VOGONS

Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 742 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Speaking of obscure though, I managed to get in touch with Ben Marty and things aren't nearly as obscure relating to him as I thought they were. His main TechnoVenture website hasn't been updated in forever, but he's also the guy behind the Scrolling Game Development Kit 2 (SGDK2) found here: http://sgdk2.sourceforge.net

Considering how very difficult it is to get into game programming these days compared to earlier days, stuff like this, which greatly simplifies the game making process so that more people can get involved with it, is made of awesome and win! :)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 743 of 3343, by lazygamereviews

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
WolverineDK wrote:

Gemini000: lovely little episode (which I saw yesterday). But I just happened to watch LGR today (yeah I actually enjoy LGR´s stuff a lot too) , and let us just say. Dear Gemini000, please do NOT ever get a beard in the style of Richard Stallman(even though that man bloody rocks, which is a completely different story). But keep on making episodes today, and having long heavy metal headbanging hair. Rocks ! ! !

Haha, the beard isn't for everyone, that's for sure!

https://www.youtube.com/lazygamereviews

Reply 744 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Filler #15 - Gemini's Music Skills is online!

I may be a decent programmer and have spent over half of my life programming, but I've actually been doing music stuff for nearly my ENTIRE life, so if you were wondering how I could have fun, intense music in the background of some of my filler videos, well, there's part of the explanation. The other part of course is lots of practice and a little bit of luck to come up with good tunes. ;)

So yeah, I'm kinda just showing off in this filler, but I've been wanting to do a music-related filler for awhile and my first attempt several months ago failed horribly because I thought I was recording Impulse Tracker stuff when I wasn't and was unable to just go back and do the entire creative process over again because it wouldn't've been sincere. :/

Make sure to stay tuned to the very end though! I've got a special musical treat for everyone and the hint for Episode 81 is displayed as text this time around.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 745 of 3343, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gemini000: Great episode, and I "guessed" it was Just Can't get Enough, you learned how to play as the second melody. But I was pleasantly surprised, that it was Bubble Bobble. Since I love that tune, even though some people are not fond of that tune, for probably the same reasons . That other people love that tune. Also it seems to me, you are fond of the old synthesizer artists (Jarre, Hammer etc.) just like me 😀 from the 80´s and early 90´s 😀

Reply 746 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 81 - Animal Quest is online!

All I gotta say about this one is: Everyone loves crossovers! ;D

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 747 of 3343, by lazygamereviews

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gemini000 wrote:

All I gotta say about this one is: Everyone loves crossovers! ;D

I'm banking on it at least 😁

https://www.youtube.com/lazygamereviews

Reply 749 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Harekiet wrote:

Ugh edutainment games, never really liked that stuff. I think i only remember playing the 3d body adventure

I actually HAVE that one... >_>;;;

Some edutainment titles are good. The one I'm doing next is pure win, though I am also going to do one or two terrible ones as the month progresses. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 751 of 3343, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just had a look at episode 50, with those shareware disks.

Something leapt out at me. A cracktro plays before the game starts, and it shows that blue screen that says "Sound Blaster Detected and Utilised".

Here's a stupid bit of trivia. That image and font actually come from Psygnosis games on the Amiga, and the text was originally "Expansion RAM Detected and utilised".

I really enjoy ADG, keep up the good work! 😀

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 753 of 3343, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gemini000 and LGR, this April fools joke, reminds me of the stuff the website retrowaretv did some years ago where you swap people around between shows. Anyway I am not going to comment on your game today or anything like that. And thank goodness I have NOT fallen for any "jokes" this year.

Reply 754 of 3343, by The Gecko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Harekiet wrote:

Ugh edutainment games, never really liked that stuff. I think i only remember playing the 3d body adventure

Now, now, let's not be hasty. Technically, the Carmen Sandiego games are 'edutainment', and they're collectively a classic!

The only real edutainment I recall playing much, aside from Carmen, was an old C=64 cart that had some spelling games on it (back when I was still just a hatchling) and Odell lake.

If all else fails, use fire.

Reply 755 of 3343, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

MECC did a lot of great Edutainment games, including Oregon Trail, Number Munchers, and a fascinating game called Freedom!, where you play a slave trying to escape the antebellum Southern U.S.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 756 of 3343, by The Gecko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, Oregon Trail. Never had that at home, but it was on some of the school computers. Many a student died of dysentery!

Good stuff, that.

Reply 757 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Gecko wrote:

Ah, Oregon Trail. Never had that at home, but it was on some of the school computers. Many a student died of dysentery!

Good stuff, that.

Would you all believe out of the three elementary schools I attended, and one middle school, only one of them had The Oregon Trail, but they didn't have typical computer classes and as such, I only ever got to play it ONCE for about 5 minutes? >_<;

Really need to get a copy of that game sometime.

Anywhoo, speaking of edutainment, Ancient DOS Games Episode 82 - Googol Math Games is online!

Nothing too much to say about this one outside of the video itself, though I'm having trouble figuring out which "activity centre" program I should cover out of the four I have, so I'm leaving it up to a vote! The choices are presented at the end of the video so make sure to send your vote to my ADG eMail address before the end of Monday! :D

*goes back to programming*

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 758 of 3343, by The Gecko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not strictly an old game (since it's a modernised flash adaptation), but you can always try the rather delightfully named "Organ Trail" here.

(it has zombies)

http://hatsproductions.com/organtrail.html

Also, I'm pretty sure the elementary school you're talking about which had the Googol games was the one we both went to.

Reply 759 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Gecko wrote:

Also, I'm pretty sure the elementary school you're talking about which had the Googol games was the one we both went to.

Yep. :)

Speaking of, do you happen to remember the name of the game in the computer lab there that had that sort of space theme going on with space stations and scaffolding and barrels and such?

Also, dunno if you heard or not, but said elementary school was shut down some time ago, dunno exactly when. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)