VOGONS

Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 781 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

WolverineDK: I think wd just likes teasing you because he knows a single short sentence can make you write paragraphs of material. After all, you haven't been banned yet, have you? ;)

Funny you mentioned the Gameboy stuff as I have attempted to homebrew my own GB games before. The results were... umm... basic. I completed three ROMs: A single screen with a sprite you could move around, a random-number guessing game, and a paralaxing starfield. Up on my DA page I have a conceptshot of what I was eventually planning to do had I kept up with it (re-tailored for PalmOS by this point): http://gemini000.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d16em0y

This was also way back before the homebrew scene was really that big and only maybe two or three people actually sold carts they made themselves from scratch, so I concluded that making homebrew stuff wasn't really going to get me anywhere I wanted to be.

I've also attempted to program for the Atari 2600 and Colecovision. The 2600 stuff I didn't get too far with because the thing is very difficult to program for. A few examples: You actually have to manually HSYNC and all the sprites and playfield stuff are 1-dimensional, meaning you have to update them every scanline too... and when James Rolfe complained about not being able to draw a line for Indiana Jones' whip... well... yeah, drawing horizontal lines is REALLY hard to do with the 2600!

As for the Colecovision though, that was more recent, and I couldn't really come up with any solid ideas I couldn't do better on the PC, so I figured it wasn't worth the effort. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 783 of 3343, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
F2bnp wrote:

I can't make any sense out of this guy...

That's what happens when you smoke marijuana every day, you become incomprehensible to everyone but yourself.

Well, as a matter of fact I have put that on hold. Second of all, I doubt it would improve my writing skills, if I used it. It is just me and my "concentrated headaches/random encounters of pure brilliance". When I some times write so much. Third, I have a feeling, that the antibiotics. That I consume would NOT enjoy my body being stoned. Okay, the reason for my absence is during this former week, is that I got my gall bladder removed, and it had more than 100 stones inside of it. And I was hospitalised from Tuesday till Saturday. So it has not been any picnic at all.

sliderider: try to have that many stones in your gall bladder ranging from small up to 2.x centimetres in size. In your gall bladder, and then have the risk of there are even more in your body, which you need a scan to get confirmed or the opposite. Then you would know what kind of hell, I have been through for the last 4 months.

Gemini000: you fucking rock 😀

Last edited by WolverineDK on 2012-04-30, 13:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 784 of 3343, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:
F2bnp wrote:

That's what happens when you smoke marijuana every day, you become incomprehensible to everyone but yourself.

http://www.troll.me/images/10-guy/how-high-are-you-yes.jpg

Reply 785 of 3343, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:
sliderider wrote:
F2bnp wrote:

http://www.troll.me/images/10-guy/how-high-are-you-yes.jpg

🤣

Reply 787 of 3343, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wd wrote:

because he knows a single short sentence can make you write paragraphs of material.

Bah don't spread the word 😉

oh well, the rumour is already out 😜

Reply 788 of 3343, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey Gemini I am a relative newcomer to this site and your videos and I must say that I really enjoy your series. I am a somewhat young person, 19 going on 20 at the time of this post and despite not growing up with the DOS game era (Was raised with Windows and didn't start trying DOS games until late 2005-2006 and so on because of availability and the evil that is Abandonware! 😜) I really do take a huge interest into DOS games and started collecting them. This show really brings me to some games that I never heard of that are pretty good. I look forward to your future episodes and other games to give a shot that I never played.

Reply 789 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SpooferJahk wrote:

Hey Gemini I am a relative newcomer to this site and your videos and I must say that I really enjoy your series. I am a somewhat young person, 19 going on 20 at the time of this post and despite not growing up with the DOS game era (Was raised with Windows and didn't start trying DOS games until late 2005-2006 and so on because of availability and the evil that is Abandonware! :P) I really do take a huge interest into DOS games and started collecting them. This show really brings me to some games that I never heard of that are pretty good. I look forward to your future episodes and other games to give a shot that I never played.

Awesomeness! Yeah, I didn't actually start collecting Atari 2600 stuff until about 6 years ago and barely played any Atari stuff as a kid. I think I played on an Atari 2600 maybe TWICE during my childhood, once for sure.

Old stuff is still fun; virtually the entire reason why both ADG and VOGONS exists! :)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 790 of 3343, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gemini000 wrote:
SpooferJahk wrote:

Hey Gemini I am a relative newcomer to this site and your videos and I must say that I really enjoy your series. I am a somewhat young person, 19 going on 20 at the time of this post and despite not growing up with the DOS game era (Was raised with Windows and didn't start trying DOS games until late 2005-2006 and so on because of availability and the evil that is Abandonware! 😜) I really do take a huge interest into DOS games and started collecting them. This show really brings me to some games that I never heard of that are pretty good. I look forward to your future episodes and other games to give a shot that I never played.

Awesomeness! Yeah, I didn't actually start collecting Atari 2600 stuff until about 6 years ago and barely played any Atari stuff as a kid. I think I played on an Atari 2600 maybe TWICE during my childhood, once for sure.

Old stuff is still fun; virtually the entire reason why both ADG and VOGONS exists! 😀

You got that right, I also think that a lot of the older games happen to be a lot more fun that the newer ones. I also like that some classic DOS games, and just older games in general, happen to do things in the game that you don't see anymore or did things way before a certain game right now did.

Reply 791 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Filler #16 - Space Fortress 2 is online... along with the actual, unfinished game for those of you who want to try it! :D

And now, since I'm dead tired, I'm going to bed. Goodnight, everyone! ^_^;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 792 of 3343, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For some reason the alien that looks like a red robot mask reminded me of Space Quarks for the Apple II, though after going back to look at it I'm not sure why.

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 794 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Qbix wrote:

Link to the game seems to be broken.

*tests it* ...no it's not, it's working perfectly fine. Try it again; maybe there was a glitch or something.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 795 of 3343, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

it points to

http://www.pixelships.com/sfort2/..\files\sfort2_v01z.zip

Which results in an error 400 bad request at my place

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 797 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Stupid backslashes. Works in some browsers, not in others. This is what happens when you edit webpages half-asleep. x_x;

In any case, it's fixed now. ^_^;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 799 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Seriously? It's not using hardware acceleration, sound effects or anything. It runs 640x480 at 256 colours so you may want to try running it in XP compatibility mode, windowed, or using the other compatibility options.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)