Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 820 of 3343, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
temptingthelure wrote:

Like the show. Some things that i find annoyying though. You randomly feature one well-known old game one episode, and have a no-name unknown dos game that only that dude that made it knows about. It generates confusion, you could have a separate section the well-known famous old titles, and one on the obscure 100kb games some dude uploaded to a server and few played.
And, I skipped those edutaintment titles, found them boring.

personally that's why I watch. in my mind, the point of reviews is to see games that I would otherwise not hear about. I think its awesome, keep up the good work!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 821 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I debated for a moment whether to pull out the evil doctor again, but then after watching Clint's old DKC review as the "Female Lazy Game Reviewer" I had a moment of inspiration and was able to whip together today's filler in about 5 hours of effort, not counting rendering time.

With that said, Ancient DOS Games Filler #17 - Epic Stunts Crash is online!

And yes, this actually happened. As proof, you can download the replay file right below the video and try it in your own copy of Stunts. However, the results might be different with different versions. My copy of Stunts is the very original, v1.0 by Broderbund. As such, it's also the most prone to glitchiness things like what happened with this replay. :P

As for me, I'm definitely on the mend, though not quite there yet. Even once I'm better enough to get back into my normal routine I don't think I'll be fully recovered for at least another week. x_x;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 826 of 3343, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Stunts is glitchy as hell. I'm pretty sure I've hit that bug just during normal play, where when you collide with something, instead of your car crashing you just ricochet backwards at the speed of sound.

Of course actually managing to hit the other car is pretty freaky 🤣

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 827 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Harekiet wrote:

I suspect someone's been busy making a stunts demo editor

That's only possible to a certain extent because AFAIK, the RPL files only store player control states and track data, in which case it would be impossible to manipulate the AI vehicle directly. I could be wrong about that, but when I glanced through the RPL file format with a hex editor awhile back there was a LOT of empty space for such a small file, and the patterns of the data looked like my own control input all the way up to the track data which is at the end of the file.

Funny thing is that when I first recorded this replay years ago and went to view it, since Stunts pre-calculates AI stuff following the player finishing a race and first shows you your replay starting at the very end, my vehicle just stayed put and Skid finished the track as expected. Then, when I rewound the replay and played it back for my first time... yeah. I think I laughed for like, two minutes straight. XD

This explains why the replay keeps going even after Skid gets slammed by my invulnerable vehicle, because it was originally calculated that he made it all the way past the finish line. Normally, the replay should've stopped the instant Skid crashed. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 828 of 3343, by lazygamereviews

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That was one seriously WTF-worthy replay! Love the random glitchy-looking moments in Stunts, keeps me coming back to it. Also nice to know the Dr. Sbaitso isn't able to murder people in their sleep, unlike some talking vintage computers I know of.

https://www.youtube.com/lazygamereviews

Reply 829 of 3343, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DonutKing wrote:

Stunts is glitchy as hell. I'm pretty sure I've hit that bug just during normal play, where when you collide with something, instead of your car crashing you just ricochet backwards at the speed of sound.

but that's half the fun in Stunts... it's like Carmageddon with a never-ending Pinball Mode powerup!

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 830 of 3343, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gemini000: I hope you get better soon, and remember not to sell your soul to the "devil" (Retrowaretv). Cause that would blow chunks. Other than that, get well soon 😀

Reply 831 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WolverineDK wrote:

Gemini000: I hope you get better soon, and remember not to sell your soul to the "devil" (Retrowaretv). Cause that would blow chunks. Other than that, get well soon :)

It's not technically selling your soul unless you lose any of your rights to your stuff in the process. Otherwise, it's just partnering so that both parties involved can reach more people, kinda like how Clint and I did that crossover at the start of April. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 833 of 3343, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

it would be funny if one car was dr. sbaitso and the other was microsoft sam. Two ganerations of minspronouncing TTS voices

no love for Talk It? 🙁 it totally validated the existence of Microsoft Plus! for Kids!

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 834 of 3343, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
VileRancour wrote:

no love for Talk It? 🙁 it totally validated the existence of Microsoft Plus! for Kids!

The willowpond one can sing randomly 🤣. Don't forget it also shipped with various Creative windows products starting in '93 (first being that talking scheduler program, the last being Mindmaker Assistant). It's immortalized by the "ShitTalker" frontend for future generations

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 835 of 3343, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gemini000: to me retrowaretv is more like the 1 % and I am a part of the 99 %. And I have used them when I needed some kind of "fix" for my hunger for retro stuff, but when people basically come under their wing. Then I feel, they have sold their soul. LGR did it, that is why I said. Please do NOT be tempted to get under the umbrella of retrowaretv. I have ranted in the past on a different forum about them. But I do enjoy some of the information they give out. I just bloody hate when they do not their "homework/research" good enough. In areas, when they started. About different stuff, one of them was their MK tribute, which lacked features / knowledge. Especially about the Amiga versions of the MK games. In some ways I see the two original people (John and Ito) as a bunch of pretentious pricks. But in other ways, they do know their shit. And I will not go into the typical censorship bullshit either, when it comes to their bleeps. But hey I am a peaceful and NON violent Danish man who is a part of the Occupy movement in Copenhagen. But I also have a love and yearning for learning about old computers and consoles and the works. So let and live. And go right ahead sell, what you can not sell 😉

wd: if you read this, then understand if you ever happen to land in Denmark, I will be welcoming you with open arms, and a beer. And if you want, then I could buy a soft drink too. Cause I do not like beer.
But if you are too afraid of coming to Denmark, if I am there .. oh well 😜 🤣

Reply 837 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

WolverineDK: In that event, "sell your soul" is not the wording you wanted to use, since that implies abandoning what got you where you are. AFAIK, Clint still has total creative freedom and rights over his own work. If he had "sold his soul" to RetrowareTV, it would imply that he doesn't. :P

TBH though, publicity is extremely hard to get without spending a fortune on advertising. I have actually had my own ads in the Google system for my games and I can tell you that it gets really expensive, really fast. After spending $400 in only two months on the cheapest Google ads I could, I compared it to the gross profits I had made in that time and it only came out to $300. Net loss of $100. :/

For a web show where the ad revenue is miniscule, running ads for the show itself is impractical and spreading the word is incredibly difficult without coming off as a self-promoting retard who doesn't care about his viewers and just wants lots of ad revenue.

My point is that places like The Escapist, RetrowareTV, Blistered Thumbs, they are designed in such a way that they expand viewership by being very particular about which shows they host, so that visitors get a choice between a small number of well-made shows, rather than a massive number of shows, most of which will be only average to poor quality. So long as I could maintain total creative freedom and rights to my stuff, I would welcome being a part of any of those places, among several others.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 838 of 3343, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gemini000: remove the money part, when it comes to ads. I think that is in violation with the Google ad stuff (mentioning how much you get out of it).

Reply 839 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That data is 7 years old, I haven't been a part of Google's ad system in almost just as long, and I haven't said what kind of ads I bought, or how many, so there's no frame of reference. Besides which, all you have to do is sign up with Google's ad program and you instantly know what kind of rates and policies they have, even if you never buy any. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)