Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Schedules and announcements about program releases.

Re: Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Postby leileilol » 2017-12-24 @ 23:28

There's also a browser extension to do this on firefox iirc, allowing non-accounts to view restricted videos..
leileilol
l33t++

Postby gerwin » 2017-12-25 @ 00:59

leileilol wrote:There's also a browser extension to do this on firefox iirc, allowing non-accounts to view restricted videos..

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... age-limit/
Works for me :) Thanks for the tip.
gerwin
l33t

Postby DracoNihil » 2017-12-25 @ 09:21

Looking at the source of the addon it simply redresses the video with a "embedded version". If the video owner disallows embedding the addon will not work.

EDIT: Here's a example of what I meant (youtube-dl piping to VLC Media Player)
Screenshot_2017-12-25_04-54-54.png
DracoNihil
Oldbie

Postby Gemini000 » 2017-12-30 @ 03:07

Ancient DOS Games Filler #69 - End of 2017 Update is online!

There was actually a lot of things which cropped up over the past couple months, so I wanted to address them all before we get back into the swing of regular ADG episodes next Saturday, thus this "quick" video which I thought was only going to be about 3 or 4 minutes long and yet it's more like 12... XP
--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg
Gemini000
Oldbie

Postby Gemini000 » 2018-1-06 @ 08:34

Time to get a proper to start to 2018 as Ancient DOS Games Episode 226 - Test Drive is online! :D

This one surprised me. Last I played this was MANY years ago in that filler video where I looked at my old Tandy 1000 SX computer, and the game played really freaking badly. When I booted this up in DOSBox I had two goals: 1. Figure out if it's even remotely playable with the keyboard, and 2. Try to get it playing better.

Sure enough, you can really manipulate the input mapping to make this game WAY more playable than ever before, so this is something I go into greater detail with later in the episode! :)

...but it can still be beaten in under 15 minutes and has very little in the way of variety. :P
--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
Gemini000
Oldbie

Postby Gemini000 » 2018-1-13 @ 06:57

Ancient DOS Games Filler #70 - DOSBox Keymapper is online!

...yeah... I kinda got sick right after the first ADG episode of the year went live... >_>;

I was mostly recovered about halfway through the week but that wasn't enough time to put together the episode I had planned, so instead I decided to throw a quick filler video together to talk about the DOSBox Keymapper in more detail, since I mention it routinely for adjusting controls and making controls work better in games, but I remembered how incredibly intimidated I was by it when I first tried to use it many years ago and thought it would be good to go over the basics and give practical examples of what it can do! :)
--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
Gemini000
Oldbie

Postby HunterZ » 2018-1-13 @ 15:08

I tried to use the keymapper to remap joystick actions for Wing Commander 1. Ended up unsatisfied for reasons I can't remember, so I switched to joy2key and was much happier.
HunterZ
l33t++

Postby Gemini000 » 2018-1-13 @ 18:57

HunterZ wrote:I tried to use the keymapper to remap joystick actions for Wing Commander 1. Ended up unsatisfied for reasons I can't remember, so I switched to joy2key and was much happier.

Joy2Key can do more than DOSBox's keymapper for sure, but then it's another program to worry about when playing a game. Really depends on which works better for what you're trying to do. :B
--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
Gemini000
Oldbie

Postby Gemini000 » 2018-1-20 @ 17:32

Ancient DOS Games Episode 227 - Secret Agent is online!

This is another example of a game I don't personally like, but where I recognize that there are people who could surely enjoy it since it's not all bad. Heck, many of the game's issues can be overcome with practice, worked around, or just simply ignored... but that didn't make it any more enjoyable for me.

In fact, the reason this is up half a day later than usual is because I was unsatisfied with how negative my original script for this turned out and I realized that the game wasn't bad enough to deserve that kind of treatment, so I redid the script, revoiced it, and I'm a lot more satisfied with the result, as I point out several positive aspects and even make notes on how to deal with some of the bugs and issues in order to make the game more enjoyable.

...still doesn't make the level design any better though. I swear I got trapped, unable to proceed or backtrack, at least five separate times trying to play through this thing and it took awhile to figure out that trick for dealing with one-block-tall gaps. :P
--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
Gemini000
Oldbie

Previous

Return to Release Announcements