Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 2820 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
James-F wrote:

Unless it's your primary way of income, you shouldn't be bothered by opinions, not one bit.

Typically I get around 5% thumbs downs on my videos. I pulled this one as it was approaching 25% thumbs downs. o_o;

Apparently, there's been a couple things going on in both gaming and journalism which led to the backlash I just experienced which completely blindsided me. I need to learn more about what happened so I can properly convey my confusion and everything at the start of the revised video. :|

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 2821 of 3343, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yes, theres generally more to it, like "he dares to say something i don't approve of, how dare he post without my written consent";
imho ignore it, it's not your task to appease people who don't give a s**t about You;

Reply 2822 of 3343, by switchblade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did watch the video before you took it down.

Quite honestly, out of all the things wrong with Pickle Wars, that so-called "misogyny" remark was one of the most pointless things to criticize about. Yes, it's a shitty joke that the guy made, but it only lasts for a moment and it apparently doesn't happen again throughout the rest of the game. And no, I didn't agree with the stupid joke being made, but I also want to point out that you literally flew off the handle there when addressing that joke.

Apparently, there's been a couple things going on in both gaming and journalism which led to the backlash I just experienced which completely blindsided me. I need to learn more about what happened so I can properly convey my confusion and everything at the start of the revised video. 😐

There's nothing to talk about in regards to both video games and journalism. No need to bring up that nonsense (GamerGate) in a show aimed at talking about old DOS games.

Reply 2824 of 3343, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I kinda wish I would've seen Episode 211 while I still had the chance. I can't believe people are still backing fucking GamerGate.

Honestly, I think GG is nothing more than a sexist movement that claims to back something that I know doesn't exist; that being so-called "ethics" in gaming journalism. Newsflash for them; reviewers have been getting kickbacks from game companies for a very, VERY long time, since the nineteen-fucking-eighties. And ultimately, it doesn't really matter either. It might matter for game sales, sure, but it's not like gaming publications are spreading political propaganda, unless you count encouraging capitalism by encouraging game sales, but that's stretching it.

GamerGate is an excellent example of making a mountain out of a molehill; the game that GG got all pissed off over, Depression Quest, was just a small time freeware indie game. Aside from donations, Zoe Quinn wasn't looking to make money off of it.

Reply 2825 of 3343, by switchblade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Before he reposts Episode 211, I might as well point out what the controversial thing was about for those that didn't watch it the first time around:

Early on in the review, one of the male characters in the game says something like this to a woman character in-game: "You're not bad.... for a girl, that is. Aww, come on! I was just joking!" Apparently, Kris went on a small tirade about how misogynistic those remarks were, and that it didn't matter if it was a man or woman that programmed the game, the game shouldn't promote such "misogyny" to little children.

And then, some YouTube commentators started chiding and criticizing Kris for acting like a wuss, a liberal, or an SJW for over blowing something so minor out of proportion.

It's kinda pathetic that a review had to be taken down for something so inconsequential like that misogynistic remark.

Reply 2828 of 3343, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

The older I get, the less I like people, and the more I like my dog.

not sure how you mean that;
also before You people judge him remember that this is what this stupid society does with men;

Reply 2829 of 3343, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

is it not obvious? I like people less and less, I like my dog more and more. I mean I dont like people for all the people shit they do (in general)

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2830 of 3343, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

is it not obvious? I like people less and less, I like my dog more and more. I mean I dont like people for all the people shit they do (in general)

please don't get stressed, horny guy, i didn't mean this in a bad way
i kinda have the same thing, difference is i was labeled antisocial by family and "professionals" and therefore had more trouble with this than necessary (still do)

Reply 2831 of 3343, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I want to get this shirt:

https://image.spreadshirtmedia.com/image-serv … n-s-t-shirt.jpg

Buy honestly, who would ever see it?

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2833 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
switchblade wrote:

Quite honestly, out of all the things wrong with Pickle Wars, that so-called "misogyny" remark was one of the most pointless things to criticize about.

I would disagree as to it being a pointless thing to criticise, but I do admit that the response I gave in expressing my opinion was a little excessive. I just thought the opinion would be more universally accepted which is why I wasn't afraid to go a bit off the rails with it. :B

switchblade wrote:

There's nothing to talk about in regards to both video games and journalism. No need to bring up that nonsense (GamerGate) in a show aimed at talking about old DOS games.

I don't intend to as I know literally nothing about this "GamerGate" thing, whatever it is/was, but I still intend to look up a couple things all the same just so I don't screw up my forward in the revised video.

mrau wrote:

now i wonder if it's mostly men who downvoted your clip

My audience for ADG is 98% men, so... probably. :P

switchblade wrote:

It's kinda pathetic that a review had to be taken down for something so inconsequential like that misogynistic remark.

I almost didn't and spent nearly a half hour debating the decision while dealing with comments. I ultimately made my decision based on a simple factor: If I left the video up, it would be there FOREVER. Since 95% of the rest of the video was fine, and because I felt I could express the same opinion in a more calm and collected way without the rage, especially after I do some research on some of the things people we're bringing up which I had no clue about, I'd rather do that and have a thoughtful response on such a sensitive topic, rather than a sensational one, thus why I took the video down.

luckybob wrote:

The older I get, the less I like people, and the more I like my dog.

Unlike mrau, I totally understand what you mean by this. :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 2834 of 3343, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Remember that there are a lot of "abandonware fan's" that seek it as if it were an "age of games before women gamers" rather ignorantly. 🙁

It's absolutely ignorant. My mother has been playing video games for over two decades, and she didn't get into video games to look cool either.

Reply 2835 of 3343, by switchblade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gemini000 wrote:

I just thought the opinion would be more universally accepted which is why I wasn't afraid to go a bit off the rails with it. :B

You'd be surprised. Some opinions that you'd think are universally accepted can sometimes be the exact opposite of that.

Gemini000 wrote:

I almost didn't and spent nearly a half hour debating the decision while dealing with comments. I ultimately made my decision based on a simple factor: If I left the video up, it would be there FOREVER. Since 95% of the rest of the video was fine, and because I felt I could express the same opinion in a more calm and collected way without the rage, especially after I do some research on some of the things people we're bringing up which I had no clue about, I'd rather do that and have a thoughtful response on such a sensitive topic, rather than a sensational one, thus why I took the video down.

And that's perfectly fine. At first I was kinda surprised that you took the original review down because of some inconsequential remark, but then again, it's also important to do a better job explaining a certain topic that could easily be received the wrong way by certain people. Even though I don't agree with the stupid joke, others can make the argument that you went REALLY over the top in your response there and they wouldn't be wrong about that.

Reply 2836 of 3343, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition's expansion pack, Siege of Dragonspear, in addition to a minor character who can reveal that she is transgendered, had a line of dialog which caused a huge uproar because of its invocation of the GamerGate controversy. The line eventually got removed.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 2837 of 3343, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Great Hierophant wrote:

The Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition's expansion pack, Siege of Dragonspear, in addition to a minor character who can reveal that she is transgendered, had a line of dialog which caused a huge uproar because of its invocation of the GamerGate controversy. The line eventually got removed.

why does that even matter?

Reply 2838 of 3343, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Reminds me of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20syY2esBOM

Though no thumb brigade there because it's an old video and is probably promoting their favorite misogyny game.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2839 of 3343, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wrong area

Last edited by PhilsComputerLab on 2017-05-09, 11:14. Edited 1 time in total.

YouTube, Facebook, Website