Topic actions

Reply 2840 of 3346, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
leileilol wrote:

Remember that there are a lot of "abandonware fan's" that seek it as if it were an "age of games before women gamers" rather ignorantly. 🙁

It's absolutely ignorant. My mother has been playing video games for over two decades, and she didn't get into video games to look cool either.

Indeed. Now if the reasoning was "an age of games before they were contaminated with shitty political pretense and weaponized as ego-boosters for humanities dropouts", I'd be on board.

"Controversies" like this are why the next dominant human civilization needs to come with a reset button.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 2841 of 3346, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The revised Ancient DOS Games Episode 211 - Pickle Wars is online!

The revision is 95% the same as the original. The only changes is that the ragey part which so many people didn't like was removed and I added a short on-camera section at the start of the video to explain what happened and present the same opinion I originally expressed in a more calm and thoughtful way.

I think this is the better way to do this given the sensitivity of that specific topic. Besides, there's plenty more rage to go around for the rest of the game's brokenness! :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 2843 of 3346, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

There's still despicable red pillers in the comments and a heavy dislike ratio though. maybe it's them that should grow a thicker skin

The dislike ratio is starting to even out to where it was with the original video and I've moderated the comments a little to remove the most hateful/baseless responses, but overall the comments aren't NEARLY the minefield this time around that they were with the original upload. Some good ones include:

I think you handled this right. I wasn't ready to rage, but it was just a bit overblown at least from the footage shown. Your opinions are valid, and though I disagree with you, I am glad to see you put the work into a revision and very sound explanation. Keep the great oldies coming!

Keep on doing you man. I did not see the video in question but your passion alone makes me excited for every new video. You have introduced a lot of great gamest that I most likely wouldn't have heard of otherwise and I thank you for that.

to everyone down voting or saying kris has a "political opinion" you disagree with... if "treating other people with kindness and respect" is a "political opinion" that you disagree with ... then you probably should take a good, hard look at your politics, because you're basically a disney villain.

Actually, a substantial number of the downvotes were in the first 20 minutes of the video going live, which I think can be attributed to people downvoting the video simply because it EXISTS and not because they actually rewatched it. :P

In any case, there's nothing even remotely offensive left in the video, at least from the perspective of anyone sane and respectful, so it'll stay up now, for better or worse. :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2844 of 3346, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

There's still despicable red pillers in the comments and a heavy dislike ratio though. maybe it's them that should grow a thicker skin

Agreed. Redpillers say feminists should grow thicker skin, yet THEY themselves are the thin skinned ones.

Reply 2845 of 3346, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
leileilol wrote:

Agreed. Redpillers say feminists should grow thicker skin, yet THEY themselves are the thin skinned ones.

first time i hear of this, can You give examples?

Reply 2846 of 3346, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mrau wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
leileilol wrote:

It's actually pretty simple: Someone getting upset about someone else's sane and rational opinion shows that the person getting upset is almost certainly more easily offended, and thus thinner skinned, especially when considering that the person with the sane and rational opinion needs to be able to endure the attacks of the upset people, thus being thicker skinned. Doesn't ALWAYS work out this way, but a lot of the time. :B

However, this only holds true with sane and rational opinions. If an opinion is based on assumptions, lies, or debunked facts, then clinging to such an opinion is often really, really dumb. To that end, if I have an opinion on something based on misinformation and I learn the truth, I will always retract my previous opinion. We're all Human, we make mistakes, and being able to admit to that can be surprisingly challenging for some people, especially when their own financial or social status is on the line. My own morals, ethics and beliefs demand that I own up to my mistakes, regardless of the consequences, and amazingly... I've found even THIS behaviour can upset people. o_O

...we live in a really weird world. :|

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2847 of 3346, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

actually both behaviours are one and the same - fight others for your perceived position; i have views that strongly differ from yours on the topic in question but i'll agree this society has become a weird and fiendish place

Reply 2848 of 3346, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gemini000 wrote:
It's actually pretty simple: Someone getting upset about someone else's sane and rational opinion shows that the person getting […]
Show full quote
mrau wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

It's actually pretty simple: Someone getting upset about someone else's sane and rational opinion shows that the person getting upset is almost certainly more easily offended, and thus thinner skinned, especially when considering that the person with the sane and rational opinion needs to be able to endure the attacks of the upset people, thus being thicker skinned. Doesn't ALWAYS work out this way, but a lot of the time. :B

However, this only holds true with sane and rational opinions. If an opinion is based on assumptions, lies, or debunked facts, then clinging to such an opinion is often really, really dumb. To that end, if I have an opinion on something based on misinformation and I learn the truth, I will always retract my previous opinion. We're all Human, we make mistakes, and being able to admit to that can be surprisingly challenging for some people, especially when their own financial or social status is on the line. My own morals, ethics and beliefs demand that I own up to my mistakes, regardless of the consequences, and amazingly... I've found even THIS behaviour can upset people. 😮

...we live in a really weird world. 😐

Thank you!

Reply 2849 of 3346, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 212 - Quest for Glory II is online!

So... something a very small number of people have accused me of (primarily on YouTube) is being terrible at inventory-based adventure games and that I shouldn't play them because I seem to hate them all. I think we kinda got off on the wrong foot this year in that regards, with my prior years as proof given multiple inventory adventures I was perfectly fine with, plus today's game, which despite not getting very far into, I had fun playing. :)

Quest for Glory II is better than the original in almost every way, save for travelling the streets of Shapeir prior to getting a map and the extremely linear nature of the main story, which thankfully is masked extremely well by the side quests and objects you have to complete. In fact, because this game is such a step above, and because it requires no knowledge of the first game to play, it's able to stand alone and I feel is more approachable than the first game for anyone who's never played any of them! :o

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2850 of 3346, by Calvero

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gemini000 wrote:

The revision is 95% the same as the original. The only changes is that the ragey part which so many people didn't like was removed and I added a short on-camera section at the start of the video to explain what happened and present the same opinion I originally expressed in a more calm and thoughtful way.

I think this is the better way to do this given the sensitivity of that specific topic. Besides, there's plenty more rage to go around for the rest of the game's brokenness! 😜

The developer of Pickle Wars, Karen Chun, posted some comments on this video.

Reply 2851 of 3346, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Calvero wrote:
Gemini000 wrote:

I think this is the better way to do this given the sensitivity of that specific topic. Besides, there's plenty more rage to go around for the rest of the game's brokenness! :P

The developer of Pickle Wars, Karen Chun, posted some comments on this video.

Actually, she posted so many replies to other commenters that it tripped YouTube's spam detection and I had to approve them all manually. XD

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2852 of 3346, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 213 - Syndicate is online! ...and the brand new mature content warning which doesn't eat up 30 to 40 seconds is finally here! ;D

Anywhoo, one of the interesting things about my own history and Syndicate is that I never played the original, but I did play a demo of the sequel, Syndicate Wars, back when it was brand new. I had no idea what I was doing in that game, but was somehow surviving and making progress all the same so... it's weird. For whatever reason, I can play almost all of Bullfrog's games easily, regardless of how complex or difficulty they really are...

...but in the case of today's game, I could very much sense that what they were trying to make and what they ended up with were not one and the same, given that Syndicate started out as a multiplayer game but became single player only at the last minute, only to have multiplayer restored with the later expansion. You can feel it in how it plays, how the features work, and how there's very little in the way of strategy to use when facing the AI: You either persuade everyone, kill everyone, do a mix of these, and that's pretty much how every mission goes. :P

...still fun though. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2853 of 3346, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't played Syndicate in a while, but I'm pretty sure there is a way to select only two or three agents to give commands to. I'll have to fire it up again to confirm this though.

Another thing, Syndicate is a game where I seriously recommend reading the manual if you want to know what to do. If you don't read the manual, then you lose out on a lot of important information, since the game doesn't do a good job of telling you how to do things. It is understandable though, since games of the time often assumed that players would RTFM. 😉

Reply 2854 of 3346, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, IIRC you can shift select your agents in Syndicate (it might be control select).

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2855 of 3346, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I haven't played Syndicate in a while, but I'm pretty sure there is a way to select only two or three agents to give commands to. I'll have to fire it up again to confirm this though.

gdjacobs wrote:

Yes, IIRC you can shift select your agents in Syndicate (it might be control select).

Nope. I just went to double-check that I wasn't crazy and no, it's not possible, not even when playing the expansion content. The manual only indicates you can select individual units or the entire group.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2857 of 3346, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gemini000 wrote:

Nope. I just went to double-check that I wasn't crazy and no, it's not possible, not even when playing the expansion content. The manual only indicates you can select individual units or the entire group.

I went to double check that I wasn't crazy and it turns out I was. I did not recall correctly, you can only select all or one.

Reply 2858 of 3346, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:
Gemini000 wrote:

I went to double check that I wasn't crazy and it turns out I was. I did not recall correctly, you can only select all or one.

I did the exact same thing. 🤣 Unfortunately, Syndicate is not nearly as fun as I remember it being. It would be much, much more playable if it had view rotation and some way to look inside buildings. Of course, I think they added these things with Syndicate Wars, so I might have to load that up instead.

Reply 2859 of 3346, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hey, still fun running around with your goons fomenting all kinds of destruction.