Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Schedules and announcements about program releases.

Re: Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Postby Joey_sw » 2017-9-10 @ 02:45

Gemini000 wrote:Also, I wasn't actually aware that the red/cyan/white mode didn't work properly without the machine type being set to CGA. Makes sense, really, just didn't know it. :B

Now that you mention it, i just try them on Nvidia GT620, and indeed the cyan/red doesn't works with that stuff it just shows the usual cyan/magenta instead.
Bades on my memory, I can only sure that it was working on pre-svga vga, at least on Realtek (256KB DRAM).
I never try that mode again during SVGA times.
-fffuuu
Joey_sw
Oldbie

Postby Gemini000 » 2017-9-10 @ 03:55

Joey_sw wrote:
Gemini000 wrote:Also, I wasn't actually aware that the red/cyan/white mode didn't work properly without the machine type being set to CGA. Makes sense, really, just didn't know it. :B

Now that you mention it, i just try them on Nvidia GT620, and indeed the cyan/red doesn't works with that stuff it just shows the usual cyan/magenta instead.
Bades on my memory, I can only sure that it was working on pre-svga vga, at least on Realtek (256KB DRAM).
I never try that mode again during SVGA times.

Your video card shouldn't have an effect on that. The machine type determines what features DOSBox emulates, so a machine type of CGA should make the red/cyan/white show up with PopCorn while most any other machine type won't. I imagine Tandy machine type would still work. Actually... lemme test that...

*does so*

...yup, also works with the Tandy machine setting! :)

EDIT: Oh wait, you meant on real hardware. Yeah, a lot of CGA tricks don't work on most actual graphics cards, such as the 160x100 16 colour mode since it's technically a hacked text mode. ;)
--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg
Gemini000
Oldbie

Postby Joey_sw » 2017-9-10 @ 04:29

Gemini000 wrote:EDIT: Oh wait, you meant on real hardware. Yeah, a lot of CGA tricks don't work on most actual graphics cards, such as the 160x100 16 colour mode since it's technically a hacked text mode. ;)

Yeah, i tried on on real hardware using bootable usb (freedos, with microsoft QBasic program included in it).
-fffuuu
Joey_sw
Oldbie

Postby Gemini000 » 2017-9-16 @ 15:00

Ancient DOS Games Episode 223 - Street Fighter II is online!

I haven't had a decent sleep in two days now so... I'm gonna go do that. Enjoy this extra long and atypical ADG video, everyone! :)
--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg
Gemini000
Oldbie

Postby switchblade » 2017-9-17 @ 02:57

If you ever get the chance, will you be able to review Super Street Fighter II Turbo for DOS? Because it's far superior to both SF2 and SSF2 for DOS.

The only real issue the SSF2T port for DOS has is bigger sprites compared to the background graphics, and some missing frames of animation on some of the fighters. Apart from that, it's a very good port.
switchblade

Postby F2bnp » 2017-9-17 @ 10:35

Pretty much what switchblade said. SSF2 for DOS is not a bad port, but it actually came out after SSF2T which was released in 1995 and is pretty close to arcade perfect, where as SSF2 is a port from the SNES.
F2bnp
l33t

Postby Joey_sw » 2017-9-18 @ 08:11

The SF2 for DOS somehow remind me one of SF2 bootlegs for NES, yes its NES not SNES.
-fffuuu
Joey_sw
Oldbie

Previous

Return to Release Announcements