Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Schedules and announcements about program releases.

Re: Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Postby Gemini000 » 2010-11-26 @ 18:15

HunterZ wrote:One last thing: One of your early episodes' hint for a following episode's game was a palindrome related to "purple". That didn't seem to match the description of whatever the following game was, so I was wondering what it was supposed to be?

Oh it matched perfectly, you probably misinterpreted it. My exact words were:

"The title has a theme of purple in it and if you turn the title around, it actually remains the same title."

By "turn around" I meant literally spinning the title around by 180-degrees. (The design of the Tyrian logo remains virtually the same if you spin the image 180-degrees.)

The theme of purple is because the word "tyrian" refers to a vivid shade of purple originally produced as an incredibly expensive dye in the ancient city of Tyre by Phoenicians. The power-up orbs in the Arcade Mode are also purple. ;)
--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg
User avatar
Gemini000
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1971
Joined: 2010-5-18 @ 10:12
Location: Canada

Re: Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Postby HunterZ » 2010-11-26 @ 19:22

Ah, okay. Tyrian is one of the games that went onto my to-do list after watching ADG. I've only played the iPhone port, which (like many ports) does not transfer well to the touch screen format.
User avatar
HunterZ
l33t++
 
Posts: 6048
Joined: 2003-1-31 @ 19:04
Location: Seattle

Re: Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Postby WolverineDK » 2010-11-26 @ 20:33

HunterZ wrote:It was assembly code. I've been intending to put it up somewhere (don't know who would be interested, though, and VOGONS wisely tries to steer clear of abandonware) but revisiting my old floppy disks is a project I've been putting off for quite a while.


ASSEMbler Home Of The Obscure is a great place for that, two things I must say is this first of all read the rules/guide lines, introduce yourself, at our thread, and write a PM to the administrator who calls himself ASSEMbler on the forum , he is a cool guy about such things, and try to talk to him about, how to get it on rails. Cause he is a guy who knows his shit, but also there are LOTS of knowledgeable people, and quite a few programmers there too. Just become a member there, write a PM to ASSEMbler himself, but do that after you have read the rules/guidelines and introduced yourself. I can personally vouch for ASSEMbler, he is a cool guy, and knows his stuff. Whether it is legal side of things or any other stuff . So if everything goes through, then I think quite a few people would love to get their hands on the assembler code, and if you need an upload link, I am good for uploading stuff, or just making a mirror. Since the scene has given so much to me, when it comes to knowledge, that I feel I want to give something back. But as on MANY forums, asshats will be banned faster than, you can take a dump while having the runs , or you have taken a laxative .
Last edited by WolverineDK on 2010-11-27 @ 11:03, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
WolverineDK
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1085
Joined: 2006-7-16 @ 21:00
Location: Denmark

Re: Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Postby Gemini000 » 2010-11-27 @ 10:09

Ancient DOS Games Episode 26 - Normality is online!

Yeah, I know, this episode didn't quite hit the same level of quality of my other episodes. IE: It sounds rushed. The crazy thing is my rehersal sounded much better and far more natural, but I couldn't simply use it because of all the errors I make during rehersal. Ah well.

(Yes, I've been scripting since Episode 16. It saves time, results in fewer "like I mean"s, and lets me be more informative.)

Normality's my favourite inventory-based adventure game, followed by Space Quest. I'll have to do that one sometime. I actually first played Normality as a demo version which only contained Kent's apartment.
--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg
User avatar
Gemini000
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1971
Joined: 2010-5-18 @ 10:12
Location: Canada

Re: Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Postby F2bnp » 2010-11-27 @ 10:37

Heh I knew I had found it. I even sent you an email, don't know if you received it. Going to watch it now, great game :)
User avatar
F2bnp
l33t
 
Posts: 3127
Joined: 2007-9-23 @ 10:19

Re: Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Postby Gemini000 » 2010-11-27 @ 12:24

Presently, I respond to ALL legitimate eMails, so if you haven't heard back from me then either your message got filtered as spam on my side or my response got filtered as spam on your side. Might want to look into that.
--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg
User avatar
Gemini000
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1971
Joined: 2010-5-18 @ 10:12
Location: Canada

Re: Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Postby F2bnp » 2010-11-27 @ 12:36

Indeed it was filtered as spam. :P
Anyway, nice episode!
User avatar
F2bnp
l33t
 
Posts: 3127
Joined: 2007-9-23 @ 10:19

Re: Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Postby HunterZ » 2010-11-27 @ 20:00

WolverineDK wrote:
HunterZ wrote:It was assembly code. I've been intending to put it up somewhere (don't know who would be interested, though, and VOGONS wisely tries to steer clear of abandonware) but revisiting my old floppy disks is a project I've been putting off for quite a while.


ASSEMbler Home Of The Obscure is a great place for that, two things I must say is this first of all read the rules/guide lines, introduce yourself, at our thread, and write a PM to the administrator who calls himself ASSEMbler on the forum , he is a cool guy about such things, and try to talk to him about, how to get it on rails. Cause he is a guy who knows his shit, but also there are LOTS of knowledgeable people, and quite a few programmers there too. Just become a member there, write a PM to ASSEMbler himself, but do that after you have read the rules/guidelines and introduced yourself. I can personally vouch for ASSEMbler, he is a cool guy, and knows his stuff. Whether it is legal side of things or any other stuff . So if everything goes through, then I think quite a few people would love to get their hands on the assembler code, and if you need an upload link, I am good for uploading stuff, or just making a mirror. Since the scene has given so much to me, when it comes to knowledge, that I feel I want to give something back. But as on MANY forums, asshats will be banned faster than, you can take a dump while having the runs , or you have taken a laxative .

Well my memory must be faulty. There don't seem to be any undeleteable files on my Double Dragon III disk and it's almost full of installer files, so either I wiped them out permanently somehow (unlikely) or was thinking of a different game. It could be Ninja Gaiden, but my disk for that seems to be unreadable now :(
User avatar
HunterZ
l33t++
 
Posts: 6048
Joined: 2003-1-31 @ 19:04
Location: Seattle

Re: Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Postby wd » 2010-11-27 @ 20:29

ASSEMbler Home Of The Obscure is a great place for that

Is this where you called QBix a wanker? Nice move to advertise it here.
wd
DOSBox Author
 
Posts: 10818
Joined: 2003-12-03 @ 21:23

Re: Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Postby keropi » 2010-11-27 @ 21:22

nice episode!!!
did they ever release an update patch for normality?
User avatar
keropi
l33t++
 
Posts: 5520
Joined: 2003-9-08 @ 06:45
Location: Greece

Re: Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Postby HunterZ » 2010-11-28 @ 04:13

Ah, I found the source code - it was for Double Dragon II, which I forgot I had the original disks for! The source code is actually in an undeleted archive called DRGNSRC.LZH, which contains a bunch of .ASM files (assembly code, presumably).
User avatar
HunterZ
l33t++
 
Posts: 6048
Joined: 2003-1-31 @ 19:04
Location: Seattle

Re: Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Postby Gemini000 » 2010-12-04 @ 12:14

Ancient DOS Games Episode 27 - Bubble Ghost is online!

Yeah, the sound gets a little distorted at a couple points. I REALLY need a new microphone. The one I'm using is terrible; I have to apply about a gazillion filters to make it sound good. :P

Probably will do a filler episode or two early before Episode 30 since Christmas is coming up soon. If anyone has any ideas for what you'd like me to talk about or demonstrate, feel free to suggest them! :)
--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg
User avatar
Gemini000
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1971
Joined: 2010-5-18 @ 10:12
Location: Canada

Re: Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Postby WolverineDK » 2010-12-04 @ 18:27

I am watching the show right now (good show, and I had an obvious idea about it was that game), And a pretty good pronunciation of the name of that ghost, why do I compliment you on that ? well because the German "ch" sound can be a trouble some adventure , unless you know how to pronounce it of course, so I am enjoying your show immensely :) Also I have a German friend who told me, that the "ch" is pronounced by Germans, as either the normal "ch" sound (K) or the "sch" sound , or the a "hhe"(hissing sound). My middle name for instance has a "ch" in it, and that can be either pronounced as any of the three, depending on where the German person is from. But I must mention, the "ch" sound is NEVER as in Richard (English version). Unless if we take some English man or woman who is named that way. Sorry to go all grammar on it, and if a German wants to correct my ramblings, then be my guest and go ahead :) Since even I am NOT perfect, since I only have a fraction of German knowledge, and I know how to pronounce the German words (I can hold a German speech , and pronounce it correctly), but I do not speak the beautiful language. And neither can I think it.
Last edited by WolverineDK on 2011-10-10 @ 11:55, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
WolverineDK
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1085
Joined: 2006-7-16 @ 21:00
Location: Denmark

Re: Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Postby HunterZ » 2010-12-04 @ 20:13

English and German have a lot of similarities, but German is much more guttural. When in doubt, swallow your tongue lol

That was the only episode I've felt was fairly short, but it felt like the right length for the game. It even covered differences with graphics modes and ports to other platforms.
User avatar
HunterZ
l33t++
 
Posts: 6048
Joined: 2003-1-31 @ 19:04
Location: Seattle

Re: Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Postby Gemini000 » 2010-12-04 @ 20:16

WolverineDK wrote:I am watching the show right now (good show, and I had an obvious idea about it was that game), And a pretty good pronunciation of the name of that ghost, why do I compliment you on that ? well because the German "ch" sound can be a trouble some adventure , unless you know how to pronounce it of course, so I am enjoying your show immensely :)

I always try to make sure I get the names of things pronounced correctly. That particular character's name in Bubble Ghost took numerous attempts to get even close to right and I'm still not 100% certain if I did or not. :P

Glad you're enjoying the show too! :)

HunterZ wrote:English and German have a lot of similarities, but German is much more guttural. When in doubt, swallow your tongue lol

That was the only episode I've felt was fairly short, but it felt like the right length for the game. It even covered differences with graphics modes and ports to other platforms.

Well, it was hard to figure out what to say about the game that wouldn't be too redundant. 8 minutes is about as short as I'll let these episodes get.
--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg
User avatar
Gemini000
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1971
Joined: 2010-5-18 @ 10:12
Location: Canada

Re: Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Postby HunterZ » 2010-12-04 @ 20:22

I think it was a perfect length for the particular game being reviewed. I'm still enjoying the show and plan to keep following it!
User avatar
HunterZ
l33t++
 
Posts: 6048
Joined: 2003-1-31 @ 19:04
Location: Seattle

Re: Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Postby Gemini000 » 2010-12-11 @ 10:51

Ancient DOS Games Episode 28 - FX Fighter is online!

Hopefully I haven't broken my Virtua Fighter and Tekken skills after playing this thing... the controls are something else... >_>;

Curiously, FX Fighter is one of those games that looks and sounds much better than it plays. Games like that are always bittersweet for me because I find myself wanting to play such games just to see more of the graphics and hear more of the music, even though I can't stand the gameplay. :P

On a side note, I've owned this game for about 9 years now... and only JUST took it out of its original packaging to make this review. Strange but true. It's not that my game collection is massive and I just never got around to it, I think it's because every time the desire to play it struck, some other game on my CD rack would cross my eyes and I'd think, "actually, let's go play that one instead". ^_^;
--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg
User avatar
Gemini000
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1971
Joined: 2010-5-18 @ 10:12
Location: Canada

Re: Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Postby WolverineDK » 2010-12-11 @ 11:17

Gemini000: you could (more like should to me anyway) have mentioned its (the game) console past/background cause the FX Fighter was originally made to be used on the PC-FX console (hence the name probably) Even though some people disputes, that the PC-FX "FX Fighter" should not be confused with the other game, but never the less. I think you should also have mentioned there were plans about an FX Fighter ("powered" by the FX2 chip) on the SNES. But good review, and the difference between a good review, and a great review in retrospect is doing some research/ground work. So good review, and you talked about not finding a complete moves list.. have you checked gamefaqs two moves list files ?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/197413-fx-fighter/faqs
User avatar
WolverineDK
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1085
Joined: 2006-7-16 @ 21:00
Location: Denmark

Re: Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Postby HunterZ » 2010-12-11 @ 17:17

Gemini: Great episode! I like how you use a keyboard mockup to show the (default) controls in games where the controls are noteworthy in some way. I also thought that the DOSBox-related tips near the end were excellent.

I'm not a huge fan of fighting games (mostly because I suck at them) so I'll probably give this one a pass as your recommended in your review. I've always liked OMF2097 quite a bit though, so I downloaded the freeware version of that after seeing your review of it :)
User avatar
HunterZ
l33t++
 
Posts: 6048
Joined: 2003-1-31 @ 19:04
Location: Seattle

Re: Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Postby Gemini000 » 2010-12-11 @ 19:10

WolverineDK wrote:Gemini000: you could (more like should to me anyway) have mentioned its (the game) console past/background cause the FX Fighter was originally made to be used on the PC-FX console (hence the name probably) Even though some people disputes, that the PC-FX "FX Fighter" should not be confused with the other game, but never the less. I think you should also have mentioned there were plans about an FX Fighter ("powered" by the FX2 chip) on the SNES. But good review, and the difference between a good review, and a great review in retrospect is doing some research/ground work. So good review,

Actually, I did know all that, but it kinda skipped my mind to talk about it in the review. It's surprisingly hard to cover absolutely every little tid-bit! I could always add this information to the information/corrections section on the video page. ;)

WolverineDK wrote:and you talked about not finding a complete moves list.. have you checked gamefaqs two moves list files ?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/197413-fx-fighter/faqs

Neither of those move lists are complete. Part of the problem is an official complete move list was never released, (at least as far as I can tell), not even in the documentation, so the unofficial lists have to be built by copying moves other people have found or by finding moves out on one's own.
--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg
User avatar
Gemini000
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1971
Joined: 2010-5-18 @ 10:12
Location: Canada

PreviousNext

Return to Release Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests