VOGONS

Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 1260 of 3354, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I knew what game it was when heard the clue in the episode, but I also knew that it was popular enough that the requisite number of correct guesses had certainly already been sent by then.

Reply 1261 of 3354, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Well, I just watched your 3D Dinosaur Adventure review and all I can say is OMG OMG OMG OMG YOU'RE COVERING (moderator edit: censored! --HunterZ) 😁 😁 😁

As you can see, I love that game. 🤣

VileRancour wrote:

You know, it would be nice if you edited that out... the whole idea of "send your guesses by email" works because it doesn't spoil the process for everyone, no matter how obvious you think it is. 😉

luckybob wrote:

wait... mr bigmouth spoiled it for everyone by shouting out the answer?

Who would have thought...

Gemini000 wrote:

Well, despite his attempt to spoil it (presuming he was right) there were already 23 guesses sent in by the time he made that post. ;D

Guesses have tapered off quite a bit though so I don't expect too many more to come in, but you never know. Only need 5 more to match the number of guesses sent in for Duke Nukem 3D and one more following to break the record! 😄

I will note too that not all 23 guesses have been right. Just sayin'. 😉

HunterZ wrote:

I knew what game it was when heard the clue in the episode, but I also knew that it was popular enough that the requisite number of correct guesses had certainly already been sent by then.

Sorry about that, I was just excited. 😁

But yeah, I didn't know it wasn't considered kosher to guess it right on the forums. 😉 I understand why now.

Reply 1263 of 3354, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HunterZ wrote:

Funny that you should mention Roses; I hadn't encountered her work before, but I coincidentally watched her enjoyable let's play of Last Half of Darkness with Clint/phreakindee this morning. Two encounters in one day is worth a youtube subscription 😀

While watching the AGD review, I kept wondering what the hitching was in the first-person gameplay. Eventually I realized is was probably Kris picking up his mouse. Having to use a mouse to move forwards/backwards is terrible!

OMG there is so much sexual tension between her and Clint it drives me up the wall. Pardon the crude vernacular, but I wish they would just screw and get it over with.

That said, I LOVED the last heart of darkness i still haven't watched the 3rd one yet, but it is on my list.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1265 of 3354, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

Actually, we have discussed guesses in this thread before.

I must not have read that section then. 🤣 I usually skip forward to whatever the latest post is. 😜

Reply 1266 of 3354, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

OMG there is so much sexual tension between her and Clint it drives me up the wall. Pardon the crude vernacular, but I wish they would just screw and get it over with.

I got a similar vibe, but I thought maybe it was just me.

Reply 1267 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

*has finally watched some of the Clint + Roses LP*

Hey, guy and girl gamers taking a look at something old, retro and awesome in its ridiculousness. They could both be married to other people and completely unattracted to each other; you're STILL gonna get that tension from two personalities like that! ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 1269 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 110 - Carmageddon is online! (Please note this is a mature-rated episode.)

So yeah, this one came as no surprise to anyone... except maybe the couple people who guessed Grand Theft Auto. Incidentally, GTA did have a system in place giving you extra points for combos, but not for style! ;)

Also, please excuse the fact that all the footage is in 320x200 resolution. Carmageddon does not run very well on my system. Even 320x200 mode isn't perfect, but with a fixed cycles count set DOSBox still records it as though it were running perfectly fine and that's what counts. :)

All that said, I have plans to build a new system out of high-end parts in the coming weeks, provided certain things work out this weekend. I'll have more news about that in the filler episode the weekend following. Also haven't gotten around to getting my music up, or getting onto YouTube, again because I've been super busy from everything going on in real life at the moment.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1270 of 3354, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just checked out the Carmageddon episode Chris and it is great as always. Carmageddon is a great game though there is one thing I wanted to bring up in regards to the GOG.com version if you want to play it in Hi Res mode without the problems with DOSBox's framerate issues. GOG provides a Windows 95 patch for the game that allows it to run natively in Windows and at least on my end it was the best way to play it at a better resolution.

Reply 1271 of 3354, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SpooferJahk wrote:

Just checked out the Carmageddon episode Chris and it is great as always. Carmageddon is a great game though there is one thing I wanted to bring up in regards to the GOG.com version if you want to play it in Hi Res mode without the problems with DOSBox's framerate issues. GOG provides a Windows 95 patch for the game that allows it to run natively in Windows and at least on my end it was the best way to play it at a better resolution.

I second this, the Win95 patch runs much more smoothly on my system than the DosBox version. However, I do experience occasional sound effect dropouts, and the game has a tendency to hang just before the main menu comes up or when I pause the game and switch back to it from another application. In my opinion though, this is a small price to pay to play Carmageddon in high resolution at 60fps. 😁

Reply 1272 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I should've guessed there'd be a Windows 95 patch. I didn't even think to check. ^_^;

This is what happens when you race to finish a script and everything. More details for the Additional Information section. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1273 of 3354, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IIRC the win95 patch has a few subtle changes in the physics which could be a bit disconcerting... Glide works fine for me in GOG's version, at least after I installed a normal nGlide instead of GOG's stupidly crippled config-less one, and the resolution is far better, but then again I'm not a total framerate whore.

No mention of the Splat Pack, BTW? or of the coming remake...

Oh, and Carma 2 isn't necessarily a better game, just a bit different, with the addition of powerups that can be collected and used later. Those special missions you have to complete after every 3rd track may add some variety, but on the other had they're often just annoying.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 1274 of 3354, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gemini000 wrote:

I should've guessed there'd be a Windows 95 patch. I didn't even think to check. 😅

This is what happens when you race to finish a script and everything. More details for the Additional Information section. 😜

The Win95 patch isn't that well known about outside of the Carma community, partially because it isn't perfect and it does tend to have issues on certain systems. That said, I still recommend it if it's compatible with your system. Also, for the GoG release, only use the GoG version of the patch, as the normal version lacks this directdraw wrapper that's needed to keep the framerate in spec (yo dawg, we heard you like patches... 🤣).

VileRancour wrote:

IIRC the win95 patch has a few subtle changes in the physics which could be a bit disconcerting... Glide works fine for me in GOG's version, at least after I installed a normal nGlide instead of GOG's stupidly crippled config-less one, and the resolution is far better, but then again I'm not a total framerate whore.

No mention of the Splat Pack, BTW? or of the coming remake...

Oh, and Carma 2 isn't necessarily a better game, just a bit different, with the addition of powerups that can be collected and used later. Those special missions you have to complete after every 3rd track may add some variety, but on the other had they're often just annoying.

I played around with nGlide and the hardware-accelerated GoG version of Carma on my Alienware laptop, and while it looked good and ran well on most maps, on certain maps the framerate was just plain TERRIBLE. 😜 Keep in mind this system has a first-gen Core i5, Radeon HD 5000 series graphics, 6GB of DDR3 ram, and Win7 Home Premium x64, so it's that bad of a system, and it's actually more powerful than the box I'm using right now. 🤣

As for Carma 2, it's a fun game with many gameplay improvements over Carma 1 (namely in the damage modeling system, powerups, ped variety, vehicle handling, and of course the ability to dismember peds 🤣), but at the same time there are some things about it that I don't like as much as Carma 1. For instance, they took out the checkered flag guy, there's no pratcam, you don't have the choice of starting out with the Hawk instead of the Eagle, you can't choose your starting position before a race, you can't buy upgrades between races (though you can buy them in the middle of a race oddly enough), and overall the atmosphere/cars/maps just aren't as cool as what Carma 1 has to offer. Unless you're a Carma 1 diehard though, a lot of these are pretty minor things. All said, I still play Carma 1 more often. 🤣

Whoa, I just realized that this is my 502nd post! 😁

Reply 1275 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Filler #28 - Life Stuff is online!

And as usual, since it's up early it means I'm going to bed momentarily, though I'm sure the video speaks for itself in terms of what's going on with everything. Goodnight, everyone! :)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1278 of 3354, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea moving does suck. Hope it all works out for you!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 1279 of 3354, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I dig the way your IRL footage has that 90s home-movie look about em. Moving house sucks, hope it all goes smoothly for you! 😀

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread