VOGONS

Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 1340 of 3354, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sssooooo you wanna muffle some echo ehhh? If you haven't got that sorted out yet may I ask a question... well I'll ask it any ways?

Have you considered buying a big rug and are there any fast food restaurants that some what close, like McDonalds?

Reply 1342 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VileRancour wrote:

Released in 1992, yet it rips off the GSTONE texture from Doom? :D

Each revision/name-change of the game is altered graphically. The 3D CyberPuck name change, which is also the easiest version to find, was released in 1995, so that may have something to do with it. :P

Heck, the earlier versions may not even have texture mapped graphics. I've never seen them so I couldn't say.

cdoublejj wrote:

Have you considered buying a big rug and are there any fast food restaurants that some what close, like McDonalds?

I will be getting a couple such rugs for down here, one for the main living area another for my bedroom. As for fast food restaurants, I live in a city of half-a-million people, so yes, fast food restaurants are everywhere... I'm trying to imagine what they may be willing to sell/get-rid-of though that would help cut down on the echo... part of me feels I should know the answer...

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 1343 of 3354, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gemini000 wrote:

I live in a city of half-a-million people, so yes, fast food restaurants are everywhere... I'm trying to imagine what they may be willing to sell/get-rid-of though that would help cut down on the echo... part of me feels I should know the answer...

Cardboard?

Reply 1344 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually, my brother-in-law has an audio engineering background, and he's coming over for a moment today, so he should be able to give me some advice for my specific circumstances. :)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1345 of 3354, by Kosmonaut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Gemini, can I recommend that for a filler episode you cover RGB Classic Games? http://www.classicdosgames.com/ The work they are doing is really great, particularly you should check out the "online" page: http://www.classicdosgames.com/online.html This is a huge set of classic dos games that can be played directly in your browser.

Reply 1346 of 3354, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gemini000 wrote:

Actually, my brother-in-law has an audio engineering background, and he's coming over for a moment today, so he should be able to give me some advice for my specific circumstances. 😀

I'm calling it now. $100 says, by the end of the visit, he will push you to buy super expensive cables made from unobtanium, and/or at least mention tubes.

I AM LUCKYBOB!!!! SEE-ER OF THE FUTURE!!!
(Also part time whale biologist)

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1347 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kosmonaut wrote:

Gemini, can I recommend that for a filler episode you cover RGB Classic Games? http://www.classicdosgames.com/ The work they are doing is really great, particularly you should check out the "online" page: http://www.classicdosgames.com/online.html This is a huge set of classic dos games that can be played directly in your browser.

It wouldn't make for a very long filler... Which I know, isn't much of an excuse since I've done short fillers before, but I do already provide links there when the official sites for games don't exist or don't provide downloads anymore. Haven't had to link there in awhile though... :o

luckybob wrote:

I'm calling it now. $100 says, by the end of the visit, he will push you to buy super expensive cables made from unobtanium, and/or at least mention tubes.

I AM LUCKYBOB!!!! SEE-ER OF THE FUTURE!!!
(Also part time whale biologist)

He had to cancel. He'll likely come by sometime today instead.

He's not the kind of person to pressure someone into anything, so even if he suggests something expensive, he knows it's not the end of the world if I don't want to spend that kind of money.

And he only ever mentions tubes when talking about amps. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1348 of 3354, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I will say, tube amps do actually sound pretty nice. 😀 What I really like about them though is just the way the tubes glow. 😁 It just looks so cool!

Reply 1349 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm gonna be a day late with ADG again. There's been crap-tons of stuff to do offline. Even testing games out with my new system has been limited to 15~30 minute play sessions because of all the stuff that needs to be done.

I'm hoping to have next week's episode out on time but once again I'm probably gonna have to resort to a small game. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1350 of 3354, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just admit you've been playing a LOT of Skyrim. I'm personally on a binge right now. dropped like 75 hours into the game on this character...

Reply 1351 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

Just admit you've been playing a LOT of Skyrim. I'm personally on a binge right now. dropped like 75 hours into the game on this character...

I seriously only went so far as to install SkyUI, spent only 3 minutes on the character creator when starting a new game, and went as far as getting to Riverwood before I stopped to check eMails and capture footage for the next ADG.

I WISH I had more time to be playing high-end games on this thing but until things quiet down around here I simply don't. There's been maintenance issues since Dad wasn't keeping up on them, we had to deal with an ant infestation, my toilet down here was semi-broken (still semi-broken after a repair but not as broken), most of my stuff is still packed, I've had to go around to various stores trying to get new equipment, as well as a new office chair since my last one, if you guys can recall from my live-action moments, was in terrible condition, and all the while Dad keeps asking me to help him with stuff or we keep ending up with company coming over, distracting me from getting any work done so I can help entertain. x_x;

...yeah... I'm a bit gaming deprived at the moment...

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1352 of 3354, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Kris has been afflicted with something all of us have to deal with...gaming blue balls.

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 1353 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
senrew wrote:

Kris has been afflicted with something all of us have to deal with...gaming blue balls.

Well, I've been watching Direwolf20's Minecraft videos while eating food so that's at least been keeping me vicariously stimulated in terms of gaming, and I've been spending an hour or so in MechWarrior Online the past couple nights before bed.

However, I just spent the past three hours looking through boxes trying to find a very specific CD, and after looking through every single box with CDs in them, I couldn't find it. It has the backup installer of my copy of Paint Shop Pro 7, as Mom lost the original disc numerous years ago. Without that program, I'm very lost in terms of doing graphics work as I'd have to go learn a new program and make the next ADG episode even MORE late than it's already ending up. x_x;

Fortuantely, after gambling with some CDs that might've had an extra copy on them, I found it on a CD labelled: "Transfer CD", which I had used in the past (prior to flash memory) to copy large files from one computer to another. So, providing this thing works on Windows 8, that settles that issue.

I should note, I'm not going to bed until the next ADG episode is uploaded, even if I don't end up done until 6 in the morning. I spent most of today just trying to install stuff and find stuff necessary for making my web show, and only now am I actually getting any time to work on this. x_x;

I REALLY hope things settle down soon... I absolutely hate being constantly late like this.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1355 of 3354, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wonder if paint.net (http://www.getpaint.net/) would be a sufficient alternative to PSP7? It's freeware. I use it as my default image manipulation application on Windows.

@luckybob: Those appear to be 30-day trial installs. I guess they may work for Gemini if he still has his license key.

Reply 1356 of 3354, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hahahaha, good old PSP7. I still use that frequently. It's a good bit of software.

One thing that's kind of annoying is in Win7 and 8, you don't get to see the "keep this pulled down" button on the little sub-windows (tool options, layers, overview, etc). It works if you click in the right spot, but it might take a few goes.

Also, the first time you run it, run it "As Administrator" or it'll give you errors.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 1357 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I ran into even more problems. When I tried to do pixel-accurate stuff with my new mouse, I discovered that despite its super-high resolution, it couldn't detect extremely slow movement, making it extremely difficult to do the graphics work necessary.

So I've already put in a return request and have a completely different mouse ordered now. Sadly, after looking through all the different kinds of mice available and hundreds of reviews I found myself flabergasted by how the build quality of nearly all of them, even the expensive ones, tend to suck.

Considering this and realizing that finding a "perfect" mouse would be impossible, I settled on an $80 MadCatz RAT 5 mouse, since I could get it for $12 cheaper from the same place I got my current mouse from, which I've already packed up and put back in its box for the return process and have temporarily pulled the mouse from my previous system over to my new one.

And ONLY NOW, am I getting back to work on ADG. I'll probably be dead tired in about three hours... Who thinks I can do the graphics work, audio editing, video editing, Blip upload and website update, all in the next few hours without falling asleep on my keyboard? :P

The plus side: I've got my old copies of WordPerfect 9 and Paint Shop Pro 7 working on this thing. PSP was far easier to get going than WP, but they're both up and running now. Also, one thing Windows 8 did right comapred to previous versions of Windows: Easy access to the list of programs that run on startup using the Task Manager. Also, right-clicking in the bottom-left corner of the screen provides a slew of advanced options, like admin-level command prompts and whatnot. :)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1358 of 3354, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use one of these: http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-deathadder

Its actually my 2nd one. Ever since the original boomslang... Its the 2nd one because I literally WORE IT OUT. I probably went through 10 mouse pads before the mouse pads wore out.

Reply 1359 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's 9:35 AM... I've been up all night... but Ancient DOS Games Episode 112 - Lawn Mower is online...

...damn, I hate being tired and hungry at the same time... x_x;

...also, I'm aware of the mid-roll ad showing up on the episode. This is a glitch in the system and shouldn't be appearing, nor can I affect it, so I've sent an eMail to Blip asking them to get rid of it. Since it's Sunday though, they probably won't get to it until tomorrow. :P

I really... really... really... really... REALLY hope next week turns out better in terms of things working out and stuff... I'm rapidly wearing myself down from all this constant problem-solving...

...oh yeah, you guys want me on YouTube still... and I have a music upload to do... and I have a game I need to keep making...

*facepalm*

...I think from now on... I'm gonna stop setting dates on everything I do... :P

*goes off to snack on something then collapse*

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)