VOGONS

Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 1381 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 114 - Earthworm Jim is online!

Nothing too much to say about this one that I don't say in the video proper. VERY thankful about DOSBox's keymapper though considering how incredibly buggy and broken the native joystick/gamepad support is in this port. (Which is ironic since it was originally a console game.)

Really looking forwards to next week's game though! Been wanting to get it and play it for awhile now! :3

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 1382 of 3354, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gemini000 wrote:

Ancient DOS Games Episode 114 - Earthworm Jim is online!

Nothing too much to say about this one that I don't say in the video proper. VERY thankful about DOSBox's keymapper though considering how incredibly buggy and broken the native joystick/gamepad support is in this port. (Which is ironic since it was originally a console game.)

Really looking forwards to next week's game though! Been wanting to get it and play it for awhile now! :3

Nice Earthworm Jim review. I still have my original copy that came with my long gone Gravis gamepad.

Reply 1383 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 115 - Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri is online!

...I almost like this game as much as System Shock... it's THAT good! :3

It really would've been nice to see where the devs would've taken this game had the sequels they had planned materialized. I swear, Looking Glass Studios was full of ultra-talented people who made some of the best games in DOS gaming history... and yet their stuff sold badly compared to the best selling games of those days. :(

Clearly, we need a Terra Nova 2 at some point... or a System Shock 3. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1384 of 3354, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gemini000 wrote:

Clearly, we need a Terra Nova 2 at some point... or a System Shock 3. 😉

Would you really want it made today? I'd like a faithful Terra Nova 2 and a faithful System Shock 3 since that cliffhanger desperately needs completion. But if someone were to pick up those projects I have little hope it would be anything other than a simplified console game with small areas and poorly placed checkpoints, lazily ported to PC, and have some sort of micro-transaction system forced on it.

Reply 1385 of 3354, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Terra Nova's marketing wasn't that great. All I remember were a red pair of eyes with "Kick ass." over them, and screenshots of cutscenes rather than the game... Screenshots featuring reflective water would've been nice. It worked for Half-Life 2. 😜

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 1386 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Filler #29 - Amulets & Armor Classic is online!

I figured since I made such a big deal out of the full version being impossible to obtain in Episode 96, I'd better make sure everyone realizes there's a legitimate, free version of the full game now that's actually easier to play and has less bugs! :3

Still haven't played through it that much yet as I haven't had the chance, but I like what's there so far. I would've played the heck out of this game had I owned it back when it was brand new! :)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1387 of 3354, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Catching up on a few eps... 😉

Re Earthworm Jim, the MegaCD version does have the password system, though I believe you're right that the Mega Drive cartridge version does not.

There is also a Windows 95 version of that game that corrects the joystick/gamepad problems. This version also saves your progress to the registry, so you can pick up where you left off pretty easily.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 1388 of 3354, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Saw on the A&A Classic blog that the author plans to release the source code eventually, and may do it sooner rather than later if enough people are interested. I think he would be smart to do as early as possible, as the community may help with porting and such.

Reply 1389 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Haven't had a chance to update my website yet since I need to perform a major change to the side menu, but my new YouTube channel is finally going! :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/pixelmusement

Next thing I need to do is get the 15-minute time limit removed and get as many features enabled as I can. (Being able to define my own video thumbnails would be kinda nice.) Then, I need to start uploading my 140+ ADG videos. I'll probably do at least three or four a week until the channel is finally up to speed.

In other news, my website now has unlimited bandwidth. Music update will be sometime next week! :)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1390 of 3354, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gemini000 wrote:

(Being able to define my own video thumbnails would be kinda nice.)

You don't get to do this unless you are an Youtube partner. How/when you get this is random in my experience. I've gotten it as an option on my personal Youtube account (with some few videos), but on the one I've uploading game/retro related footage.

To remove the 15 min limit you need to have a mobile phone number to connect with your account.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 1391 of 3354, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Subscribed to the Youtube channel! Thanks for giving it a go. I see you already have over a dozen subscribers already.

Watched your intro video, and it sounds like you've got a good approach. It seems to be pretty common for game reviewers to put stuff up on places like blip first, then on youtube later, so I don't see an issue there.

What was the controversy with the April Fools crossover with Clint? I thought it was a fun collaborative effort between my favorite pair of classic PC game reviewers.

Edit: Don't forget to link the Youtube channel in your first post.

Reply 1392 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:

To remove the 15 min limit you need to have a mobile phone number to connect with your account.

Lacking a cell phone myself I was preparing to have my father help out with that, however, when I went to check out the specifics in the account details it seems there's an option for a voice message and there's no mention that it has to specifically be a "mobile" number. It could be the mobile-only thing was how it was in the past and the policies simply haven't been updated, or it could also be that the policies have been updated but not the page for going through the process. Either way, I'll attempt to do it myself and see what happens. If it fails, I'll get dad's help.

HunterZ wrote:

What was the controversy with the April Fools crossover with Clint? I thought it was a fun collaborative effort between my favorite pair of classic PC game reviewers.

A "vocal minority" of Clint's fans simply didn't want to see someone who wasn't Clint in his videos. Since his fan-base is also substantially larger than mine, it stands to reason he'll also have more riff-raff. Most of the comments as such were downplayed and dismissed by the majority of his fans, but he still addressed it all the same in an update video which followed.

HunterZ wrote:

Edit: Don't forget to link the Youtube channel in your first post.

I will once I start uploading ADG episodes to YouTube. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1394 of 3354, by Anatoly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Kris, you need to get on Twitter!

DOS Nostalgia- remembering the good old days of IBM PC gaming
Website --- YouTube Channel --- Podcast RSS feed
Yours truly on Twitter

Reply 1395 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No I don't. XD

OK, that's probably not the answer you wanted. Truth be told, I know exactly what will happen if I go on Twitter:

1. I'll be active on it for a few days, lots of people will follow, and I'll be responding to lots of things.
2. After a few days, I'll realize I'm responding to other people so much it's cutting into my productivity and will decide to spend a day or two not checking it.
3. A week later I'll remember I haven't checked Twitter in awhile, I'll go and check, there'll be so much stuff and so much to respond to that I'll want to stay far away from it once I'm done.
4. A month later I'll remember I haven't checked Twitter in awhile and will just say "screw it". XD

I'm terrible at keeping up with social stuff. Trying to keep up with stuff here on VOGONS is surprisingly difficult for me. Heck, there's only one other forum I frequent, Allegro.cc, since that's primarily for Allegro-using programmers such as myself and when I run into issues or feel like dishing out some Allegro advice, that's where I go.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the value of Twitter and how it helps people out, I just feel it would be too overwhelming for me to use on my own accord. :P

Also, I haven't checked out your videos on YouTube yet which is why I haven't said anything about them yet. Been distracted by lots of other things. I'll try to take a look later tonight or tomorrow. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1397 of 3354, by Anatoly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, well, that's a good reason. Especially if you're not into social experiences like that. Twitter is very rewarding for me personally.

Gemini000 wrote:

Also, I haven't checked out your videos on YouTube yet which is why I haven't said anything about them yet.

For the most part they aren't very good.

Yours truly on Twitter

Reply 1398 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anatoly wrote:

For the most part they aren't very good.

Then I can at least give you suggestions on how to improve. I tried to start ADG back in 2008 before Clint even had his LGR show. The apporach I took was too forced and my hardware too outdated to make it a viable thing to do, let alone enjoyable. I think a grand total of maybe 7 or 8 people watched it. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1399 of 3354, by Anatoly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks! I also started in 2008, although my first official review didn't go up till February 2009.
I don't like my early videos because of the circumstances they were made under. And I barely have any videos to begin with because I'm spinning too many plates at the moment & DOS Nostalgia is not a priority. I enjoy the social aspect of it a lot more than making videos. That's where Twitter comes in. Recently started a podcast & enjoying doing that a lot more than anything else.
I've enjoyed your videos for a very long time. I'm always impressed with people being able to make a commitment & provide content on a regular basis. I think pc & DOS needs more recognition & respect as aretro gaming platform and the more DOS-oriented channels we have, the better.

Yours truly on Twitter