VOGONS

Engoo Quake 1 Port

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 61 of 70, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think only the "fire" in the content hacks section doesn't get defaulted, since that was added after the presets feature. There's also some actions done that aren't available through the menu (like "GLQuake preset"'s clamping of the overbrights/removal of fullbrights in the colormap) You'd also have to make sure to reload your game to get the full change.

Video resolution code is a tricky thing. Config.cfg files are read and that's where video modes are set, and often these would be inconvenient and set an undesired fullscreen mode from reading a DOS quake vid_mode setting, or interpreting some other port's vid_mode value. I'd been meaning to take vid_mode into another cvar name to save and read instead

it's also bad when windowed/fullscreen mode can't save.

OH BTW off topic but Skiffy released a HD shambler and it looks nice 😀 this is how model remakes should be done!

Attachments

• quake06.png
    Filename
    quake06.png
    File size
    397.42 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 68 of 70, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Soupdragon wrote:

I really like this port. I had a 3dfx card back in the day but hated how glquake looked and always used software render. This port is a much better option than winquake if you love software rendering but have a widescreen display. Good job.

That's interesting. I always hated the software render for a couple of reasons... partly because I was stuck with it, not having a 3d card at first, and also because of poor performance compared to the glide version. Take GL_Quake for example - on a 120Mhz cyrix 586, it will run timedemo demo1 at 21-22 fps @ 640x480 using a voodoo 2. Under dos, software quake at 320x240 will barely manage 16 fps. There's also the blandness of the software rendered (witch your port fixes) - I always hated the washed-out colors.

Reply 69 of 70, by Grunt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2016-07-03, 22:33:

No because i've been doing engoo-style featurecreeping

Ok, then what about releasing at least some documentation? At least how to compile thing, TODO, bug-fixes. I think Engoo deserves maintanance release. Nothing, really?

Reply 70 of 70, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

@Grunt: it's pretty much dead and your tone is pretty much rude. Please do not necro post

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper