VOGONS

Engoo Quake 1 Port

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 21 of 70, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's a shame... hope to see you get your motivation back, because obviously this kind of "IT'S 2013 MAN GET WITH TEH PROGRAM!!1" LAMERS aren't your target audience, nor are they even qualified to comment on what you do. I guess it's a matter of choosing the proper channels.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 22 of 70, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah, who cares if some people don't like a project, just do it for as long as you feel like it leileilol and don't pay attention... it is supposed to be fun for as long as it lasts 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 24 of 70, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't let those lamers bring you down. There are plenty of people (myself included) who would love to see an enhanced software-renderer Quake engine that actually works on period hardware. Hell, for years I have been dreaming of creating a multiplayer FPS that can scale from lowly Pentiums to the latest Core i7s, but unfortunately I lack the skills to make one myself so this may be the next best thing for me.

Reply 25 of 70, by m1so

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VileRancour wrote:

That's a shame... hope to see you get your motivation back, because obviously this kind of "IT'S 2013 MAN GET WITH TEH PROGRAM!!1" LAMERS aren't your target audience, nor are they even qualified to comment on what you do. I guess it's a matter of choosing the proper channels.

I seriously hate this kind of "why are you doing this in this super-modern year man?" attitude. Under communism, my parents had to keep the same car and TV for more than 20 years yet now every fucking kid wants everything "teh latest". Screw that, this engine looks goddamned good and Quake's textures are so low-res they look better without filtering anyways.

Reply 26 of 70, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Build of Revision 255

Fixes the normal lighting issues, adds low colored lighting mode (should be faster!), also midi is enabled in this one.

should probably mention win9x and dos isn't supported in this build because MGL and DOS are a bitch to debug in Windows 7 🙁

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 27 of 70, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there any way to specify a custom windowed resolution? I prefer being able to play in windowed mode, but I can only go up to 800x600. Also, does Engoo do CD audio at all? I can get it under GLQuake and Winquake just fine, but not Engoo for some reason.

Last edited by mr_bigmouth_502 on 2013-09-09, 02:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 28 of 70, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CD audio got regressed since the most recent versions were developed within Windows 7 with no way to debug it.

You can pause the game and resize the window at least (one glorious hack i'm most proud of). The video modes menu needs serious rewriting.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 29 of 70, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know that Win7 has problems with CD audio. 🤣 It really sucks since some of the best games from the 90s made good use of it.

By any chance, have you considered developing it in a VM running XP or something? It's just an idea.

Last edited by mr_bigmouth_502 on 2013-09-09, 02:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 30 of 70, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, but i've considered using a secondary fast Windows 98SE-based machine to get the 9X/DOS builds working again.

Also the engine has a problem with BASSmidi freezing on loading sometimes, however that recent OPL3 synth driver seems fine with it (fortunately).

I've yet to commit the new deathcam feature
deathcam.jpg

Last edited by leileilol on 2013-09-09, 02:38. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 34 of 70, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is it just me, or is Engoo unusually CPU-intensive? With a couple other programs running in the background mainly just idling, I've noticed severe framerate drops in Engoo on normal settings at resolutions higher than 960x480. I know it's a software-based renderer and all, but why would it be bringing my main system to its knees?

Other than that issue though, it's a great port. I love the degree of customization it offers while remaining true to the original game's feel. Most sourceports screw with things too much and make it so that they don't actually "feel" like Quake (I'm looking at you, EzQuake 😜).

Reply 39 of 70, by Soupdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I really like this port. I had a 3dfx card back in the day but hated how glquake looked and always used software render. This port is a much better option than winquake if you love software rendering but have a widescreen display. Good job.

Steam | World of Warcraft