VOGONS

Engoo Quake 1 Port

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://leileilol.mancubus.net/engoo/

Developed by leilei and andrewj.
Based on Qip Quake.

This engine contains GPLv2 sources butchered from: […]
Show full quote

This engine contains GPLv2 sources butchered from:

Quake
Quake II
Quake III Arena
Hexen II
FTEQW
Makaqu
Darkplaces
GoldQuake (R.I.P..........)
Vavoom (For a while)
Boom (the really old DOS one)
Odamex
JFDuke3D
Rise of the Triad

Implementations:

Colored Lighting | LordHavoc, andrewj, leilei
Sound pitch variation | andrewj, leilei
Model shadows | leilei
Classic sound attenuation | LordHavoc
New Gun/view bobbing | Sajt, MirceaKitsune, Lordhavoc,
leilei (cl_bobby only)
HLBSP support | Spike (FTEQW rip)
Low Detail | leilei, mh
Additive blending | leilei
Water Translucency | Mk, leilei
frik_file | Maddes, FrikaC
NVS system | Maddes
Particle system enhancements | leilei
BSP28 support | leilei
TE_BLOOD, TE_BLOODSHOWER | Sajt
Railtrail | John Carmack (Quake2)
TE_TEI_G3, TE_TEI_PLASMA, TE_TEI_BIGEXP | leilei
LOSION
Alpha color shift | leilei
Palette remapping | leilei
C version of Drawspans16 | Qbism
Globots | Tomaz
Menu background | leilei
Stolen Quakeworld hud | leilei

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 70, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

if anyone on VOGONS tries this on their 486 be prepared for a slideshow of slideshow proportions. even worse, the loading at the start you'll lose your patience on that first!

If you're wondering what the ROTT sources had a role in this, it's for midi support. unfortunately, that is disabled as I can not get it working under DOS for the time being, but for everything else all the necessary hook-ups for it to work are already in there (it reads from sound/cdtracks/track###.mid where ### is the cd track number like 003... kind of like Darkplaces)

The ROTT source's sound library is for Watcom C. This engine only compiles with DJGPP. You can figure out why I can't do it off the bat for that.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 70, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

New release is imminent. There's a couple of VERY annoying bugs that are preventing me:

- Changing resolution in Windows makes mouse movement spin out of control sometimes
- Dynamic light position bug
- Can't turn off model interpolation
- Stretchable window doesn't stretch! Wanted to scale up the current video mode.

The stuff that's been added is fairly minor but should still be interesting toward an interesting experience
- Kernel filtering on textures and sprites (shamelessly ripped off this guy)
- Model interpolation
- GLSuck (mimic bad glquake looks for bad mods like glmario, navyseals)
- New DirectDraw backend for Windows Vista/7
- Bobbing bug fixed
- Low detail in VGA fixed
- Low lightmap detail (turns off lightmap filtering in the ASM!, for a tiny speed gain)
- Threw in a d_mipdetail, which is d_mipscale and d_mipcap combined to make lowering map detail in the menu possible.

Still wish:
- ASM DrawSpans16_Filter
- ASM MipBlock8RGBHQ
- DUMB module playback in Windows and DOS (already have hooks, but no sample pointer stuff yet).
- MIDI playback in DOS (more specifically, porting Apogee Sound System from Watcom to DJGPP)

I might have to try to separate the model /sprite drawing functions to restore the ASM originals and regain some speed. Several other engines followed a 'asm stripping' trend, but I'm not following that 😁

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 70, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A buggy pre-release first (not on the site!), for Windows and DOS

glsuck.png

-conwidth was also added, thanks Siggi

This screenshot is in -glsuck mode as well. The overbrights and fullbrights are turned off, i'm just missing r_dynamic and gl_flashblend now 😁

BTW 486s don't like this release much (r_lowdetail and r_lowworld barely helps), however Pentiums seem fine with the texture filtering

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 12 of 70, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

You can't wait?

Not pictured: Autosaving, faster colored lighting (10% increase from the last build I posted)

Dumb question, but what mod are you playing? Whatever it is it looks killer. 😁

Reply 13 of 70, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That would be Pain Keep, a multiplayer classic. One of the most atmospheric deathmatch packs i've ever played.

Also is anyone out there willing to help me with sound and video output code? I'm looking to support OpenGL for video output (not for rendering the game) so it can work with the Steam Overlay and maybe support glsl postprocessing fragment shaders (higan crt shader anyone?).

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 18 of 70, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've only bumped the requirements up for wanting more ram, it's 16mb minimum now (due to the surface cache). The engine can still technically function on a 486 with all the whistles disabled (including the new option to disable dynamic lights), and if you're willing to have patience for the lookup table generation 😀

and the "quake 1.01" thing is just part of the oldschool default part of the engine's philosophy.

apsosig.png
long live PCem