VOGONS

First post, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I finished porting Sam Hocevar's SDL version of the old (now open-source) DOS game Abuse to the Wii:

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Abuse_Wii

I was watching the ADG episode on Abuse recently and thought it would be a good fit for the Wii's controls 😀

Note that you will need a hacked Wii to play it, because it is homebrew.

Reply 1 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Wow, congrats! I love Abuse, I actually bought it back then...
Gonna have to try this, my wii hasn't been used for a long time.

You wouldn't like to port Exult, too, would you? 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yeah, shouldn't be too hard if one knows what to do, but sorry, don't let me sidetrack your topic 😉

ABUSE! What a great game!

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 13, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Check the link; I included some Dolphin instructions there.

It seemed to run poorly for me, though, probably because a different framebuffer emulation mode is needed for homebrew.

Reply 6 of 13, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I haven't any interest in hacking my Wii to play homebrew stuff, but it's still neat that you were able to pull this off. ;)

The release of the game most people will have does indeed have multiplayer support which is essentially deathmatch across special multiplayer-specific maps. I actually tested it and recorded some multiplayer footage of Abuse when I was making the ADG episode, but I didn't show it because it just amounted to me controlling one character while the other sat there motionless. It only works over IPX so I'm not sure how you would even attempt to get that working on the Wii. :/

And yes, the editor does have some special controls over the main game... Too many to list. >_>;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 7 of 13, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Update on the Ultima thing: I took a quick look at the source and ran away screaming. They're using some build configuration tool that is supposed to be better than autotools and cmake, but it doesn't seem to handle cross-compiling easily and I couldn't make heads or tails of it.

Reply 8 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Huh? It uses the autotools like many standard linux things. Autogen.sh and configure, make easy as pie

Reply 9 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Actually very similar to dosbox.
Seriously have you looked at Exults source or at something else? I'm using it to cross compile all the time. There is only *one* problem, that Exult puts its data files in a container via a tool that needs to be run on the build system and that gives errors on cross compiling.
You should get those by building it once for the build system and then once via "./configure --disable-data --disable-tools".

Reply 13 of 13, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've finally released an update to this that I've been putting off for almost two years now.

No idea if/when it will be updated on the Homebrew Browser, but you can download it from the Google Code project page and install it manually.