VOGONS

Reply 20 of 28, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Malik wrote:
Why? Why did they release a GT 520 PCI card? Why? Why?.... Will it work with my 486 with PCI slots? If not, why? :lol: […]
Show full quote

Why? Why did they release a GT 520 PCI card? Why? Why?.... Will it work with my 486 with PCI slots? If not, why? 🤣

Now I've seen everything.

6724861429_d13d26544f.jpg

No, it won't because the PCI standard has evolved a lot since 486 days and it's not likely that it will be compatible on that basis AND it is not likely there will ever be drivers for any OS that still runs on a 486 motherboard unless someone decides that they are so determined to use one of these cards with an obsolete OS that they write their own driver and release it to the public.

Reply 23 of 28, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BigBodZod wrote:
F2bnp wrote:

Do these still exist? I mean seriously? No PCI-E or AGP at all? What kind of processor/RAM do these things have?

I can see many of the OEM's building micro-ATX boards with only PCI and/or PCIe x1 slots, this means no dedicated GPU support as you need a PCIe x16 slot for that 😉

It would still have current standard CPU's and DDR3 ram slots, most likley only 2 of these slots and a max ram support of 8GB.

While it isn't mechanically compatible, a PCI-E x16 card would work happily in an x1 slot. You can get mechanical adapters to do this.

Reply 24 of 28, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RichB93 wrote:
BigBodZod wrote:
F2bnp wrote:

Do these still exist? I mean seriously? No PCI-E or AGP at all? What kind of processor/RAM do these things have?

I can see many of the OEM's building micro-ATX boards with only PCI and/or PCIe x1 slots, this means no dedicated GPU support as you need a PCIe x16 slot for that 😉

It would still have current standard CPU's and DDR3 ram slots, most likley only 2 of these slots and a max ram support of 8GB.

While it isn't mechanically compatible, a PCI-E x16 card would work happily in an x1 slot. You can get mechanical adapters to do this.

Why would you want to? PCIe x1 isn't much better than PCI in terms of bandwith. You'd be choking an x16 card in that slot.

Reply 25 of 28, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:

Why would you want to? PCIe x1 isn't much better than PCI in terms of bandwith. You'd be choking an x16 card in that slot.

I belive that depend on how you look at it
PCIe
v1 offers per lane 250 MB/s in each bandwidth direction
v2 offers per lane 500 MB/s in each bandwidth direction

PCI is one way and a shared bandwidth
133 MB/s (32-bit at 33 MHz)
266 MB/s (32-bit at 66 MHz or 64-bit at 33 MHz)
533 MB/s (64-bit at 66 MHz)

Reply 26 of 28, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

People have used ExpressCard to PCI-E adapters to add high end graphics cards to their laptops and have had good results by using a high end card over a PCI-E x1 link believe it or not.

EDIT: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_587 … Scaling/25.html

Reply 27 of 28, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cdoublejj wrote:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16814500221

they are good for phys-x when all other slots are occupied.

A cheap single slot 8800/9800GT owns any thing Fermi based that is below the GTS450 level performance and same for Kepler that is still less than the total performance of a gts450. Fermi cards however are so far better than Kepler and the older card for Folding.

Also got a Ageia for my one of my retro rigs to go along with a BFG 7800gs 😎

Typo >.<

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 28 of 28, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nforce4max wrote:
A cheap single slot 8800/9800GT owns any thing Fermi based that is below the GTS450 level performance and same for Kepler that i […]
Show full quote
cdoublejj wrote:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16814500221

they are good for phys-x when all other slots are occupied.

A cheap single slot 8800/9800GT owns any thing Fermi based that is below the GTS450 level performance and same for Kepler that is still less than the total performance of a gts450. Fermi cards however are so far better than Kepler and the older card for Folding.

Also got a Ageia for my one of my retro rigs to go along with a BFG 7800gs 😎

Typo >.<

There are no 8800GT or 9800GT that go in a PCI slot.