VOGONS

First post, by Alegend45

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. I may be new to this forum, but I've made an open-source wonder for you. Behold PCDude, the (possibly) first plugin-wielding PC emulator! It currently comes in 2 versions: v5 (no plugins), and v5.1 (full-on plugin support). Before continuing, though, I need help. Especially with plugins. You see I need plugins to mess with before I can make v6. Also, NO HLE! I can't tolerate it. It currently seems to pass the IBM 5150 POST, but I need help with the rest. PM me, for details on how to make plugins.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot this: github.com/Alegend45/PCDude

Last edited by Alegend45 on 2012-06-23, 18:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 15, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't beg or "challenge" others to do your programming hobby for you. Development can't go smoothly if you expect to rely on others.

I was optimistic until you wanted a plugin for CGA and PC speaker.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 15, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looking at main.cpp it seems as if there is nothing other than basic machine code instructions implemented yet - ie no IO, no bios, no drives, no display, no keyboard etc.

It might be better looking at some of the other well established x86 emulators/simulators first for the missing pieces, rather than reinventing the wheel for every facet of your emulator.

Also, I'd reccomend not hard-coding print statements, file paths or filenames - you'll save yourself time later if you make them configuration or command-line arguments. Other people working on your code will thank you too!

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 8 of 15, by Alegend45

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, the majority of the printf statements are for CPU instructions to tell what they are. On Unix, or heck, Windows, you can do pcdude > log.txt to divert all that to a log file.

Also, there is preliminary I/O, and well, the closest emulator I could find that would suit me was Bochs, and honestly, that code is the messiest I've ever seen. Also, I prefer not to write a bios for my emulator.

Reply 10 of 15, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

Don't beg or "challenge" others to do your programming hobby for you. Development can't go smoothly if you expect to rely on others.

I was optimistic until you wanted a plugin for CGA and PC speaker.

Yes, same here. That's what I thought too.

@Alegend45:

Anyway, keep it up. 😀

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 11 of 15, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Alegend45 wrote:

github.com/Alegend45/PCDude

Website is rather sluggish on the world's fastest 486.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 12 of 15, by Alegend45

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@feipoa OF COURSE IT IS! 486's are long obsolete! Doesn't mean we shouldn't emulate them, though...

Also, PCDude v6 will have plugin support removed, due to the fact that it didn't work, and I couldn't get it to work.

However, there will be improvements to PCDude made in v6, at least.

Reply 13 of 15, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Alegend45 wrote:

@feipoa OF COURSE IT IS! 486's are long obsolete! Doesn't mean we shouldn't emulate them, though...

My point was that it would be of interest if the website worked suitably on fast 486's. Vogons, for example, works fine on my 486. It works so well, in fact, that 90% of my posts on here are done with my 486.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 15 of 15, by Alegend45

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm rewriting the emulator for v6! No, there's not anymore plugins. However, there is preliminary support for more CPU opcodes, the PIC, PIT, PPI, and even basic DMA support, although it does nothing at the moment. It's at the same code repo.

Also, I've learned from my earlier mistakes. No longer am I going to be completely dependent on others for my code. Hopefully, I can get the XT bios working right in v7, or v8.