VOGONS

First post, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_pppclfshE

Finally got around to doing another video 😀

There was a bug with the last Nvidia drivers and the CUDA component with PowerDirector but after disabling CUDA in a profile I was able to edit it this afternoon.

This tutorial is all about getting a clean installation of MS-DOS 7.1 on a FAT32 and showing you how to get rid of Windows and all of that.

I use a 16GB Kingston CF Card in my time-machine retro PC and got over the capacity limitations of DOS 6.22 / FAT16.

Hope this tutorial is useful to someone out there 😀

The steps:

1. Boot with W95B, W98 or W98SE Floppy or CD
2. Partition your drive with a single FAT32 partition
3. Format the partition
4. Install W95B, W98 or W98SE in C:\DOS
5. Shut down into MS-DOS mode
6. Edit MSDOS.SYS to hide splash screen and always boot into MS-DOS
7. Copy files from COMMAND and EBD sub-folders into C:\DOS
8. Create CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT
9. Delete all sub-folders in C:\DOS
10. Fill your drive with MS-DOS software (Games)

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 10, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for that!

What exactly do they mean by this:

It only occurs in Windows if the Performance tab of the System tool in Control Panel indicates that the disk file system is using MS-DOS Compatibility mode.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 10, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dear fellas, I'm sorry to revive such an old topic but I have a question. I watched a video about DOS 7.10 on YT and it said on the video that MS-DOS 7.1 is free and distributed under GMU GPL. Is it really so? If true, where can I download it?

Many thanks!

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John

Reply 6 of 10, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okz, many thanks for your reply, maybe I have mistaken this with FreeDos.

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John

Reply 7 of 10, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DOS_Boy wrote:

Okz, many thanks for your reply, maybe I have mistaken this with FreeDos.

It's not your fault.

There is a package floating around on the Internet called "MS-DOS 7.1", which comes as 2 floppy images or a 9MB CD ISO, and claims to be "GPL licensed".

It works just fine, but there's nothing GPL about it, and consists entirely of pirated software.

Maybe it's not illegal if you already own copies of all the software bundled in there, but IANAL, and it varies country to country. Use at your own risk.

Honestly, you're better off just using Mau1wurf's tutorial. 😉

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 8 of 10, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, mislabeling with GPL illegally is much akin to hexediting copyrighted games to say PUBLIC DOMAIN in the 80's so it's warez that's spread from no guilt and a lack of awareness, unfortunately getting it more mass-distributed lumped in with genuine public domain/GPL software. The only DOS 7.1 I acknowledge is the WINDOWS\COMMAND directory shipping with 9x, and not some repacks as 'oficial 7.1' or anything.

tl;dr: Misinformation sucks.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 10, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry for the thread necro, but this post was so incredibly helpful that I had to bump it. I've been fighting with DOS 6.22 all day. I did the steps in this thread and had a perfectly working clean DOS install with FAT32 support with no difficulties what so ever.

Here are a few more details regarding how to stop the windows GUI from loading and stopping the splash screen from showing.

First, you'll need to remove the hidden, system and read only attributes from msdos.sys by typing:
attrib msdos.sys -h -s -r

Then edit msdos.sys.

Under [Options] change: BootGUI=0
Add under that, add: Logo=0

Quit and save. Then re-add the hidden, system and read only attributes if you wish:
attrib msdos.sys +h +s +r

I have one question though. Is it possible to remove or change the message that says "Starting Windows 98..."? Its not a big deal, but if I've gone this far, it'd be nice to change that to MS-DOS 7.1. 😀

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 10 of 10, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote:

I have one question though. Is it possible to remove or change the message that says "Starting Windows 98..."?

It's hardcoded in io.sys (I think). It's possible to modify it with hex editor to something of equal length or shorter.