VOGONS

First post, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/13/ma … 2-comes-to-gog/

It looks like at long last System Shock 2 is coming to Good Old Games. I still have the original but will probably pick it up just so I don't have to handle the CD. It is supposed to have been updated to play on modern Operating Systems. The link above is to a RPS interview with Night Dive who secured the rights to update and release it. GoG currently has a countdown clock for the release tomorrow.

Reply 1 of 15, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Considering the legal mess with the rights to System Shock and everything, this came almost completely as a surprise! :O

...on the other hand, most requested game on GOG. ;)

Granted, I'm understandably curious if they'll be able to get the first System Shock up there now that System Shock 2 is making its way up. The events of System Shock 2 are just that much more powerful provided you've played through the first game first.

Though it was also nice to read that they would be making an effort to secure some Lucasarts titles. The two I'm hoping to see up there eventually are Day of the Tentacle and Full Throttle.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 4 of 15, by FaSMaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought it last night and played it for the first two hours, works well on modern hardware,but had to disable crossfire, as the screen was all yellow and green...

That being said, its sad that Gog once again used comunity based fixes and patches and claimed it as there own (see rock paper shotgun article) its sstool 4 was used to fix the game, and they didnt even give the dev team a shout-out

Reply 5 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Leileilo: i guess they reserve Origin for newer games. Same with offering all these Origin (the original company) games via GOG and not EA's Origin...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 15, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

@Fasman: GOG is not the most friendly company in regards to giving respect where respect is due...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 15, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Missed this game back in the day for some reason, although remember it was much talked about, and had never played it.

I'm now discovering and enjoying System Shock 2.

Let the air flow!

Reply 8 of 15, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm beginning to understand why Von Braun's crew hanged themselves & blow their brains out: They just went as mad as I'm now with the frigging cheapo jamming weaponry. 🤣

Let the air flow!

Reply 9 of 15, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TELVM wrote:

I'm beginning to understand why Von Braun's crew hanged themselves & blow their brains out: They just went as mad as I'm now with the frigging cheapo jamming weaponry. :lol:

Pro-Tip from someone who's beaten SS2 on Impossible Skill: Invest in maintenance skill early in if you intend to play without substantial psi abilities. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 10 of 15, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Feeling much better now, I learnt how to unjam weapons and found a very nice automatic rifle 😈 .

The atmosphere and the sounds are fantastic in this game, highly addictive 😎 .

Let the air flow!

Reply 14 of 15, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

What about the first one?

Not yet, somebody posted on a thread about this very thing so hopefully it will get released as well 😉

No matter where you go, there you are...