VOGONS

First post, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't know how many of you guys saw this but:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/238070/

This classic game is now available for free to promote the upcoming Reboot/Sequel. Can't say I really care about that, but if you've never played Shadow Warrior give it a try.

"HAHAHA YOU NO MESS WITH LO WANG"

Reply 1 of 13, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Now I wonder. Is Free to play the same thing as Freeware?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 13, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Steam... BAH! I'll stick with my SW CD-ROM 😀

Heh, did you notice the system requirements? I'm fairly sure they probably packaged DOSBox with the game, and a 1.8GHz CPU would barely chug along trying to play SW in DOSBox, along with the "Steam Resouce Hog Virus" running 🤣!

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 3 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"Free to Play" is not the same as "Free" ... once they free period has ended then the game needs buying. Steam does that from time to time with games they want to promote

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 13, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm pretty sure it's going to remain Free to Play. Initially they were giving CD-Keys but it didn't work that well so they just went with this.

rfnagel wrote:

Steam... BAH! I'll stick with my SW CD-ROM 😀

Heh, did you notice the system requirements? I'm fairly sure they probably packaged DOSBox with the game, and a 1.8GHz CPU would barely chug along trying to play SW in DOSBox, along with the "Steam Resouce Hog Virus" running 🤣!

It does come with DOSBox. How else could it work properly on a large range of systems? A single core, 1.8GHz CPU will be barely able to play it at 320x200, but that means you probably need a new computer all together. As for Steam, it's not really a resource hog, unless you're using a really old PC. Anything with more than a gig of RAM and a Dual Core CPU shouldn't notice a difference in speed when using Steam.
But anyway, this is mostly for those people who have never played Shadow Warrior before (including myself, I've been wanting to play it for quite some time and now I got my chance). And hey, who says no to free games 😀?

Reply 5 of 13, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes it likely comes with DOSBox. Hence my question, as you can just grab the files and play them on your Time-Machine.

Regarding Steam rfnagel: For me it is what makes PC gaming so much better than consoles. Steam and GOG.com are my main sources of games and their sales are fantastic. Give it another try!

My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's no actual DRM attached to the Steam version, so Steam at this point is just a fancy downloader for it.

Of course if they used a community-made source port they would get flak (see: Duke3D Megaton, which people hate because "EW IT BASE OFF OLD JFDUKE3D AND SELLING THE GAME WITH IT" for some blind reason without considering the game data is what is being sold and the port may be considered as complimentary)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 13, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjt wrote:

Oops, bought Shadow Warrior on GOG.com last weekend. Was only $2.99 though 😀 Are the Steam games easy enough to rip the files from for play on a real DOS pc?

I would also rather get the GOG.com version as it's clear that you own the game. With "free play" it would be interesting to read the terms in regards to having to run it when Steam is connected and things like that.

So far I haven't run into a GOG.com DOSBox game that I couldn't get running on a MS-DOS Time-Machine.

I made video tutorials here in this Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_cc838XPm4&li … _eeUW74SzgbVqyX

The "hardest" ones are bin/cue files with external ogg/mp3 files but the solution is straight forward. Most games give you a full installation CD that way.

My YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 13, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm mainly impressed by the DL size, at ~192MB. Compressing my CD image with 7zip results in a file of ~466MB. So it seems like something has been lost in the Steam version. It seems to be that the audio tracks have been recompressed as OGGs. Not the end of the world, but if you can find the original CD you are better off.

Reply 11 of 13, by telanus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote:

"Free to Play" is not the same as "Free" ... once they free period has ended then the game needs buying. Steam does that from time to time with games they want to promote

Devolver Digital made it free forever, according to their FB page:
The grasshoppers have spoken and Shadow Warrior Classic (1997) will be free to play permanently on Steam! Get your katanas out and start slashing away!