VOGONS

DOS Nostalgia youtube channel

Topic actions

First post, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know if this guy is already known in Vogons, but his youtube channel has some pretty interesting videos.
Here comes the Link:

http://www.youtube.com/user/dosnostalgic?feature=watch

Last edited by Pingaloka on 2013-06-09, 20:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 92, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"alley cat nostalgia"

yeah i'll take it all with a grain of salt. Anyone truly nostalgic about Alley Cat is going to be beyond showing things off on youtube and most likely not looking like a young Egon Spengler. 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 92, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Egon Spengler captures from Dosbox Emulator.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 3 of 92, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

leilei - well, he's Russian, and Western computers/games were hardly very big over there when Alley Cat was still "a thing"... guess they had to wait for the USSR to dissolve before cheap XT/AT clones started flooding the market (he opens one of his podcasts talking about that).

Not that this is a valid excuse for getting the CGA palette wrong in those background graphics. ;) Still, he could do a lot worse (I'm not one to talk, anyway).

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 4 of 92, by Anatoly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, everyone! Egon Spengler here! 😁
Questions, suggestions & criticism are very welcome.

PS
I got the CGA colors wrong? 80

DOS Nostalgia- remembering the good old days of IBM PC gaming
Website --- YouTube Channel --- Podcast RSS feed
Yours truly on Twitter

Reply 5 of 92, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just one area of improvement. Like 90% of videos out there, they are in the wrong aspect ratio.

DOSBox records them at 320 x 200. If you resize them to 640 x 480 they are 4:3 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 92, by Anatoly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Just one area of improvement. Like 90% of videos out there, they are in the wrong aspect ratio.

I'm aware of that. I actually think it looks better on 16x9 monitors, despite being technically wrong. But I'll think about it.

Yours truly on Twitter

Reply 8 of 92, by Anatoly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

You knew I meant it in jest 🤣

It's ok. I've got a big Twinkie just for you.
egontwinkie.jpg

Yours truly on Twitter

Reply 9 of 92, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anatoly wrote:

PS
I got the CGA colors wrong? 80

it's the First Commandment of RGBI.

In web-color parlance - "the #FF shall dwell with the #55, and the #AA shall lie down with the #00: but ye shall not mingle them otherwise. Unless thy color be number 6: for the Almighty IBM is merciful, and hath banished pee-yellow from the monitors of its children."
;)

Anyway, welcome.

Reply 10 of 92, by Anatoly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm sorry, but I'm lost now. Pardon me for not being familiar with the RGBI scripture.

Yours truly on Twitter

Reply 11 of 92, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anatoly wrote:

I'm sorry, but I'm lost now. Pardon me for not being familiar with the RGBI scripture.

It is probably a joke 😀 he has probably gotten it from some where else (Reddit perhaps ?) or he was inspired by the bible.

Reply 12 of 92, by Anatoly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
WolverineDK wrote:

It is probably a joke 😀 he has probably gotten it from some where else (Reddit perhaps ?) or he was inspired by the bible.

He's clearly referring to the color palettes, that I get, but for the life of me I can't figure out what "background graphics" of mine he's talking about. 😒

Yours truly on Twitter

Reply 13 of 92, by Anatoly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

BUMP!
A new episode of the podcast is up! http://www.dosnostalgia.com/?p=268
A renowned adventure game developer and artist Ben Chandler joins yours truly to discuss (what else?) a bunch of (mostly) classic DOS first person shooters made using Ken Silverman’s legendary Build Engine.

The podcast RSS feed is available here: http://feeds.feedburner.com/DosNostalgiaPodcast
iTunes page here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/dos-nostal … ast/id668247266

Yours truly on Twitter

Reply 14 of 92, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anatoly, I think what he was talking about is that DOSBox does not show one of the older graphics standards correctly, and he wrote it into a style. That reminded me of olden English from the bible 😀

Reply 15 of 92, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I finally got around to watching a few episodes of your show, Anatoly. It's not bad, though I have a few suggestions which could help for future episodes:

1. You have a bit of a monotone voice, so you may want to take advantage of this. Certain things can sound hilarious in monotone speech compared to regular speech when done right, though it's hard to give a good example. Basically, if you take something ridiculous but talk about it like it were normal in some way, even though it's clearly not, that's one method of using your particular vocal qualities to make things more amusing.

...OR...

1b. Add some sarcasm. ;)

2. If you're not already audio/video editing with a decent pair of headphones, start. It's much easier to get a proper volume balance going with headphones than with speakers. Your volume balance does improve with each episode but it could still be better.

3. Some of the pauses between paragraphs of dialogue feel a bit longer than they should be. You should come up with a standard amount of time for these pauses and stick with it each time unless something interesting is going on in the gameplay. In that event, you want to bring the volume of the gameplay to the forefront so viewers know instinctively to pay attention to what's happening on the screen and not simply digest what you've been talking about while waiting for more dialogue.

4. Since you seem to be comfortable in front of the camera, you should take advantage of this and occasionally cut from the gameplay itself to you talking about the game, then back again. This would also give you the opportunity to perform visual gags. :)

So yeah, those are my suggestions, take 'em or leave 'em. I probably won't be a regular watcher but I'll check back every once in awhile to see where you're at and such. Good luck with your show! :)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 16 of 92, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Pingaloka wrote:

I found this easy to masturbate to.

8/10

😜

Seriously though, you're doing a good job, better than my channel! 😀 Keep it up!

Subbed.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 17 of 92, by Anatoly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SquallStrife wrote:

I found this easy to masturbate to.

That's what I was going for!

Yours truly on Twitter

Reply 18 of 92, by Anatoly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just posted a new video that some people might enjoy (especially if you're into obscure foreign stuff):
"Happy Birthday!" a Russian edutainment game playthrough (Nikita, 1995)
While you're on a Russian roll, why not check out the 10h EGA graphics in this obscure title:
Black Zone (DOKA Media, 1995) Introduction
And if you have an hour to kill, here's my full playthrough of a Russian Space Quest rip-off!:
Russian Space Quest ripoff "Ivan Lozhkin: Price of Freedom" playthough

That's all for today.
Thank you, comrades.

Last edited by Anatoly on 2013-07-11, 20:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Yours truly on Twitter

Reply 19 of 92, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anatoly wrote:

While you're on a Russian roll, why not check out the 10h EGA graphics in this obscure title:
Black Zone (DOKA Media, 1995) Introduction

Ooh, looks (and sounds) top notch especially for its specs. Any info on this anywhere? Didn't quite 'get' the intro, for obvious reasons. :)