VOGONS

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://boingboing.net/2013/06/17/minecraft-in … y-language.html

Overv cloned Minecraft using x86 assembly. You can boot your computer into it.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 7, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

finally a minecraft that's not abstracted by icky java!

however... is this nothing more than a clone of CUBES5 by Ken Silverman?

Maybe I'll finally play it! I hate Java with a passion. 🤣

Reply 3 of 7, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Heh, self-booting games making a comeback?
This needs to get on Mobygames, just for the sake of having a 2013 release filed under "PC Booter". ;)

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 4 of 7, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think PC booters are a pretty cool concept, since they can be programmed to have raw access to the hardware without anything like APIs or OSes getting in the way. That being said, don't DOS games essentially work that way as well? I know that DOS does have its own set of APIs and whatnot, but I think it also allows other programs to "take over" as the OS so to speak and access the hardware through their own means.

Reply 5 of 7, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, DOS does provide some niceties such as a file system, memory management and I/O, but does practically nothing to prevent you from talking to the hardware or BIOS directly - in fact you're kinda forced to, since DOS just doesn't have graphics or sound APIs. But programs still have to "play nice" with the DOS memory model and disk access, and DOS takes up useful RAM... remember that the first IBM PCs had 64 KB max on board, and expansions weren't cheap. That's where booters benefit (plus the fact that they were a little harder to copy).

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 6 of 7, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

However, its really dangerous to play with hard disks without DOS. When people discovered the joys of affordable hard disks, fewer people were willing to tolerate booters.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog