VOGONS

First post, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://store.steampowered.com/app/39140/

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 10, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the original FF7 PC was using midi, let see how the new Midi-crippled windows 8 could handle it.

hmm, the page seems to omit windows 8.x in OS requirement.

and this:

• Character Booster – Find yourself stuck on a difficult section or lacking the funds to buy that vital Phoenix Down? With the Character Booster you can increase your HP, MP and Gil levels to their maximum, all with the simple click of a button, leaving you to enjoy your adventure.

Built in cheat button! yuck.

-fffuuu

Reply 3 of 10, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I guess hardcore fans will just continue playing the PSX version. But the music sounds quite close to the original. Certainly nothing as bad as the Fat of Atlantis release...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 10, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I actually still have my original PC copy on all four of its CDs. It runs... umm... "badly" on anything post Win98. Regardless of hardware acceleration settings. >_>;

Oddly though, I like FF8 better than FF7 nowadays... I think it's because I like the story better, even though FF7 has stronger gameplay... also maybe because the PC version of FF8 was always easier to get working. (Which I also still have!)

Might pick up the new Steam version at some point so I can play it again without digging out my old Win98 system, but it's not high on my priority list for sure.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 5 of 10, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Heh, funny. I am playing through FF7 with my original copy (bought when the game came out) in these days.

I think the music sounds very good on the XG compatible NEC XR385.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 6 of 10, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does the Steam version contain any copy-protection except for Steam? The Square Enix edition used Securom and I don't want Securom on my PeeCee.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 8 of 10, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

4CD version + Aali's custom driver - this is the proper way! To hell with Steam...

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 9 of 10, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

main character still has hooves for hands and retartedly skinny arms and legs, fix that i might count my self in.

Last edited by cdoublejj on 2013-09-03, 07:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 10, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This re-release on Steam is pretty crazy, mostly because there are so many complaints about the music in the Steam re-release not being the PS1 music. I haven't played the Steam re-release but if the complaints are right and the music is recordings of the MIDI music from the original PC port, I hope Square recorded the music with the Yamaha XG software provided with the original game or Yamaha XG hardware. I say that because a lot of complaints I noticed about the PC port focus mostly on the music and more often than not those complaints are the result of not playing the music back on the proper MIDI sound set which is a shame since the Final Fantasy VII soundtrack, at least in my opinion, sounds fantastic rendered on a Yamaha XG soundset. I will even go as far as to say that in many ways it sounds much better than the PS1's original music.