VOGONS

First post, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am currently in an attempt to tackle that. The main idea is to make a protected mode compatible TSR that loads a SF2 soundfont. If that fails, I have backup ideas though.

I think I could use some assistance with testing. Is anyone here interested in the project and has an AWE32/64 or SB 32 with onboard memory?

Last edited by bristlehog on 2013-09-07, 08:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 3 of 16, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, I've got a work-in-progress utility that plays XMIDI sequence with a SF2 loaded to AWE memory. Seems it is glitchy, at least I hear some patches disappearing and some notes hanging. You may run it to tell it's not just me and my hardware. I have to overcome this before moving to TSRs because it won't do good if the SF2 engine fails.

Use sfxplay.exe to test, and xmiplay.exe to hear how should it sound on AWE default ROM set.

To use AWE default ROM set with sfxplay, you run 'sfxplay blah.xmi synthgm.sf2', where synthgm.sf2 is a soundfont with no samples, only presets using ROM memory.

Some XMIDI music and SF2 soundfonts included.

Attachments

• Filename
    sfxplay.zip
    File size
    3.39 MiB
    Downloads
    227 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    xmiplay.zip
    File size
    403.01 KiB
    Downloads
    202 downloads
    File license

Reply 4 of 16, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's an utility to convert MID to XMI if you want to test your favourite MIDIs.

Attachments

• Filename
    MIDIFORM.zip
    File size
    16.03 KiB
    Downloads
    176 downloads
    File license

Reply 5 of 16, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, it seems that this version has no more missing patches and hanging notes bugs.

I have encountered some issues though. For me it works only in Win98SE dos box. If I reboot into DOS mode, sfxplay.exe crashes.

Some soundfonts cannot be used. Sfxplay says 'Error during soundfont load request.' for them. This means that ADIP (which is AWE32 Developer's Information Pack) soundfont loadup library call within SBAWE32.MDI returned failure. I have no ADIP sources, only the libraries. Thus the failure reason remains obscure.

Most soundfonts are though loaded correctly. It is even possible to play XMIs designed for MT-32 - just use the generic synthmt.sf2 for them.

Any other feedback?

Reply 6 of 16, by Magnuz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I m sry i cannot b of help here cause i m poles apart from the world of computer language. Hmmm... might it b possible for u to write in to Creative n ask about what u need? Cause Awe32 being a dinosaur now stand a chance of them releasing whatever source codes u need pertaining to your work.

Reply 7 of 16, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Companies are loath to part with their sourcecode. Creative is a good example of that

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 16, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't ask here for help with programming stuff or obtaining any source code. I only seek assistance in testing the utility, to eliminate possible bugs.

Reply 11 of 16, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Would be great if we could have a "replacement" Aweutil utility that will enable us to load *.sf2 files, instead of the default *.sbk files.
That way, one can at least enjoy most of your real mode DOS games with proper MIDI samples, as opposed to hearing just the default sound map.
You can override the Synthgm.sbk file with your own soundfont general MIDI file but, unfortunately, there aren't that many good General MIDI version 1 soundfont files around but, plenty of soundfont version 2 files (that will still fit into the 28 MB limit on the AWE based cards).

Reply 12 of 16, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Count me in for some testing and possible coding.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 14 of 16, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

I have a 32mb equipped CT3980, but did any of you realise the last message posted by bristlehog is from 5 years ago now?

Yeah, but bristlehog is still active here.

Just sent an IM.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK