VOGONS

Winamp is Dead

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 47, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ive just made some comparison rounds between foobar and winamp using my favorite Retro Game formats plugins and Winamp still holds its own very well.
Foobar has a good array of plugins too but I still give the edge to winamp.
Ram usage seems better optimized too.

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 42 of 47, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As long as there is a cash bidder interested in acquiring the technology, it won't go open source. Microsoft is only sniffing around to see if they can add anything to their patent portfolio so they can troll more people for violating their patents than they already do.

Reply 44 of 47, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another new version, 5.666, was just released. Very decent of them.

sliderider wrote:

As long as there is a cash bidder interested in acquiring the technology, it won't go open source. Microsoft is only sniffing around to see if they can add anything to their patent portfolio so they can troll more people for violating their patents than they already do.

Not everything is necessarily patented. In fact, if Nullsoft had any patents there would probably be a whole lot more people interested in buying the company, assuming AOL was somehow willing to let the patents go one way or another.

Reply 47 of 47, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

I thought it was weird that the site was still up.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2087504/winamp … -radionomy.html

It's not surprising.The company that acquired them is in a related field and buying out the rights to Winamp saves them the trouble of writing their own software from scratch.