VOGONS

First post, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't know how many fans of the C64 are here, but Individual computers are releasing a new mobo for C64 this year for its 32nd birthday. Using a mix of original and upgraded components, to maintain compatibility while adding some new modern features like switchable PAL/NTSC, S-Video output, lowered power consumption, while still fitting in original cases.

Doesn't include CPU or SID chips.

http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/C64_reloaded

800px-C64_reloaded_proto1_small.JPG

Price is rumoured to be 150 euro. A bit rich for me considering you could get two off ebay for that much, but the diehard fans might be keen.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 1 of 7, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If they were adding USB or an internal CF connector or some other feature it might be worth it but I'll stick to buying real C64's if I need any motherboards if this brings nothing new to the party. There are still millions of working C64/64C machines out there so it's not like they are going to disappear any time soon.

Reply 2 of 7, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From what I've seen so far nobody is really impressed. Jens is now talking about adding additional ports/headers for certain expansions.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 3 of 7, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

With Commodore I'm happy with emulation. These old 8 and 16 bit machines are a black hole for money 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 7, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting product and it warms my heart to see dedication like this for the C64, it's such a classic. I couldn't actually see this available for sale on their website, but 150 euro is pushing it regardless. The major benefit I see here is allowing for easy use of modern PSU's, the original Commodore ones were crap when new and worse now. But there are much cheaper ways to get around that problem. And the original C64's are still readily available, I bought 2 breadbins for spares recently - 35 bucks for both.

@Mau1wurf1977, they can be a black hole it's true - my C64 has been - but they're so much fun! I had my C64 on last night playing some demo tunes for background music and a couple of times I had to stop what I was doing to sit and marvel at how god damn cool it sounded and looked.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 6 of 7, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Great Hierophant wrote:

For 150 Euro, I'd expect case, keyboard, CPU and SID as well.

Any chance of one of your well researched blog entries on the C64? I was re-reading your NES entry the other day, it's a good one.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 7 of 7, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am somewhat at a disadvantage in writing about the Commodore 64 because I have never actually touched a physical unit. I only know it through emulation.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog