VOGONS

First post, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Might start a thread to let people know whenever GOG.com releases another DOS games.

This time it's:

F-117A Nighthawk Stealth Fighter 2.0

and

Pinball World

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 1 of 18, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Links using the DOSBox affiliate ID:

http://www.gog.com/game/f117a_nighthawk_steal … eabfeb199dc1f1f

http://www.gog.com/game/pinball_world?pp=b3f0 … eabfeb199dc1f1f

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GOG.com has a massive sale. If you haven't got all the Wing Commanders or other games, make sure you check it out:

http://www.gog.com/

I'm not sure what you need to do to get DOSBox affiliate ID links. Maybe someone can help out here 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 18, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mau1wurf, thank you! I must have unsubscribed from their list long ago...

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 4 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got 6 games yesterday for $11. The Hitman and Thief pack 😀

While I have many games on Steam already, at these prices I'm buying them again because they are DRM free. This will become very important when people start building Windows XP boxes and want to stay offline 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 18, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

DRM free.

This.

Fuck everything else. And I do mean fuck everything else. 😈

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 6 of 18, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have more games from GOG than I do physical games on my shelf. It's so addicting. Now to actually get around to PLAYING all these games...

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 7 of 18, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know right! That's exactly why I unsubscribed to their deals. They can be too tempting too often. Now I understand the psychology of 9.99 bucks or less that's used by internet marketers today. 😀

Reply 8 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

One issue is that GOG.com likes to mod / hack / patch many of their games to offer higher compatibility on modern PCs. For example Splinter Cell has EAX totally disabled. Even on a Windows XP machine it cannot be enabled. The Steam version and disc versions work fine however...

My YouTube channel

Reply 10 of 18, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

There's DOS EAX games?

There is DRM in DOS games? 😀
For me - GOG DOS releases are ok only because they include cd-images.
But you never know what you will get with a GOG windows release.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 11 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gamecollector wrote:

But you never know what you will get with a GOG windows release.

So true...

The very early 3D accelerated Windows games are the worst. Hacked to death more or less and not much left of the original game 🙁

DX9 games for XP should be perfect and will be awesome once XP / DX9 gaming becomes retro.

I believe the Medal of Honour game also has EAX removed.

My YouTube channel

Reply 12 of 18, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gamecollector wrote:

For me - GOG DOS releases are ok only because they include cd-images.

Often with all the vital files ripped out that would allow clean / legacy installation......

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 13 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

Often with all the vital files ripped out that would allow clean / legacy installation......

Yea that's true. Many games give you the full installation image. But not all. I once started making a list but it just ended up being to much work.

For early Windows games I ended up buying originals. Often they are cheaper than GOG.com. For example Splinter Cell you can get brand new from eBay UK for very little money. I also got Forsaken, Incoming, Unreal, Quake II that way.

My YouTube channel

Reply 14 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok so I had some time and tried Hitman and Hitman 2 on my Pentium 4 with Ti4800SE, XP, Audigy 2 and both work fine. You can select EAX, which is disabled when you try it on a Vista/7/8/8.1 PC 😀

Ti4200 seems too be far to weak for this game maxed out at 1600 x 1200.

And the first game supports DX, OpenGL and Glide!

My YouTube channel

Reply 15 of 18, by Hater Depot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Ok so I had some time and tried Hitman and Hitman 2 on my Pentium 4 with Ti4800SE, XP, Audigy 2 and both work fine. You can select EAX, which is disabled when you try it on a Vista/7/8/8.1 PC 😀

Even using Alchemy?

Korea Beat -- my cool translation blog.

Reply 16 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hater Depot wrote:

Even using Alchemy?

For the Splinter Cell release, no. They hacked the game to simply not support EAX anymore.

For the other games Alchemy should work, but you still won't be able to enable it in the menu and the EAX logo won't show up. This is all part of the retro experience 😀

In general I found Alchemy not that easy to setup. So for me that's another reason to build a cool XP retro PC.

My YouTube channel

Reply 17 of 18, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gamecollector wrote:
leileilol wrote:

There's DOS EAX games?

There is DRM in DOS games? 😀

OK OK... So much for the thread title... 😜