VOGONS

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wanted to put this up here, hope this is the right spot and I'm not violating any rules but I thought I'd throw this out there.

I'm going to be doing a series of youtube videos showing me attempting to run various games and software from the 80's on my IBM PCjr with 640k of RAM.
So far I have one video up but I thought you guys may like to see this since I personally can't find any information on what will or will not run on the PCjr at all.

If you don't know already (which you probably do) the PCjr was IBM's entry into the home computer market, they were attempting to compete with companies like Commodore and Apple but the computer never took off for various reasons not the least of which was the fact that a lot of IBM PC software would not run properly on the IBM PCjr. The IBM PCjr came out in 1984 and has what is now known as "Tandy graphics and sound" but it predates the tandy 1000 machines and is in fact where that chip set originates from.

So if you are like me and you want information on what will run or if you just are a PCjr enthusiast then take a gander. I hope this is useful to someone. 😀
(As of yet I only have but one video showing Roadwar 2000 but I am uploading a few tonight showing Elite, Roadwar Europa and Empire Wargame of the century.)

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEUkNrk … NDm3YKPjXHpSkv7

Once again, please, please don't ban me if this is not allowed. Just tell me and I'll remove this post. I'm just a regular DOS enthusiast and I'm not trying to exploit anything.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1 of 12, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I gave this a watch. It's not bad, but I have a number of suggestions which should help you out towards making stronger videos:

* As it stands, your series seems to be less about seeing if games will work on the PCjr and more about just playing them. Given the title of the show, I think taking shorter looks at multiple games per episode (at least 3) would be a better format than taking longer looks at single games.

* There's a lot of sections where absolutely nothing is happening. You should cut forwards to later moments where stuff does happen or you have interesting points of commentary. "Dead air" typically doesn't come across well in any videos so you want to minimize it as best as possible.

* Making references to things you SHOULD'VE done before starting the video, like checking for that eMail, is never a good idea, because it makes it seem like you don't know what you're doing. :P

* In terms of setting up your camera, since you're pointing it at the screen of the PCjr, you should have two separate camera angles, one for prior to playing the game so you can see the system as a whole, and one for when you're actually playing the game so people can focus on the screen directly and see what's going on. Also, for capturing screen footage directly from a CRT/LCD/etc., you absolutely must turn off your camera's auto-focussing and auto-exposure settings and manually set these up to get the best image quality possible.

* For a series about getting games working on the PCjr, there should be more of a focus on how the game plays differently on the PCjr compared to a typical IBM PC, rather than just playing the game as you normally would. This would work a lot better as a scripted show rather than a raw show, or at the very least, cut out all the parts that aren't relevant to the differences between the PCjr and the standard IBM PC.

* Don't cover the same game (even if different versions) in two different episodes in a series where every episode will have different games. This just feels like unnecessary padding. If two games are directly related to each other and you plan to cover them both within the same span of time, put 'em both together in the same episode! :P

* You left a full minute of black nothingness at the end of your video.

Other than that, one thing I do have to say is that you have a very good and clear speaking voice, which I imagine will get even better with practice and experience. That alone can help you stand out, but if you really want your show to gain traction you do need to condense your videos a bit and focus more on the topic of your series and less on raw gaming footage with minimal commentary, otherwise people will just think you're overglorifying a bunch of retro let's plays, which I'm sure wasn't your intention. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 2 of 12, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like your ideas! Thank you very much for the advice I will certainly use it, I'll probably be removing this episode and redoing it then after I fully write out everything and plan it better.

I was very annoyed that the camera auto adjusted for light levels, and on the more recent footage I found a large lamp to light up the computer area better so that everything doesn't appear as muddy and dark.

I agree too though that I should have planned it better, there are a few spots where I stumble over my words or as you say mention things which I should have done.
I should certainly write everything out and condense these game demos since this one is extremely drawn out and I give a tad more info about the system then I probably should have since this is not a history of the PCjr but I'm one of those people you ask for the time and I'll tell you how to build a clock. 😜

Also I have no idea how that minute of nothingness got on the end! 🤣 I had no idea that was even on there.

Reply 3 of 12, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:

I should certainly write everything out and condense these game demos since this one is extremely drawn out and I give a tad more info about the system then I probably should have since this is not a history of the PCjr but I'm one of those people you ask for the time and I'll tell you how to build a clock. :P

That's actually not so bad an idea. The PCjr is an oddity and people will want to learn more about it. It's the GAMES you want to be careful talking too much about in terms of just basic functionality. If your show is about making games work on the PCjr, your content should focus on PCjr related facts and trivia, be it the system itself or how the games work on the system contrary to the way they typically would.

King_Corduroy wrote:

Also I have no idea how that minute of nothingness got on the end! lol I had no idea that was even on there.

ALWAYS watch one of your episodes start to finish before uploading. You never know what kind of oddities may've crept in due to messing up render time selections or glitches in memory preventing video data from rendering properly. I also typically recommend people to completely close out their editing software and reload it right before making a final render, that way all the content loaded is fresh in memory and if there's any glitches it will be related to the content itself and not because it was simply being shuffled around in memory too many times. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 6 of 12, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ads? Really?

Sorry but I won't be watching your videos for this reason 😒

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 12, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

This thread just reminds me of how I'm still missing a PCjr for my collection. I should have bought one years ago before they became collectible. 🤣

Haha, I actually bought mine from an old man who sold me the computer, the monitor, a LOT of software, all the manuals and a joystick all in the original boxes for the awesome price of 10$.

Also murf it's a shame that bothers you, I'm just trying to see if this youtube thing really is as profitable as everyone says while providing some useful information.
Although I must say I don't see how anyone is making any money at it, all you get is pennies up to 10 cents depending how long people watch.

That said maybe I'll take the monetization off though.

Reply 8 of 12, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Ads? Really?

Sorry but I won't be watching your videos for this reason 😒

So I guess you don't watch anything from AVGN and LGR as well then (or any Youtuber who has this as his livelihood like AngryJoe and TotalBiscuit)? 90% of the rest of Youtube and other services gotta be offlimit then since they have ads.

Sorry, but your argument for boicotting his videos are very thin.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 10 of 12, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

So I guess you don't watch anything from AVGN and LGR as well then (or any Youtuber who has this as his livelihood like AngryJoe and TotalBiscuit)? 90% of the rest of Youtube and other services gotta be offlimit then since they have ads.

Yes I don't watch any of them. It's my choice.

My YouTube channel

Reply 11 of 12, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's a great possibility Youtube will start to force ads on all videos to increase revenue. Ofc this is entirely within their right as they are offering a free service. So what will you do then with your own videos, take them all down? Gotta be a though choice.

To the OP: No need to change your practice.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 12 of 12, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It will be up to the individual to decide. Not my problem. Also nobody cares if I don't watch their video. Plenty do. The world moves on.

My YouTube channel