VOGONS

Reply 40 of 372, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MrFlibble wrote:

Thanks! I did not realize that the programme required a particular version of Allegro to compile.

About all Doom DOS source ports use v3.0, or v3.12 at most. Doom MBF 2.04 should work with stock v3.0 too, but Sound Blaster Pro and especially Adlib support is improved in my modded v3.0.
Glad the compile is succesful now.

MrFlibble wrote:

Is there any difference in what version of the compiler to use? It is mentioned in the makefile that GCC 2.7 "can also mess up MBF in hires, but very rarely". Does this mean that another version is more preferable and will result in a more stable executable?

I noticed these comments too, but my memory is currently failing to make out what I was describing there, and wheter or not it was fixed. AFAIK there are no instabilities with the current release.
Cannot illustrate any noticable differences in a 1997 versus a 2014 compiler setup for this program.. It is weighing the many bugfixes of 2014 packages to the tried and tested 1997 packages. Note that GCC 2.7 does have a slightly different syntax for the compiler options.

@keropi
It is on my todo list now. Was thinking: Maybe sufficient FPS can be gained by using pixel doubling (horizontal or vertical) in 640x400 mode.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 43 of 372, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@gerwin
nice to hear it's in the plans to add some resolution stuff , can't wait 😀

@dr_st
also Quake and Blood support 320x400 , you can check it there

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 44 of 372, by Oddbrother

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried it with FreeDoom on Boxer. Smooth as molasses.

Screen Shot 2015-06-24 at 11.23.08 PM.PNG
Filename
Screen Shot 2015-06-24 at 11.23.08 PM.PNG
File size
266.9 KiB
Views
File comment
FreeDoom Phase 1 on MBF on Boxer on Mac
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Then tried it with HACX IWAD. Failed on startup.

DOOM M.B.F. 2015-06-24 at 11.29.58 PM.png
Filename
DOOM M.B.F. 2015-06-24 at 11.29.58 PM.png
File size
469 Bytes
Views
File comment
HACX on MBF on Boxer on Mac
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I also tried Chex Quest, but it reported a missing header.

Reply 45 of 372, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The original Chex Quest and not CQ3 and NOT the modified idgames/ release? That should work since it's technically a modified Ultimate Doom iwad.

HACX might still work as its original pwad-for-doom2 form.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 46 of 372, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Oddbrother wrote:

Then tried it with HACX IWAD. Failed on startup.

MBF does not recognize HACX.WAD as a valid IWAD because it only contains 21 maps. MBF expects the Doom II IWAD to have at least 30 maps (which is the German release that omits Wolfenstein 3-D levels). Because of how the algorithm of IWAD detection in MBF works, it gets confused and thinks HACX.WAD is a Doom IWAD, hence complaining it can't find E1M9.

That's not all though. HacX v1.2 in its original form will not work with MBF anyway. If you try to load it as a PWAD, it will crash as soon as you try to start the game or the demo playback starts, with a "Segmentation Violation" error message. It turns out that HACX.WAD was compiled according to ZDoom standards, and misses REJECT lumps. This issue is discussed in detail here:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/source-ports/6121 … nd-prboom-2-02/

I have used ZenNode to rebuild the REJECT lumps, and with this fix HACX.WAD works fine with MBF. Blzut3 says the issue will be addressed with HacX v1.3.

BTW gerwin, I have noticed that in vanilla DOSBox v0.74, aspect correction does not work properly with MBF even at 320x200 resolution. I expected the issue to only occur at high resolution, as for 320x200 it was fixed since v0.72 (according to this thread). I have tried running MBF with the -stdvid parameter but the issue still persists.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 47 of 372, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MrFlibble wrote:

BTW gerwin, I have noticed that in vanilla DOSBox v0.74, aspect correction does not work properly with MBF even at 320x200 resolution. I expected the issue to only occur at high resolution, as for 320x200 it was fixed since v0.72 (according to this thread). I have tried running MBF with the -stdvid parameter but the issue still persists.

That would be really odd, as I would not now how to break such a thing. I just tested it, and all video modes render to a 640x467 image when 'aspect=true' in Dosbox 0.74. So it seems to work fine here?

Reply 49 of 372, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes,
One of the last changes to MBF 2.04 was the use of VESA mode 320x200 when listed as supported in the VESA BIOS. Usually mode 150h. As this mode allows page flipping, and is more compatible+faster then Mode-X*. It also means that in that case MBF will prefer VESA 320x200 above mode 13h. One can verify which mode is used by MBF by enabling the option "Show frame rate + mode indicator".

*Mode-X may be faster then VESA when using planar buffering, but since that is not the case in MBF: VESA is faster here.

Reply 50 of 372, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:

One can verify which mode is used by MBF by enabling the option "Show frame rate + mode indicator".

I've just tried running MBF with several IWADs with the -stdvid parameter, and the mode displayed is 150h anyway. Is there any way to force the use of the standard 13h mode?

ripsaw8080 wrote:

FYI, the aspect ratio of 400-line VESA modes is fixed in DOSBox SVN (320x200 is a 400-line mode due to line doubling)

Thanks, did not know that. I mostly use SVN Daum, which has dealt with the issue quite a while ago.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 51 of 372, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MrFlibble wrote:

I've just tried running MBF with several IWADs with the -stdvid parameter, and the mode displayed is 150h anyway. Is there any way to force the use of the standard 13h mode?

It is all intentional. 150h is the '-stdvid' when available. '-Stdvid' was meant to select equal visual detail level for benchmarking, not to revert to 13h just because (Though maybe Quake does it that way). I will have to add another parameter to the program for this, as a workaround. Or the DosBox team has to release their v0.75 Edition. 😉

Reply 53 of 372, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Any updates on the semi-highres modes? Or summer kicked in and coding needs a rest? 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 54 of 372, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The other time I looked at the source to see if a quick hack would do for semi-highres, but the changes were spread in a dozen or so files. So I need a good afternoon or evening to make it proper. At the end of august my real life responsibilities should ease a bit.

Reply 55 of 372, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

awesome, looking forward to test this when it comes out 😀
thanks for the update gerwin!

Reply 56 of 372, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finally managed to work on MBF a little, for the first time this year.
There is a low detail mode now, currently only invoked by parameter -lowdet.
Keropi, how much FPS gain does this bring on your system? On a 486 it is about 10%.

Reply 57 of 372, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

is there a new build available? should I timedemo my 233mmx?

Reply 59 of 372, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OK here is what I get:
"-timedemo demo3 -lowdet" = 89.7 fps
"-timedemo demo3" = 75.4 fps