VOGONS

Reply 60 of 372, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is 19%. The next question is, if it is sufficient to make 640x400 enjoyable on your system?

I might be able to squeeze out a few more FPS rewriting the low-detail procedures in assembler, but I am not sure if I can.

Last edited by gerwin on 2015-10-11, 18:07. Edited 1 time in total.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 61 of 372, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It does run better , it hover in the upper 30fps : most of the time it's 35fps with dips to 32-33fps at some points - nothing serious.
Will you be also implementing 320x400 or is the new lowdet mode the equivalent to it?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 62 of 372, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I worked on the low detail mode a little more (new upload). In high resolution it is visually identical to running in an actual 320x400 video mode, in low resolution mode it is visually identical to the low detail mode that is available in original Doom (key F5). Though it won't come near the Framerate gain of actually using mode 320x400, or that of the original doom low detail mode.
I am still reluctant to really add one more video mode, or a few more, or many more... For several reasons. Rather work on the sound drivers or something. Also I really need to assembly a Socket 7 or Slot-1 system again.

Reply 63 of 372, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I see 😀
well if you ever find the time a 320x400 would be a nice addition/bonus IMHO because of the framerate gain.
A slot1 and above build will run everything at a constant 35fps with ease , don't get one we need more fps 😜 🤣 🤣 🤣
What is the problem with the sound drivers? Do you want to integrate tilakat's GM fixes?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 64 of 372, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm, Slot-1 is still better for this. It combines acceptable time to compile a program with the ability to get meaningful and quick 640x400 benchmark results. I can downclock it to 100MHz when necessary.

There is no problem with the sound drivers. But I always wanted to add Windows sound system support etc. Getting it to run on modern Realtek audio would be very cool as well, but I don't know if that is feasable. Next; I don't like the fact that MBF does not give sound with the Vortex-2 PCI SB-Pro emulation driver.

Tikalat's GM fixes only apply to the original Doom, not to any source port. Since the source of the original DMX sound engine was never released.

Reply 65 of 372, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Jorpho mentioned that MPXPLAY has some code that initializes modern sound hardware under DOS, maybe it would pay to take a look in it's source code.
Can't wait to see what you come up with! 😀

Reply 66 of 372, by Danfun64

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does this release contain all of the fixes posted here?

edit: seems it does, considering it's mentioned on mbfup204.txt. Nevermind...

edit2: I guess what I should be asking is "What is a 'Demo Compatibility bugfix'?". Is that a bugfix which makes demos recorded on MBF 2.04 incompatible with prboom+?

Reply 67 of 372, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Danfun64 wrote:

I guess what I should be asking is "What is a 'Demo Compatibility bugfix'?". Is that a bugfix which makes demos recorded on MBF 2.04 incompatible with prboom+?

Sourced from this page: http://prboom.sourceforge.net/mbf-bugs.html
It is mainly to avoid synchronizing errors when playing demos. If the game handles playing a demo only slighly different compared to the original game that recorded the demo: it would get out of sync.

Reply 68 of 372, by Danfun64

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Strange bug. When autorun is set to 1, I get the message "Shift key is pressed, waiting..." When I press caps lock, I am able to access the game. If I press caps lock again before I choose a new game, it crashes with a segmentation fault (couldn't get the number). For the longest time, I have autorun set to 1 on boom without issue, and have it set on the other doom source ports I run. Can you fix this strange bug?

Reply 72 of 372, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's a little issue that I discovered when running the HacX registered PWAD v1.0 in MBF with the Freedoom Phase 2 IWAD. While the game worked more or less fine, MBF used all message strings not from HACX.DEH, but from the BEX lump in the Freedoom IWAD. The same happens with PrBoom and prBoom+. Apparently, Boom-derived ports give priority to data in BEX over DEH files regardless of the order in which they are loaded. Can this be fixed please?

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 73 of 372, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Upload no. 11:
Added -noDehWad parameter to not load Dehacked lumps found inside WADs.
Again Rewrote shift=pause at startup console, as to disregard Caps Lock.

MrFlibble wrote:

Here's a little issue that I discovered when running the HacX registered PWAD v1.0 in MBF with the Freedoom Phase 2 IWAD. While the game worked more or less fine, MBF used all message strings not from HACX.DEH, but from the BEX lump in the Freedoom IWAD. The same happens with PrBoom and prBoom+. Apparently, Boom-derived ports give priority to data in BEX over DEH files regardless of the order in which they are loaded. Can this be fixed please?

I am reluctant to change the actual priority/order of loading these, since the source is very specific about loading individual unpacked DEH files first. But the parameter above works around it in this case.

Danfun64 wrote:

Strange bug. When autorun is set to 1, I get the message "Shift key is pressed, waiting..." When I press caps lock, I am able to access the game. If I press caps lock again before I choose a new game, it crashes with a segmentation fault (couldn't get the number). For the longest time, I have autorun set to 1 on boom without issue, and have it set on the other doom source ports I run. Can you fix this strange bug?

The game should now ignore caps lock status. I have not yet investigated the related segmentation fault you mention. I originally added the shift=pause function as an easy way to consult the startup messages.

Reply 74 of 372, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:

I am reluctant to change the actual priority/order of loading these, since the source is very specific about loading individual unpacked DEH files first. But the parameter above works around it in this case.

Thanks a lot!

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 75 of 372, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

New version:
Added 'Windows Sound System' (WSS) Digital Sound Driver: 16 bit Stereo, up to 44100 Hz.
As the game currently does not obey setup.cfg, use the ULTRA16 environment variable to pass the details:
For example "SET ULTRA16=530,1,7" for IO=0x530, DMA=1, IRQ=7.
This is digital driver number 7 in the game config.

The WSS driver works reliably with my CS4232 soundcard, if you have a different WSS compatible card installed; I would like to hear how it works you.
I am not satisfied with the above configuration confusion, and intend to improve that eventually.

Reply 76 of 372, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Upload no.13:
The sound and music driver setup now works as one would expect: Setup.exe does all, MBF.exe always obeys. Much better 😀
Updated WSS driver to support CMI8330 sound card etc.

Reply 77 of 372, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tested it on my K6-2 450, loved it!
There is one doubt, though... If I set the game to hi-res mode, I noticed that the framerate slows down to less than 15fps, but only when the player is close and looking directly to a wall. If the player is in an open area, even with many walls at distance, the game runs at steady 35fps.
Facing enemies does not cause the slowdown either, do you know if is there any way around it?

Best regards

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP (128 bit)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD

Reply 78 of 372, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Glad you like it.

Framerate is supposed to increase when hugging a wall, and that is what I see myself. Is it related to the amount of walls visible versus the amount of floor?
- If you haven't done so already: The AMD K6-2 (stepping 8 and above) supports Write combining through the CPU-MTRR's. Sounds Complicated but enabling this will increase framerates considerable for ANY hi-res game. Don't know by head which tool can do this on the K6-2, but here are some pointers.
- Try "MBF -noasm", and if all else fails try "MBF -lowdet" to see if it runs better.

I can set up a K6-2 system myself if necessary, and if time allows it...

Reply 79 of 372, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the advice, I didn't know about write combining.
After some research found a tool called setk6 which enables the feature and was able to set it up, but to be honest I didn't see any noticeable increase in performance on "high definition" DOS games, plus the tool does not work with EMM386 which I need for a lot of my games so I ended up disabling it in pure DOS (I am using the windows version, though, just to see if I can get any improvement).
As for MBF, with the -noasm flag there was no noticeable difference, the -lowdet flag however improved the performance (and worsened the graphics), but there is still noticeable slowdown when hugging walls.
I even tried with the onboard video card to see if it is a video related issue (ATI Rage PRO), but the issue persists. This is sad because MBF is so much faster than Doom Legacy on 640x400...

My system specs in case you have interest in investigating it someday:
K6-2 450mhz
256mb RAM PC133
V72MA Motherboard
SoundBlaster AWE 64 Gold ISA
Diamond Stealth 3D 2000(Virge S3) 2mb
Voodoo2 8mb

Thanks a lot for the support.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz