VOGONS

Reply 740 of 781, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was only half serious, I like Phil and enjoy watching his videos. I wish he returned to being more active here. I believe shit hit the fan over his electromyne involvement, which caused him to just silently pack up and leave. At the end of the day, who cares? Small bunch of people causing too much noise as usual..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 742 of 781, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

Small bunch of people causing too much noise as usual..

And making "half serious" comments.

Unfortunately neither witty nor accurate.

Try harder.

Reply 743 of 781, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think Phil played a crucial role here and he really helped around a lot here 😀
Or at least he certainly had a positive influence on here 😜

If anyone wants to know what exactly happened, why not just ask him? It's not like he disappeared from the face of the earth 🤣

But in the end, people come and people go...and people come back. Maybe he will come back one day and best is if the pace he comes back to will still be worth coming back to 😀

I still watch his vids from time to time, but time is something I do not have a lot of lately.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 744 of 781, by maverick85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Phil, I challenge you to build the ultimate balls to the wall windows xp build
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQDEWNs7e5M

ASRock 98
Win98SE Desktop
ASRock
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz
1 x 512MB 667 MHz DDR2
Soundblaster SB0100 + Altec Lansing ADA885
ATi Radeon X800XT 256MB GDDR3
1 x SATA 120GB HDD
1 x SATA DVD-RW

Reply 746 of 781, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote on 2016-08-24, 09:31:

Half-Life on 3dfx Voodoo Banshee on a Super Socket 7 retro gaming PC

DFI SS7 motherboard, K6-III+ 550 MHz, 128 MB RAM, ELSA Victory II 3dfx Voodoo Banshee and a Aureal Vortex 2 sound card.

Listen to this video with headphones for that awesome A3D 3D sound over headphones experience. I recorded the audio via optical cable, thanks to ZanQuance, he wrote me a fix to get this going.

Did you also apply other fixes by any chance?
I see that you may have been more informed then, than the first time you tried to record HL... But as far as Zan once told me, using the latest api version was a no go to get a decent quality.

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 748 of 781, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mirh wrote on 2020-01-31, 14:22:

Did you also apply other fixes by any chance?

mirh, PhilsComputerLab has been gone from VOGONS for several years now, and I don't think he's coming back. You will have to find him elsewhere if it is truly important.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 749 of 781, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2017-12-12, 01:38:
I think Phil played a crucial role here and he really helped around a lot here :) Or at least he certainly had a positive influe […]
Show full quote

I think Phil played a crucial role here and he really helped around a lot here 😀
Or at least he certainly had a positive influence on here 😜

If anyone wants to know what exactly happened, why not just ask him? It's not like he disappeared from the face of the earth 🤣

But in the end, people come and people go...and people come back. Maybe he will come back one day and best is if the pace he comes back to will still be worth coming back to 😀

I still watch his vids from time to time, but time is something I do not have a lot of lately.

I've learned a lot from watching his Youtube videos, that are in general useful tutorials, reviews or benchmarks. He's not always right and benchmarks / comparisons are not always 'perfect' (comparing apples with oranges in some videos), but respect from me for how much work he puts into making the videos. I've seen that nowadays he focuses on more recent pc hardware, stuff that doesn't have my interest. I would like to see more benchmark videos containing hardware from the period 1995-2005. He can still make a ton of (unique) videos about that period of hardware.

Reply 750 of 781, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

He can still make a ton of (unique) videos about that period of hardware.

That would require to focus on quality over quantity at this point. Frankly, his recent videos about building yet another generic Win9x build or some such are very derivative.

He's not always right and benchmarks / comparisons are not always 'perfect' (comparing apples with oranges in some videos)

They are not only "not perfect", but sometimes are outright misleading, without proper context.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 751 of 781, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-02-21, 15:55:

They are not only "not perfect", but sometimes are outright misleading, without proper context.

I spotted a few minor mistakes in some of Phil's videos, but overall I think he's doing a fantastic job.

Very high production values, solid info for people who are just getting (back) into PC retro gaming and a wide selection of devices reviewed. I learned a lot from watching his stuff, especially with regards to sound cards.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 752 of 781, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was hoping Phil's videos would evolve into more in depth and informative content like the stuff HighTreason makes (and I wish he would make more of them..) but it really devolved into.. weirdness for lack of a better definition..

Reply 753 of 781, by texterted

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, if you can do better? You know where Youtube is.

I'll look forward to your content.

Cheers

Ted

98se/W2K :- Asus A8v Dlx. A-64 3500+, 512 mb ddr, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Live.
XP Pro:- Asus P5 Q SE Plus, C2D E8400, 4 Gig DDR2, Radeon HD4870, SB Audigy 2ZS.

Reply 754 of 781, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
texterted wrote on 2020-02-21, 19:04:

Well, I also happen to think that Phil's channel took a nosedive in quality when it started focusing on modern stuff or downright bizarre hardware (such as those unbranded not old but not really new motherboards from China? WTF?). Doesn't mean I need to become a YouTuber if I don't like the content, in the same way I don't have to become a chef if I don't like the food that is served at a restaurant.

A shame really, a lot of his 386/486/MIDI stuff was really nice, but he doesn't seem to care about that at all now.

Reply 755 of 781, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
texterted wrote on 2020-02-21, 19:04:

Oh, really? Now it takes being able to do it better to criticize something?

Reply 756 of 781, by texterted

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's easy to criticise, difficult to create. If you don't like something, don't watch it.

Cheers

Ted

98se/W2K :- Asus A8v Dlx. A-64 3500+, 512 mb ddr, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Live.
XP Pro:- Asus P5 Q SE Plus, C2D E8400, 4 Gig DDR2, Radeon HD4870, SB Audigy 2ZS.

Reply 757 of 781, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
texterted wrote on 2020-02-21, 20:55:

It's easy to criticise, difficult to create. If you don't like something, don't watch it.

Reasonable criticism isn't bad and discussion isn't either. In this case it was simply a wish for more in depth content. Feedback and constructive criticism are important when looking to improve things. They're a good thing, wouldn't you agree?

That's why I strongly disagree with the "don't like it don't watch it" argument in reaction to non-destructive negative criticism. Do you understand what I mean?

Nobody's saying you aren't supposed to enjoy those videos or trying to dictate their opinion. What's the problem with others expressing an opinion different from yours?

Reply 758 of 781, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2020-02-21, 17:36:

I was hoping Phil's videos would evolve into more in depth and informative content like the stuff HighTreason makes (and I wish he would make more of them..) but it really devolved into.. weirdness for lack of a better definition..

Phill isn't the same as he used to be before, in the old times, his channel was purely for "retro computing", now he's too much focused in modern computers and lost focus and enphasis in retro stuff, plus he's heavily criticized and disliked/hated by part of the community since the electromynie drama back in 2017

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 759 of 781, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Carlos S. M. wrote on 2020-02-21, 23:15:

since the electromynie drama back in 2017

There was drama? They were his sponsor and I got a few great parts from them with his voucher codes. Good deal for me - I mean, a man's gotta eat.

I agree that his latest videos seem very generic and uninspired though.
That Audigy 2 ZS video seemed to be a bit rushed, for example. He just installed all of the bloat from the CD and made it look like that's the only way to make it run on Win98.
"It forces DirectX 9 and WDM" - bro, just install the drivers manually without the setup.exe.

I also couldn't care less about [Generic chinese motherboard #7382], but I have to say that the videos are pretty well produced if you just look at time, editing and how the information is presented.
HighTreason sometimes rants on for an hour with a shaky camera in a dimly lit room - sorry, my eyes are too old for this to be enjoyable. 😀 I've grown fond of people like RetroSpector78, TechTangents, RetroManCave, Nostalgia Nerd and CuriousMarc- they produce their videos very well without them being too long.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"