VOGONS

Reply 60 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Let's Play Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow Period Correct - Jerusalem Israel - Part 4

This is Part 4 and we are in Jerusalem Israel. Quite a long level but also very varied with lots of stealth in the beginning and action towards the end 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 61 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

MS-DOS Mode Tutorial: Memory Mouse CD-ROM Sound Blaster in Windows 95 98 MS-DOS Mode

This tutorial is to help users who have a working W9x Gaming PC and want to configure a fully working MS-DOS mode with boot menu for memory options such as XMS and EMS, working mouse, CD-ROM drive and Sound Blaster ISA card (SB 16/32/64 PnP and semi-Pnp cards).

For users who are comfortable with building and configuring a W9x machine but encounter challenges when trying to run DOS games.

Link for downloading the files shown in the video:

http://www.philscomputerlab.com/ms-dos-mode-tutorials.html

Reply 63 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Choosing a Processor for Socket 7 Retro PC

In this video I am giving an overview of popular Socket 7 and Super Socket 7 processors for a Retro Gaming PC.

Reply 64 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cheap as chips Cooler mod for Voodoo 3 cards!

Video guide:

3dfx Voodoo 3 Cooler

Why?

Voodoo 3 cards are known to run very hot and come with a passive cooler only

Benefits?

- Cheap
- Card remains intact / resell value

What do I need?

- 80mm fan
- 1 thin cable tie
- 2 rubber bands

For those who don't like watching videos:

- Place fan on top of card
- Put the cable tie through the bottom right hole on the fan and cooler.
- Tighten cable tie and clip off remaining part
- Secure the left side of the fan with two rubber bands

Uw4R7vzl.png

yMtesZBl.png

E5bofgfl.png

Last edited by PhilsComputerLab on 2015-05-21, 00:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 65 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Let's Play Screamer 2 Bleifuss Period Correct 3dfx Voodoo 60 fps

Some Screamer 2 game play. This is the GOG.com version which has BIN / CUE files (just need renaming).

PC specifications are shown in the start of the video but it's on a Voodoo 3 in Windows 98 SE MS-DOS mode.

Reply 66 of 781, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
philscomputerlab wrote:
Cheap as chips Cooler mod for Voodoo 3 cards! […]
Show full quote

Cheap as chips Cooler mod for Voodoo 3 cards!

Video guide:

3dfx Voodoo 3 Cooler

Why?

Voodoo 3 cards are known to run very hot and come with a passive cooler only

Benefits?

- Cheap
- Card remains intact / resell value

What do I need?

- 80mm fan
- 1 thin cable tie
- 2 rubber bands

For those who don't like watching videos:

- Place fan on top of card
- Put the cable tie through the bottom right hole on the fan and cooler.
- Tighten cable tie and clip off remaining part
- Secure the left side of the fan with two rubber bands

Is there any possibility of the rubber bands and plastic zip ties melting from the heat produced from the chip? Obviously the fan is intended to keep it cool, but it does not cool the underside directly. Are the fins too wide for a screw to fit in the fins?

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 67 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I found that the rear side doesn't get hot with a fan in front. It does get very hot without active cooling (default).

Melting is a non-issue. The melting point of rubber / plastic is quite high.

An update on my website:

Wrote up a page on the game Screamer 2 covering:

- How to burn an installation CD from the GOG.com version of the game
- How to install it on a Retro Gaming PC
- Downloads for 3dfx Voodoo patches and glide2x.ovl for both Voodoo and Voodoo 2 and later
- Game play video

http://www.philscomputerlab.com/screamer-2--bleifuss.html

Reply 68 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Installing GOG.com Games Windows on 95 98

GOG.com is a good source for early Windows 95 and 98 3D games, some using 3dfx glide but also DirectX or Open GL. Many users on have built Windows 9x Retro Gaming PCs and might be interested in purchasing cheap games on GOG.com with the intend on playing them on their Windows 9x Retro Gaming PCs.

Unfortunately the GOG.com installer doesn't run on Windows 9x.

In this video I will show you a workaround which involves extracting the GOG.com installer and copying the game folder onto your Windows 9x Retro Gaming PC. This works for many games but obviously not all of them, specifically when they use registry entries.

For games that use 3dfx glide, references to nGlide must be remove in order for a real 3dfx Voodoo to render the game. I am also showing this in this video.

Reply 70 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Evert wrote:

I remember seeing one like this on your old YouTube channel. Very useful! Thank you for putting it up again.

Yea sorry about that. Switching channels was a pain but necessary. I'm getting back into a rhythm and got a ton of projects lined up. Time is always the enemy and running into odd issues that delay things.

Reply 72 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Evert wrote:

No problem, the newer remakes of some of your old videos are much better. I always prefer quality over quantity.

Yes a lot of videos I wasn't happy with. It's a good learning experience, this one is an "old" one and also a bit long winded. You can show the same steps in fraction of a time. So that's the main thing I'm changing, shorter videos, more to the point and also write ups on my website because not everyone wants to watch half an hour of video to fix a game issue for example 🤣

The website still needs a LOT of work. Quite tedious putting it all up and I often work on a project, then see something interesting on VOGONS, get distracted and end up finishing nothing.

Reply 74 of 781, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just watched your video on GOG.com games - very useful, cheers for that!

As for the registry files, surely there's a way of transposing the Inno script files into REG files? REG files are human-readable text files and look very similar to the Inno script notation. Maybe someone out there with programming experience can write a script to wrangle these Inno entries into the right form for a REG file.

Reply 75 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Screamer 2 - more than just a review!

I will show you how to tweak the game for optimal graphics and sound, how to play it on a DOS Retro gaming PC and finishing off with a review and some game-play.

Here is the link to my website as shown in the video: http://www.philscomputerlab.com/screamer-2--bleifuss.html

There you can download the 3dfx Voodoo patches and study the steps to create your installation CD from the GOG.com installation.

Screamer 2 GOG.com Review Tweak Guide

Reply 77 of 781, by Evert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Phil: This is slightly OT and probably a noob question, but would you say that running a newer AGP card (say a GeForce FX) and a PCI Voodoo 3 (Voodoo 3 2000 I think) could be good for a Windows 9x rig? Can you easily switch between the two displays?

sigpic2689_1.gif

Reply 78 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Evert wrote:

Phil: This is slightly OT and probably a noob question, but would you say that running a newer AGP card (say a GeForce FX) and a PCI Voodoo 3 (Voodoo 3 2000 I think) could be good for a Windows 9x rig? Can you easily switch between the two displays?

That should work perfectly fine. The Voodoo for glide games and the FX for OpenGL / Direct 3D. You would have to use a monitor switch box or a monitor with two inputs like an LCD and use DVI to the FX and VGA to the Voodoo 3.

Reply 79 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Produced 3 videos showing you how to burn installation / play CDs from GOG.com DOSBox games. There are three main types of situations you encounter:

- Plain ISO image
- Plain BIN / CUE image
- DOSBox supported BIN / CUE image with compressed audio CD tracks as WAV or OGG files

The first two are really easy to deal with, it's the last one that's a bit more work 😀

Note that not all games give you a full installation CD. Many require you to burn the CD but also copy the game folder onto your DOS Retro Gaming PC. Screamer is an example. One game stands out, Battle Isle 2, which does give you a full installation CD but in the game you will encounter a copy protection (unbeatable computer opponent). The files in the game folder have some patch / hack applied so you need to copy them over.

But these are really game specific situations, the main steps are as above.

Create Installation CD from GOG.com DOSBox Games with ISO image

Create Installation CD from GOG.com DOSBox Games with Bin / CUE image

Create Installation CD from GOG.com DOSBox Games with Bin / CUE image and MP3 or OGG