Reply 40 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Skyscraper wrote:

I picked up the 3D Realms Anthology.
I already have some of the games but the price was fair 😀

Agreed, great price! I have a few of these games already through Steam and GOG but many I didn't have. I haven't gotten around to copying them onto my Retro DOS Gaming PC but will do so soon. I will look for things such as SETUP and INSTALL being present to change sound cards and all of that.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 41 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some new videos!

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis GOG.com Mini Review: http://youtu.be/RyJ1qmGkBVE

In this Mini Review we are looking at the GOG.com version of Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

Installation (0:54)
Running the game (1:07)
ScummVM versions (1:51)
Configuring ScummVM graphics and Roland MT-32 (2:27)
Summary and recommendation (3:08)

Cheap Fan Controller review: http://youtu.be/-8uttlI1bgc

In this video I am reviewing a cheap fan controller from eBay. It costs just US $1.99 including shipping!

Unattended Windows 98 Installation Answer File: http://youtu.be/BfWw8ALGCQ0

In this video I will show you how to create an answer file to perform a very fast unattended installation of Windows 98. Using this method you can install Windows 98 on a fast Pentium III in around only 8 minutes.

Reply 42 of 781, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The "fan not working" alarm support of the fan controller is the fact that it still sends the rpm signal from the fan to the motherboard header.
If the motherboard has an alarm it still works with the fan controller 😀

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 43 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The PC version of Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow is based on the original XBox version. It uses a technology called shadow buffers which only GeForce 3, 4 and FX cards support.

On newer cards the game does not correctly display lights and shadows.

In this video I am showing the visual differences using around 50 scenes from the first few levels of the game.

Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow Lights and Shadows

Reply 44 of 781, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very nice.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 45 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Skyscraper wrote:

Very nice.

Thanks!

I'm actually really enjoying this game. It has great levels and plays somewhat better than the first Splinter Cell. More variety and less "frustrating" parts.

Reply 46 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Matrox Roundup G200, G400, G400 MAX, G450 and G550

In this project I am comparing popular AGP Matrox graphics cards with each other. Featured are the following cards:

G200
G400
G400 MAX
G450

Reply 47 of 781, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:
The PC version of Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow is based on the original XBox version. It uses a technology called shadow buffe […]
Show full quote

The PC version of Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow is based on the original XBox version. It uses a technology called shadow buffers which only GeForce 3, 4 and FX cards support.

On newer cards the game does not correctly display lights and shadows.

In this video I am showing the visual differences using around 50 scenes from the first few levels of the game.

Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow Lights and Shadows

Another good show on the Splinter Cell shadow issues Phil, really makes me sad that Ubisoft never bothered to fix this or even NVIDIA with their drivers. Not sure how complex it would be, but I am fairly certain this feature could be replicated on modern cards through drivers.

Reply 48 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SpooferJahk wrote:

Another good show on the Splinter Cell shadow issues Phil, really makes me sad that Ubisoft never bothered to fix this or even NVIDIA with their drivers. Not sure how complex it would be, but I am fairly certain this feature could be replicated on modern cards through drivers.

Thanks 😀

I made some new findings yesterday. A fellow YouTube member has tried the game on a Radeon X1400 (notebook) and it worked correctly, he captured it as well.

So I tried a few cards and I was surprised, a lot of them worked!

The fastest card I got it working on is the 7800GTX with an older driver. I have it written down at home and might make another video about it. The Radeon 9800XXL turned out to be not much faster than the FX5950 Ultra.

The 6600GT also works but is also not much faster. The 7800GTX does up to 70 fps at 1600 x 1200 so based on my current findings this could be the "ultimate" Pandora Tomorrow graphics card.

I tried the 8800GT as well but even with an old driver it has severe issues.

Reply 50 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Started a new project called Let's Play Period Correct 😀

With Period Correct being somewhat flexible but the idea is to run the game on hardware that is fully compatible. Also 4:3 aspect ratio and all of that.

My first video of this type:

Let's Play Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow Period Correct - Dili East Timor - Part 1

Reply 52 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Let's Play Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow Period Correct - Paris to Nice France - Part 3

Reply 53 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Requests for help with installing Plug and Play Sound Blaster cards in DOS keep popping up on Vogons so I decided to make a new video explaining the steps.

The first one is exclusivity for MS-DOS 6.22 or older. It is NOT for MS-DOS mode of Windows 95 or 98. I am planning to cover MS-DOS mode in an upcoming video.

How to install ISA Plug and Play Sound Blaster in DOS

Reply 54 of 781, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:

Requests for help with installing Plug and Play Sound Blaster cards in DOS keep popping up on Vogons so I decided to make a new video explaining the steps.

Very nice! I like how you managed to keep things concise considering the complexity of the subject. Everyone unsure about PnP Soundblasters should watch this, it's half an hour well spent!

Reply 55 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
5u3 wrote:

Very nice! I like how you managed to keep things concise considering the complexity of the subject. Everyone unsure about PnP Soundblasters should watch this, it's half an hour well spent!

Thank you for the kind words, means a lot! 😊

Still mapping out the Video for MS-DOS mode. The thing is that they will likely also struggle to get memory, mouse and CD-ROM drive going as well so this might be a bigger project than I first anticipated.

Reply 56 of 781, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:

Still mapping out the Video for MS-DOS mode. The thing is that they will likely also struggle to get memory, mouse and CD-ROM drive going as well so this might be a bigger project than I first anticipated.

Don't worry about memory/mouse/CD/other stuff, that could be figured out in other videos...

I think there are enough people interested in how to properly install a PnP SB16/AWE in Win9x, because often read statements like "Stay away from the PnP cards, they mean trouble".
Try to cover basic but important things like how to configure Win9x and its DOS mode to use the resources you want for your games.

It would probably help a lot with troubleshooting in the forums if people could watch how it's supposed to work.

Reply 57 of 781, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:

It might be a good idea to keep any discussion of "software configurable" cards (that initialize with DIAGNOSE.EXE) separate from that of the actual Plug and Play cards.

Also (and this seems to be another completely misunderstood subject), unless you're using the SB16 for recording, the "Input" section of the graphical mixer can be completely cleared. "Input," in this case, actually refers to the recording bus input sources.

Reply 58 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I actually did a search on this site and semi-PnP has been used many times, compared to "software configurable", so I will continue using it 😀 I think I made it clear that there are two types of card and I covered both of them. This guide is aimed at beginners who just want to get their cards going and I believe the video will help out.

I only briefly touched on the mixer without going into too much detail. This wasn't an in-depth Sound Blaster review just a brief tutorial with the goal of being up and running ASAP and help out the many users who struggle getting their Sound Blaster going. When people have more specific questions they can just ask.

Reply 59 of 781, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, the Vogons forum seems to be home to a number of completely fictitious terms, but whatever; it's your video. 😀

Limited detail or not, what you mention about the input mixer section is incorrect. Don't take it as hard criticism though, but rather, as new information to consider, and perhaps something to mention in a later video, as it's probably a point of confusion with a lot of folks.