VOGONS

Reply 460 of 781, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

This is next to impossible, as the PCI board has a different chipset, so it's hard to isolate just VLB vs PCI. I do have one Acer OEM board that has both, but I don't have a single card in both types 😀

The ET4000 would be great to compare ISA vs VLB vs PCI, but prices are out of control it seems.

Hold onto that Acer, in case you do get some more graphic cards 😀

Here's how I would approach it if you were attempting to compare PCI and VLB with two different boards: test the same ISA cards on both and if they are within 1% of each other on the ISA bus, then I would consider it a safe comparison. Just apply whatever difference there is on the ISA tests as a factor on VLB/PCI results.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 461 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh yes, I'm holding on to that Acer. A shame I got rid of the case, but I didn't have the space back then...

Another day, another video!

Cool MIDI Gear from Serdaco

DOS gaming is even better when you have a General MIDI wavetable board! […]
Show full quote

DOS gaming is even better when you have a General MIDI wavetable board!

Finding one these days can be tricky, the good stuff from Roland and Yamaha are not easy to find or cheap. Computer recyclers and retro parts re-sellers take advantage of the low supply / high demand situation and ask for ridiculous prices.

I always support people that create new products for us retro enthusiasts, and Serdaco is one of them. They make brand new General MIDI wavetable boards, but also other MIDI related gadgets that are really cool.

In this video we take a look at the S1 and X1 DreamBlaster, as well as the DreamFace, the Chill and Phil adapter and the Chill wavetable MIDI adapter.

All of these products are affordable and improve the music from General MIDI supporting DOS games!

Enjoy this video!

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 462 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A bunch of new videos:

Intel DX4 and Pentium Overdrive

Keropi's MPU 401 MIDI Interface Review

Building the 486 DX2 66 Retro Sleeper

I've also started a little blog on my website. That let's me push out little updates: http://www.philscomputerlab.com/blog

If you follow me on Facebook and Twitter you will get notifications 😀

Reply 463 of 781, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most excellent!

Reply 464 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm going back to 2005 and checking out some hardware I would have loved to have back in the day, but was too much of a tight arse 😊

7800 GTX SLI: First Time

Reply 466 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
agent_x007 wrote:

Shame that FX board didn't worked...
Still, more Pentium Extreme please : LINK 😉
I checked, and your MB supports them : LINK

The P4 vs Athlon 64 series will continue soon enough 😀

Reply 468 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
James-F wrote:

Phil, the new benchmark menu freezes the computer when the arrow keys are pressed, can you check this out?

I get letters when I press the arrow keys. Like K when I press left. Could just be the choice command, not sure.

Reply 470 of 781, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
A bunch of new videos: […]
Show full quote

A bunch of new videos:

Intel DX4 and Pentium Overdrive

Keropi's MPU 401 MIDI Interface Review

Building the 486 DX2 66 Retro Sleeper

I've also started a little blog on my website. That let's me push out little updates: http://www.philscomputerlab.com/blog

If you follow me on Facebook and Twitter you will get notifications 😀

I enjoyed watching your review of Keropi's MPU 401 card as it featured a lot of games I didn't know about. Some soundtracks are really nice and I just wish you'd let us hear them for a tiny bit longer 😀

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 471 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
James-F wrote:

Try Right Arrow.

M which will run of the UniVBE tools. Sure it crashes? It might take a while to search for supported cards. Or UniVBE just crashes on your machine.

MMaximus wrote:

I enjoyed watching your review of Keropi's MPU 401 card as it featured a lot of games I didn't know about. Some soundtracks are really nice and I just wish you'd let us hear them for a tiny bit longer 😀

Well, buy a card and listen to it 24/7 😀

Reply 472 of 781, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, UniVBE takes around 10 seconds with the TNT2 M64 and reports "no SVGA support".
10 seconds is beyond my patience... reset. 😁
Everything OK then, thanks for checking.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 474 of 781, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great episode.
But Prescott (PGA 478/LGA 775) 3,4GHz, doesn't stand a chance against Atlon FX-55 (130nm) on S939 😀
Hopefully, we won't need to wait half a year for the next episode...

157143230295.png

Reply 475 of 781, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I agree. Can't wait to see the destruction when you test an Athlon64 with dual channel IMC.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 476 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea time is an issue guys. But I hear you. There is a lot of planning I still need to do, but I have some ideas.

Another video!

New benchmarks? What do you think?

Reply 477 of 781, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey Phil, unless I'm mistaken I am sure You had a video up with benchmarks on a write-back cache Intel dx2-66 cpu? I can't find it anymore.

As far as the new benchmarks are concerned, I reckon it's a great idea. Watching the same old benchmarks all the time does
get a bit old after a while. Only suggestion would be to use the same soundcard so as to not introduce too many variables.
I'm not too keen on stretched videos as far as aspect ratio is concerned, not that its' a really big deal though.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 478 of 781, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Yea time is an issue guys. But I hear you. There is a lot of planning I still need to do, but I have some ideas.

Another video!

New benchmarks? What do you think?

Great additions to your benchmarking arsenal. You touched on it at the end, but I'm sure there will be a segment of viewers that might appreciate more expansion on "lowering the settings will make this game play better". Have you considered finding a good combination of settings for games that are too demanding to run at 1920x1080 with AA and AF turned on? You wouldn't necessarily have to run a full benchmark suite, but maybe a quick comment such as "I found the game to be very playable at *this* resolution, with AA/AF enable/disabled."

Well done, and cheers!

Reply 479 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nope, haven't done anything with WB cache yet 😀

No stretching, these games support 16:9, but games that don't, or are too hard to setup, I will capture in 4:3.

That's the thing, you can pack more and more into a video, but you got to stop at some point and you also got to have a focus. Mine is running games optimally and giving a brief idea of what games run well and which ones don't.

The other thing is that this is just a single video. So one piece of the puzzle. I make lots of videos and you got to watch them all to get the entire picture 🤣

So while you might want this extra stuff in this video, my brain goes "hey that's a great idea for another video". That way you can produce regular videos, but nothing really gets cancelled. Just gets covered another time 😀