VOGONS

Reply 680 of 781, by ishadow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Geforce 4 MX was heavily criticized when it came out, but it wasn't a bad card. It got decent performance that allowed for 30-60 fps in new games at 1024x768 or even 1280x1024, but it lacked shaders, so you couldn't turn on every detail.
I had GF 2 GTS Pro back then and I could use this card for at least 2 more years thanks to GF 4 MX. Game developers had to make their games work on legacy fixed pipeline. The best example is Prince of Persia: Warrior Within, that had lower requirements than "Sands of Time". The latter required shader 1.1 but it's sequel worked fine on GF 4 MX and GF 2.

Geforce 4 MX came in a few variants. The slowest one was between GF 2 MX and GF 2 GTS, the fastest one was probably a bit better than GF 2 Ultra. It's really hard to compare those cards, since GF 4 MX used newer architecture with some improvements and in the same time it's bottlenecked with lower fill rates and halved ROPs.

Geforce 2 and also 4 MX had something called "Nvidia Shading Rasterizer". It was basically a primitive implementation of Pixel shader. Unfortunately no game used it, but as seen on Nvidia tech demos it was capable of doing per-pixel lightning, bumpmaps, shadow maps etc.

First Xbox got Geforce 3 with 1.1 shaders and games quickly adopted that. Wide compatibility with Radeons and other cards made all older per-pixel implementation obsolete. Voodoo 5 suffered the most. That card never got hardware T&L so in 2001 it couldn't even run new games, and it's per-pixel functions never had a chance to be implemented.

Doom 3 is the special case. This game is probably the most impressive title you can run on fixed pipeline hardware. There's no other game that on Geforce 2 or 4 MX has dynamic shadows, specular and bump-maps on every object.

Reply 681 of 781, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Lack of pixel shaders in a video card released in 2001 was criminal the mx440 singlehandedly held back game innovation by around 2 years.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 682 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Intel Celeron 433: https://youtu.be/wWeSEYCKKgI

Quite interesting as it is the fastest Slot 1 Celeron, as well as the fastest 66 MHz FSB Slot 1 processor.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 683 of 781, by maverick85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi phil. how do i create an image of the sd card with win98 installed on it as a backup. i get invalid system disk when i try copy pasting all files from my modern pc back into the formatted sd card. i've also ran the command fdisk/mbr on the formatted card to see if that was the issue. my new motherboard did come with the symantec suite such as norton ghost but on opening the card wallet containing the cd, it had a crack in it.
TL;DR: how do i clone the sd card with win98 OS back onto it

ASRock 98
Win98SE Desktop
ASRock
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz
1 x 512MB 667 MHz DDR2
Soundblaster SB0100 + Altec Lansing ADA885
ATi Radeon X800XT 256MB GDDR3
1 x SATA 120GB HDD
1 x SATA DVD-RW

Reply 686 of 781, by maverick85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I use a SD card reader and Paragon Backup and Recovery (free).

thanks phil, i'll try it out. could you do a vid on this as it would be insightful for people looking to save time on formatting and going through setup etc for sd cards.

ASRock 98
Win98SE Desktop
ASRock
1 x 512MB 667 MHz DDR2
1 x SATA 120GB HDD
1 x SATA DVD-RW

Reply 687 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've covered this in the SD video (Installing Windows 98 on SD card), and really it is exactly the same as with any regular hard drive. If you have any specific issues it might be worth opening a thread as there might be more to it than just partitioning and formatting.

Reply 688 of 781, by maverick85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I use a SD card reader and Paragon Backup and Recovery (free).

Wow, thanks! works a charm and was blazingly fast process. i have a matrox card and want to swap and change things in the system. this will definitely save a lot of time and hassle getting it back to vanilla environment 😉

ASRock 98
Win98SE Desktop
ASRock
1 x 512MB 667 MHz DDR2
1 x SATA 120GB HDD
1 x SATA DVD-RW

Reply 689 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice 😀

Yes I use that program all the time. Not only with SD cards, but I also have IDE to USB, and SATA to USB adapters. Well the IDE adapter is brand new, only got it yesterday. It will get reviewed soon.

Reply 690 of 781, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ishadow wrote:

it was capable of doing per-pixel lightning

Via DOT3-bumpmapping, which is used in Doom 3. DOT3 was also used in some DX7 games like Evolva and Giants.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 691 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

$5 GPU cooler from eBay / Purple Asus GeForce4 Ti 4400 gets a new cooler: https://youtu.be/bs7Dr3en3zU

Reply 692 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Reviewing an IDE / SATA to USB 3.0 Adapter. The USB 3.0 is nice, you can use basically any IDE or SATA HDD, SSD and optical drives. But the unit isn't perfect and I tested all the claims on the box and put the unit through its paces!

https://youtu.be/32GLFvd0IA4

1460112088901837851.jpg

Reply 693 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Building my new PC for GPU benchmarks and testing

https://youtu.be/DxUL3G-yK_E

Attachments

• DSC_9708.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_9708.JPG
    File size
    9.38 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 695 of 781, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
agent_x007 wrote:

Why Single Core ?
Athlon64 x2 4800+ FTW 😀

or go Opteron xD

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 697 of 781, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mrau wrote:
Carlos S. M. wrote:
agent_x007 wrote:

Why Single Core ?
Athlon64 x2 4800+ FTW 😀

or go Opteron xD

whats decent workstation mobo for an opteron?

Socket 939/AM2 Opterons works with desktop mobos and desktop RAM

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 699 of 781, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Opterons are simply easier to get these days 😀
Also they may clock higher because of better silicone used in them.
PS. Opteron 185 vs. Athlon 64 FX-60.
In case of Opteron, you lose unlocked multi.

157143230295.png