VOGONS

Reply 421 of 781, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In your Super Socket 7 Video Part I you mentioned that AMD stopped at 550 MHz for Super Socket 7.
AMD actually stopped at 570 MHz with http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K6-2/AMD-Mobile … %2B-570ACZ.html

Some constructive criticism for your Part II: In the different graphs the color coding for the cards change, so e.g. sometimes the Quadro 2 Pro has a blue bar and sometimes dark green and so on. I found this a bit distracting.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 422 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes I forgot about that processor. I'll have a look with the colours, this should happen automatically, maybe the columns got mangled up.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 423 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In this video I am playing a bit of Shogo Mobile Armor Devision on a Nvidia Riva TNT2 Pro on a Super Socket 7 machine:

https://youtu.be/7E6Z9KTUYx4

The game runs really well, a great game for a Super Socket machine. I never played this before, so I didn't know what the game is like, but it is actually really good, funny dialogues and fun gameplay 😀

It's the GOG version if anyone is wondering, just unpack the installer and launch from a directory.

Reply 424 of 781, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting thing about 3DMark 99 Max and 3DMark 2000 is that they like fast platforms.
The least platform/CPU dependent is "Rasteriser score" from 3DMark 99 Max (it uses Fillrate results).

Using 4GHz PCD 45nm (talk about overkill for GF3 and older GPU's...), I didn't experienced performance drops because of the driver (and I used v61.77 for TNT2 @ Ultra, v71.89 for GF 2 Ti @ Ultra, and v93.71 for GF 3 Ti). I tested on WinXP SP3, so maybe it has something to do with it (?).
Other option is that newer drivers may be optimised for newer platforms and CPU's that have SSE and newer instruction sets.

Attachments (3DMark 99 Max scores) :
1-st = GF3 Ti 200 @ 500,
2-nd = GF2 Ti @ Ultra,
3-rd = Riva TNT2 @ Ulta.

Quick comparison :
Riva TNT2 @ Ultra with PDC 4GHz score is over 2x higher than GF2 Ti/Quadro2 Pro with SS7.

Attachments

157143230295.png

Reply 426 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Half-Life on 3dfx Voodoo Banshee on a Super Socket 7 retro gaming PC

DFI SS7 motherboard, K6-III+ 550 MHz, 128 MB RAM, ELSA Victory II 3dfx Voodoo Banshee and a Aureal Vortex 2 sound card.

Listen to this video with headphones for that awesome A3D 3D sound over headphones experience. I recorded the audio via optical cable, thanks to ZanQuance, he wrote me a fix to get this going.

Reply 427 of 781, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No problem 😉
Such a fun video, I love HL1 and Unreal. They were really a staple of my 20's and will always hold a special place with me, especially Aureal audio.
So these videos make me all warm and fuzzy inside 😀 or perhaps that's just my morning Coffee.

Did you mention you're working on a video to go with the SS7 sound benchmarks?

Reply 428 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes it should be done soon! The hard part was doing all the benchmarks. That was sooo much work 😵

Reply 429 of 781, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Great game, I need to replay it! Thanks for the video!

@34min, I think it's funny how the monster can tear that metal door apart, but your crowbar can't. Yet the crowbar easily kills the monster. 😉

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 430 of 781, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
clueless1 wrote:

Great game, I need to replay it! Thanks for the video!

@34min, I think it's funny how the monster can tear that metal door apart, but your crowbar can't. Yet the crowbar easily kills the monster. 😉

The door was structurally weakened from the crowbar hits 😉

Reply 433 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
agent_x007 wrote:

Sidenote - Audigy 2 ZS uses same DAC as X-Fi Xtreme Music : LINK

Nice.

Reply 434 of 781, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

After seeing the live/audigy part of the video I want to upgrade my p4/98SE build from a Live! to Augigy2 (only have the non-ZS version) ... seems the reasonable thing to do 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 435 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

After seeing the live/audigy part of the video I want to upgrade my p4/98SE build from a Live! to Augigy2 (only have the non-ZS version) ... seems the reasonable thing to do 😁

Please do, I'd love to hear what you think 😀

Reply 436 of 781, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did Quake3 allow A3D to be enabled on the Audigy2-ZS? And that's why I hear positional audio? (no reflections of course)
AFAIK Quake3 didn't have any DS3D support so it was A3D or nothing at the time.

Reply 437 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ZanQuance wrote:

Did Quake3 allow A3D to be enabled on the Audigy2-ZS? And that's why I hear positional audio? (no reflections of course)
AFAIK Quake3 didn't have any DS3D support so it was A3D or nothing at the time.

Yes, and it was enabled 😀

But in terms of "audio wall hack", the Vortex 2 is in its own league 😁

Reply 438 of 781, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Phil, what's your perspective on 44.1k to 48k resampling quality for the PCI cards?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 439 of 781, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:

Phil, what's your perspective on 44.1k to 48k resampling quality for the PCI cards?

Go into Multimedia options in control panel and move the slider to maximum re-sampling quality.