X-Wing/TIE Fighter re-release

Topic actions

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://kotaku.com/x-wing-tie-fighter-are-fina … dium=Socialflow

Special downloadable versions of both X-Wing and Tie Fighter will soon be released on Good Old Games. They'll be $10 each.

For that price you're getting not just the special editions of the games (which had slightly higher resolutions and improved sound, as well all of both games' expansions), but more importantly they'll be editions of the games that will run on a modern PC without the need to tinker.

The Special Edition offered here, includes Star Wars™: TIE Fighter and Star Wars™: TIE Fighter - Defender of the Empire, both in the 1994 and 1998 versions!
The Special Edition offered here, includes Star Wars: X-Wing Collector's CD-ROM and both Tour of Duty expansions: Imperial Pursuit and B-Wing.

Reply 1 of 45, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That sounds like they may have gotten the "Collector's Series" versions for 95 with D3D working..... That would be the 1998 version.

BTW the DOS X-Wing Collector's Edition is still 320x200 but it runs the TIE Fighter floppy-version game engine and so has Gouraud shading instead of the original flat shading. It also has more flexible sound card options than the original release. And lots more voice.

Reply 4 of 45, by Davis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Amazing news! I can't wait enough to give them my money right away. There's a countdown on GOG currently at T-8 hrs.

I hope it's the imuse versions in all their glory though. The crappy redbook audio on the later version is a major deal breaker.

Reply 5 of 45, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Luke Plunkett @ Kotaku wrote:

For that price you're getting not just the special editions of the games (which had slightly higher resolutions and improved sound, as well all of both games' expansions), but more importantly they'll be editions of the games that will run on a modern PC without the need to tinker

A note on these "Special Editions": Luke Plunkett is only about 50% correct. While 1998 (Collector Series) versions of both X-Wing and TIE Fighter had superior graphics (including hardware acceleration), they did not have superior sound. Some of the cutscenes are also inferior because they are stretched to fit more modern displays. See this older thread for more details.

The older 1994 (Collector's CD) versions sported inferior graphics, but much better midi music.

This website detailed more clearly what the differences were:
http://tempestkappa.isdchallenge.org/tf_versions.htm

Those 1998 versions (Collector Series) of the game used a poorly recorded redbook version of the original iMuse midi sountrack. The older iMuse soundtrack was cool because it changed depending on the situation you currently found yourself in during the game. It really added to the mood and atmosphere of the games.

It looks like both the 1994 and 1998 versions of TIE Fighter will be available with the GOG release, but only the 1998 version of X-Wing. I tried to view the info on GOG directly, but both of the linked pages in the Kotaku article are currently dead and unavailable.

I think that for many folks, any version that will run is good news. However, for the majority of folks here who run Win9x machines already, the old 1994 versions are superior and more desirable. Even without a Win9x machine, you could always run the 1994 (Collector's CD) versions in DOSBox.

For the past two months, I've been slowly working my way through X-Wing on my 1Ghz Coppermine with a Voodoo 3 and SB Live sound card. I have both the Collector Series versions and the Collector's CD versions of both games. I have both installed so that others can enjoy the prettier graphics of the 1998 versions while I've been playing with the 1994 versions of the games. I just like the music much better. While the graphics aren't as good as the 1998 versions, the games are just so damn immersive that I don't even notice the crappy picture.

I don't remember X-Wing being as difficult as it currently is for me. I'm currently stuck on TOD 2 Mission 1. By the time I'm done with X-Wing, I'll probably need a new joystick so I can play TIE Fighter. These games really put a ton of wear and tear on your hardware.

Reply 6 of 45, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After reading this thread I decided to have a look on eBay and found this bundle which I've purchased.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221367456075?ssPag … 984.m1439.l2649

Looking at the discs which appear to have all come from the old lucasarts volume collections, are Tie Fighter and X-Wing the 1994 versions?

Reply 7 of 45, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

http://tempestkappa.isdchallenge.org/tf_versions.htm

That site really blasts LucasArts for the sound quality of the in-game music. I checked the CD and discovered that LucasArts recorded the in-game music (presumably from the DOS Collector's CD-ROM) at 8-bit mono @ 11kHz! For a Windows 95 game, this is simply unacceptable. There are CD-Audio tracks played back at certain points and taken from recordings of the London Symphony Orchestra, and the difference could not be greater. Even an average General MIDI sound card would have sounded better.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 9 of 45, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Davis wrote:

Great haul, borgie83! I would have taken those myself anytime. Those are indeed the best "Collector's editions" of both XW and TF!

Woot woot! 😁 was hoping someone was going to say that! Got pretty excited when I saw the bundle for that price. Thanks!

Reply 10 of 45, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
borgie83 wrote:

Looking at the discs which appear to have all come from the old lucasarts volume collections, are Tie Fighter and X-Wing the 1994 versions?

Those are the 1994 versions of X-Wing and TIE Fighter. The 1998 versions clearly have "Collector Series" written on the discs rather than "Collector's CD-ROM".

IMO, you got the better version. Nice find! You should have no problems running them on any Win9x system.

The GOG websites are now online for both X-Wing and TIE Fighter. Both 1994 and 1998 versions are included for both games. Check out the system requirements:

GOG.com wrote:

Windows XP/Vista/7/8, 1.8 GHz Processor, 1 GB RAM, 3D graphics card compatible with DirectX 7 (compatible with DirectX 9 recommended), Mouse, Keyboard, Controller/Joystick (only the 1998 version)

What on earth have they done to have such high requirements? My old Pentium 200 with a Voodoo 1 still runs the 1998 versions flawlessly. I can't imagine that they've improved the graphics at all...

Reply 11 of 45, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I found this one and grabbed it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221560951770?ru=http% … 1770%26_rdc%3D1

The high system requirements on GOG probably reflect the requirements of whatever emulator they are using to make the games run at full speed.

Reply 12 of 45, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

the high requirements of classic rereleases are more likely for providing technical support than actually requiring. A Pentium III is competent enough to emulate the games through DOSBox

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 13 of 45, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They released a bunch of other games. Fate of Atlantis, Monkey Island SE, Sam & Max Hit the Road, Star Wars: Knight of The Old Republic.

I don't think the adventure games come with DOSBox, so not for me 🙁

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 15 of 45, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Shut up and take my money!..🤣

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 17 of 45, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KT7AGuy wrote:
GOG.com wrote:

Windows XP/Vista/7/8, 1.8 GHz Processor, 1 GB RAM, 3D graphics card compatible with DirectX 7 (compatible with DirectX 9 recommended), Mouse, Keyboard, Controller/Joystick (only the 1998 version)

What on earth have they done to have such high requirements? My old Pentium 200 with a Voodoo 1 still runs the 1998 versions flawlessly. I can't imagine that they've improved the graphics at all...

Most games on GOG have the same or similar requirements. Given how specific the CPU speed is, I imagine it's the minimum system specs they can test on and thus the minimum they can recommend.

But yeah, with most games (save for 3D stuff), DOSBox on an older P3 with a fraction of the RAM will do the same job.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 19 of 45, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

I found this one and grabbed it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221560951770?ru=http% … 1770%26_rdc%3D1

The high system requirements on GOG probably reflect the requirements of whatever emulator they are using to make the games run at full speed.

Wow! Well done Sliderider. That's an even better deal than mine. Would've grabbed it in a heartbeat if I saw it.