VOGONS

X-Wing/TIE Fighter re-release

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 45, by Davis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Was looking at that one too... Not to ruin the fun, but the problem with those LA Archives is that it is only a 3-mission sampler for Dark Forces for some reason and not the full game. Shame, really.

Reply 21 of 45, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

If they're selling the 1998 versions, aren't those Windows 95 games? How are they running those? DOS Box can't run Windows 95 games without a Windows 95 install.

Probably the same way they've done their other releases. Either looking at how the community does it and putting it in their gogwrapper or using the community patches or both.

I haven't followed the SW games very closely (except for the ones on my list) but I doubt GOG have done anything to fix the games that hasn't already been done before. (Unless converting from CD to OGG is considered a "fix")

IIRC the games aren't 16bit so 32bit Windows isn't required. (Although the installers probly are which is an easy fix)

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 23 of 45, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Danfun64 wrote:

I'm curious.

Does the Windows version have in game music or not? It isn't unknown for digital rereleases of games that used cd audio to lack the cd audio tracks.

It does, but it's wav files played back at the lowest possible bit rate. It sounds like crap.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 24 of 45, by Danfun64

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For those reading who are not aware, the cutscenes of the windows version are .wav recorded from an mt-32, while the in game music is an abridged version of the in game music of x-wing vs tie fighter.

So basically the in game music sounds even worse than it did in the original xwing95 version?

Reply 25 of 45, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This sparked my interest to have another look at the Windows 95 TIE Fighter, the original one from the "X-Wing Collector Series".
I remember having trouble with this version, and again it won't work well in XP: cannot enter a mission with hardware 3D checked. Crashes further in a mission when in software mode.
This despite the XWTIE95.exe windows 2000/XP compatibility patch (by Cwagle The Jedi)
TIE95.EXE, size 1071616 bytes, dated 22 may 1998.
What does GoG release have, to prevent such problems?

Normally I play the DOS collectors version in 640x480 video mode.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 27 of 45, by truth_deleted

User metadata

Excerpts from a review by sirfulcrum:

Title: Not the definitive edition
...how you do not include the definitive 1995 CD-ROM Collector's Edition version is a travesty. Ask anyone who played all 3 versions (1994 floppy, 1995 CD-ROM, and 1998 Windows), and the 1995 CD-ROM edition quadruples the resolution from the original release (320x240 to 640x480), retains the wonderful iMuse soundtrack that provides much of the game's soul, and adds voice briefings and in-mission voice, as well as the Enemy of the Empires campaign.

And by Loener:

Title: 1998 YEAH, 1994 yeah
I've only just tried out both the 1994 and the 1998 versions included in this game...

Reply 28 of 45, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Shouldn't this thread be under release announcement?

GOG.com have a habit of picking non optimal versions of games. Such a shame. It's not like they don't have a large enough community that they can turn to for advice.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 29 of 45, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm, so no DOS collectors edition in the GoG release. Lame...

Another pro for the collectors edition is that it is a DOS4GW game, whereas the Floppy edition requires EMS memory.

philscomputerlab wrote:

GOG.com have a habit of picking non optimal versions of games. Such a shame. It's not like they don't have a large enough community that they can turn to for advice.

Maybe they need a No-CD patch for the DOS collectors edition to pack it properly? There is no No-CD patch on the net, except the one I made for my personal use 😁 ( Link). Nah, Dosbox should handle the CD check fine.

Reply 30 of 45, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
philscomputerlab wrote:

Shouldn't this thread be under release announcement?

Seems like this may actually be Disney's fault:

http://mixnmojo.com/news/Disney-has-GOG-on-very-tight-leash

Edit: Mixnmojo seems to be down at the moment.

EdEdit: From Google cache:

It would be fair to say that TIE Fighter is the most widely beloved of the six excellent LucasArts games that GOG released yeste […]
Show full quote

It would be fair to say that TIE Fighter is the most widely beloved of the six excellent LucasArts games that GOG released yesterday, but many of those fans were disappointed when they discovered that the version being sold was not the version they were expecting.

Widely considered to be the definitive edition due to its enhanced graphics, cutscene voiceovers and extra expansions, the version released as the Collector's CD-ROM is the one most people remember, yet it's not being offered by GOG. Some assumed it was an oversight, but here was GOG's response:

"Hello, I am afraid that we were able to release only those versions with the bonus content that are currently available. We might get the rights to release more in the future, but I am unable to predict or promise anything.

That Disney is being so rigid in the way it licenses these games is disappointing - TIE Fighter is not the only LEC title with multiple versions. I found out that GOG is even restricted when it comes to documentation-related extras. When I inquired about why Fate of Atlantis and Sam & Max come with their hint books but not Monkey Island, I received an identical response.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 33 of 45, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Indeed, I was searching for the install size, but GoG does not show it. 😜 Normally it is shown.

SquallStrife wrote:

GOG's response:
"Hello, I am afraid that we were able to release only those versions with the bonus content that are currently available. We might get the rights to release more in the future, but I am unable to predict or promise anything.

It does not say if they really attempted to release more, then what is currently offered.

Apart from this collectors edition disappointment, I do appreciate GoG for what it offers in general. Especially their DRM-free policy, combined with a paypal option for those without creditcard.

Reply 34 of 45, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote:

This sparked my interest to have another look at the Windows 95 TIE Fighter, the original one from the "X-Wing Collector Series".
I remember having trouble with this version, and again it won't work well in XP: cannot enter a mission with hardware 3D checked. Crashes further in a mission when in software mode.
This despite the XWTIE95.exe windows 2000/XP compatibility patch (by Cwagle The Jedi)

Okay, TIE 95 as installed from the CD works well now in hardware mode. This was required:
xwtie95v2.zip - Contains Windows compatibility file xwtie95v2.sdb.
XWA hacker - To fix graphic corruption, on Radeon cards at least. Using tie95fixedclear.bat.

Was playing TIE interceptor mission 2, where a Millennium Falcon like craft is making a rapid escape from the space platform.
In DOS TIE Fighter it is tricky to intercept and destroy it. In TIE 95 it may just be impossible. The hitbox of the craft is much smaller and half the laser blasts will miss regardless of aim! I guess this goes for all craft. The hitbox accuracy is not bad on itself, but the missions are conversions that were designed around the old style hitboxes.

Again I should just stick to the DOS 1995 edition, and if that won't do; just go all the way forward to X-Wing Alliance (1999).

Edit: Corrillian transport, TIE fighter = small hitbox // X-Wing, A-Wing = enlarged hitbox...

Reply 35 of 45, by Tarvis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A little off topic, but the definitive version of X-Wing is actually the Mac version. It has 640x480 software rendered graphics just like TIE's DOS CD version, but retains the iMuse music and colored polygon look.

It's a shame it can't be emulated at full speed.

I've often wondered if it was possible to make an X-Wing TC for TIE Fighter DOS CD version so it could have the benefits of SVGA and "Match Speed" command and such.

Reply 37 of 45, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Davis wrote:

Was looking at that one too... Not to ruin the fun, but the problem with those LA Archives is that it is only a 3-mission sampler for Dark Forces for some reason and not the full game. Shame, really.

The first one (technically, Lucasarts Archives Volume II) has the 3 level sampler, the second one (technically, Lucasarts Archives Volume IV) has the full game. At the time that the first one was released, Dark Forces was still a new game so they weren't going to release a full version in a bundle pack when they can sell it by itself for full price. The sampler CD was intended to give players a taste of what to expect and hopefully convince them to go out and buy the full version. By the time the second collection was released, Dark Forces was an older game nearing it's sell by date.

Reply 39 of 45, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tarvis wrote:

A little off topic, but the definitive version of X-Wing is actually the Mac version. It has 640x480 software rendered graphics just like TIE's DOS CD version, but retains the iMuse music and colored polygon look.

It's a shame it can't be emulated at full speed.

I've often wondered if it was possible to make an X-Wing TC for TIE Fighter DOS CD version so it could have the benefits of SVGA and "Match Speed" command and such.

I'm slightly confused. Mobygames says that X-Wing (Collector's CD-ROM) for Mac requires an 68040 and System 7.1. The screenshot says SheepShaver, that's a PowerPC based emulator.
If the Mac version of X-Wing is really 68k it should run faster on a 68k based emulator. Even it is a fat binary the 68k based emulator might still run the game faster.