VOGONS

HiRes/Widescreen Patch for Mech Warrior 3

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 75, by Night Thastus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey there. I've noticed a strange issue, and I'm not sure if it's the high res patch doing it.

Mainly, my arms are very slow to move. Even when I launch MW3 without the launcher that the high-res pack provided. It's still incredibly super slow.

Is that something that this patch did? Or is that something else? Is it fixable?

I remember playing MW3 awhile back and the arms has basically no drag at all. They were instant.

EDIT: I just changed the DPI on my mouse when playing, so it's nothing terrible. Just wondering.

Reply 21 of 75, by iwanPlays

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The problems I encountered so far:

1. OBS can only record the audio of the first game played (probably an OBS/MW3 issue, I'm assuming MW3 restarts the windows audio system each time it starts direct3d or something)
2. Crashing into mechs crashes the game often (however I don't have jumping vehicles)
3. frame rate is very low in some levels (18fps at 1920x1080, d3d mode, grasslands, 2vs2 instant action)

I would like to try using 1440x1080. Should I do the hex-editing method on the 4:3 widescreen patch exe or will this mess things up?

teleguy, do you think there's hope for "fixing" the field of view (FOV) to counteract the squishing/stretching of non-4:3 screen ratios? (EDIT: Hope as in: do you plan to find a solution or is this patch final for now?)

Last edited by iwanPlays on 2016-07-06, 19:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 22 of 75, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
iwanPlays wrote:
The problems I encountered so far: […]
Show full quote

1. OBS can only record the audio of the first game played (probably an OBS/MW3 issue, I'm assuming MW3 restarts the windows audio system each time it starts direct3d or something)
2. Crashing into mechs crashes the game often (however I don't have jumping vehicles)
3. frame rate is very low in some levels (18fps at 1920x1080, d3d mode, grasslands, 2vs2 instant action)

I would like to try using 1440x1080. Should I do the hex-editing method on the 4:3 widescreen patch exe or will this mess things up?

teleguy, do you think there's hope for "fixing" the field of view (FOV) to counteract the squishing/stretching of non-4:3 screen ratios?

1440x1080? Use dgVoodoo2 forcing that resolution.....with STANDARD Mech3 + official patch 😀

It's how I play it.

Reply 23 of 75, by Night Thastus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lowenz wrote:
iwanPlays wrote:
The problems I encountered so far: […]
Show full quote

teleguy, do you think there's hope for "fixing" the field of view (FOV) to counteract the squishing/stretching of non-4:3 screen ratios?

1440x1080? Use dgVoodoo2 forcing that resolution.....with STANDARD Mech3 + official patch 😀

It's how I play it.

Try disabling compatability mode. I was getting *awful* FPS at anything above 480x600, but when I disabled it, DGVoodoo works better and I was up to a solid 60 FPS even at 1920x1080

Reply 25 of 75, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
iwanPlays wrote:

teleguy, do you think there's hope for "fixing" the field of view (FOV) to counteract the squishing/stretching of non-4:3 screen ratios? (EDIT: Hope as in: do you plan to find a solution or is this patch final for now?)

Yes, I'm still looking for a way to adjust the FOV but that will probably have to wait till I have a lot of free time at hand to get more familiar with Assembler code.

Reply 26 of 75, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Night Thastus wrote:
Hey there. I've noticed a strange issue, and I'm not sure if it's the high res patch doing it. […]
Show full quote

Hey there. I've noticed a strange issue, and I'm not sure if it's the high res patch doing it.

Mainly, my arms are very slow to move. Even when I launch MW3 without the launcher that the high-res pack provided. It's still incredibly super slow.

Is that something that this patch did? Or is that something else? Is it fixable?

I remember playing MW3 awhile back and the arms has basically no drag at all. They were instant.

I can't think of a reason why the patch would have an effect on that (other than perhaps reducing performance in general). Can you try with the original Mech3.exe or the 4:3 one?

Reply 28 of 75, by iwanPlays

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

lowenz: thanks! dgVoodoo2 works great! No frame rate problems any more and the forced resolution prevents my super-slow display from switching resolutions all the time (it takes 5-10 seconds)!

What is even cooler, is combining both!
teleguy's patch makes the HUD UI crisp while when using dgVoodoo2 only, the UI is blurry.
EFObFBG.png
Also teleguy's patch completely prevents MW3 from crashing when using the pause/menu during gameplay.

hqdefault.jpg
https://youtu.be/c1qi5mGCdmY

Unfortunately, I still suffer from jumping ACPs though. (I didn't before because my framerate was too low I think).

I'll try running 1280x1024 (teleguy) and scaling to 1440x1080 (dgVoodoo) - should be very similar result to adding a 1440x1080 mode to teleguy's patch via hex editor (when I tried to add 1920x1080, it didn't work but that was an older version).

For reference, my system is i5-6600 + GTX750Ti.

By the way: I hacked around my OBS audio recording problems using VB Audio Cable (see video description for details since it's an MechWarrior3-OBS thing, not related to this patch or dgVoodoo as far as I can tell).

Reply 30 of 75, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tip: with dgvoodoo2 you can avoid ANY patch if you set 1024x768 and force the resolution.

Mech3+dgVoodoo2+ReShade+(AF16x) 😉

For the HUD pixellation problem remember to enable "bilinear blit stretch" in dgVoodoo Mech 3 profile DX tab.

Reply 31 of 75, by Night Thastus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey there.

With 1920x1080 resolution, dGVooDoo2, I have an issue with textures flickering at close range. (Mainly on moving stuff, most noticable on the MFBs, they flicker REALLY badly unless I'm super close)

My settings are:

(General)

Output API: Best available

Full Screen

Scaling: Unspecified

Keep Window Aspect Ratio

(DirectX)

Video Card: dgVooDoo 3D Accelerated Card

Force Bilinear Filtering

Force Linear Mip Filtering

Application Controlled Fullscreen/Windowed State

Antialiasing (MSAA): 8X

Force Vsync

So, how do I get rid of the texture filtering?

Reply 33 of 75, by HaraDaya

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there. Been lurking these boards often, and Google led me to this thread last year, but didn't have much luck then with getting the game to run stable. MW3 is the only game I've always been super fond of, but haven't been able to get to work right since a few years after its' release due to hardware or OS. It seems to work perfectly with DGVoodoo2 and the patch. No anti-gravity mechs, no bouncing APCs, esc menu not crashing the game.

Ten thumbs up.

Reply 34 of 75, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@teleguy
Thanks for making this!

A request:
Windows XP cannot run "16x9\MechWarrior 3 Launcher.exe" in the v0.5 package. It says it is not a valid win32 application. The other two launchers work correctly. Can you recompile it so it works on XP?
Also can u please add 1440x1080 to the 4:3 launcher? As it is the best 4:3 resolution on HD screens.

Edit: Based on your patch v0.4, I made another patch that can add 1440x1080 (Attached).

PS.
Given up on getting this game to run with Hardware 3D a Radeon 6670 on Windows XP. The "mw3patchddraw" patch removes the ghosting effect, but introduces another type of blocky ghosting that won't go away. The game behaves similar to X-Wing Alliance before someone made that all better with the FixedClear patch.
Fortunately my intel Ivy Bridge CPU has build-in HD graphics: So I can still play the game with Hardware 3D by changing the HDMI cable and two BIOS settings. 😀

Attachments

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 35 of 75, by teleguy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry I was away for a few weeks and just came back home.

Can you check if this launcher works on XP?

Attachments

• Filename
    169a.zip
    File size
    471.52 KiB
    Downloads
    233 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 38 of 75, by woad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hopefully someone (teleguy?) is still following this thread.

Loved Mechwarrior. Adored it. So, wanting to fire up MW3 again, installed c/w the 1.2 patch. Runs ok, although there was some form of artifacting at the top of the screen (a light or white effect, and some tearing?). Tried Win98 and XP compatibillity modes, which didn't fix it. I'd also see the AMD Crossfire logo

Then discovered this topic.

So, I have downloaded the latest version of the mod from the top of page 1, and the launcher from teleguy's post 22-12-2016.

Neither seem to work; my video options are still limited to those that shipped (640x800, 800x600, 1024x768).

Evidently am doing something wrong. I copied the contents of the 16:9 directory (zbd to the game \zbd folder, and the two .exe files to the game base folder. Doesn't matter whether I click on mech.exe or mechwarrior 3 launcher.exe, I only have the 3 default resolutions. And still the screen artifacting issue

Installed dgvoodoo2 into the base directory. When I launch MW3, I DO see the dgvoodoo logo, and the artifacts at top of screen have gone (yay!), but still only the three default screen resolutions. Crossfire logo has gone though 😀

So, what am I doing wrong - or can someone give me a step-by-step guide to using the hires mod?

System: Intel i7-3770K, 32GB RAM, 2 x Radeon 7950 (crosfire enabled but not specifically for this game)
Windows 7 Pro 64bit
No compatibility options set.

Reply 39 of 75, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
woad wrote:

Neither seem to work; my video options are still limited to those that shipped (640x800, 800x600, 1024x768).

AFAIK the resolution patches silently replace the actual ingame resolutions: the text in the MechWarrior 3 options dialog remains unchanged. Therefore 640x480 in the options actually means something else, but what it means depends on which patch you applied.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul