VOGONS

First post, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I last updated mTCP in May 2013 and I have two years of changes that are probably overdue to be unleashed on an unsuspecting populace. Here is some of what you can expect to see:

• All: Automatic IP address conflict detection
  • All: Slightly moar speed
  • All: Slightly improved TCP retransmit logic
  • FTPSRV bug fix related to Ctrl-Break handling
  • IRCjr on the PCjr: disable blinking text so that all of the mIRC color codes will work. (Other machines were not affected.)
  • DHCP: add an option to deal with short lease times
  • Telnet: 132 column support if you have a VESA video card that can do that.
  • Telnet: be more patient when closing down so that remaining incoming data gets processed correctly.
  • FTP client: new mdelete command and remove filename length limitations
  • New program: PktTool can scan for packet drivers, show statistics from a packet driver, and do some light analysis on packets sniffed on your network
  • New program: a high performance web server! (HTTPServ)

If you have bug reports or requests now would be a good time to send them to me ... otherwise, you get what you get ...

Reply 3 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

an awesome program getting more awesome!? what kind of magic is that!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 10, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's just a little magic ...

Today I added the ability to specify an alternative nameserver that overrides what DHCP provides so that you can use things like Google DNS regardless of what your router wants you to use. There was a request for an ipconfig/ifconfig type command from a user at the VC forums.

If you have other ideas or know of any bugs send them along.

Reply 5 of 10, by StickByDos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Mike,

A feature I would like is accented characters handling on IRC
When you're use using ASCII when everyone IRC is using utf8, you see and send some garbage

Both text must be identical on screen

Attachments

• Filename
    utf8.txt
    File size
    32 Bytes
    Downloads
    105 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    CP437.TXT
    File size
    26 Bytes
    Downloads
    107 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Type win to loose the power of your computer !

Reply 6 of 10, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
StickByDos wrote:
Hi Mike, […]
Show full quote

Hi Mike,

A feature I would like is accented characters handling on IRC
When you're use using ASCII when everyone IRC is using utf8, you see and send some garbage

Both text must be identical on screen

Unicode support is on the long-term to-do list.

For CGA and MDA it is a simple mapping of the Unicode character to something in the text mode character set. Many characters are not available, but most of the European languages can be covered.

For EGA and VGA which have loadable fonts things get more interesting and I have to do a bit of learning on how to detect what is loaded and how to exploit it. (As a US-English user I've been sheltered from the codepage support.)

Reply 7 of 10, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This may be beyond the scope of mTCP but I'd love to see a TSR to mount SMB shares to drive letters someday. Basically a drop-in replacement for MS Network Client, but with a decent TCP stack that doesn't eat all conventional memory.

Reply 8 of 10, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That is very ambitious .. and as you suspect, I think it would be a great project but not for me.

Another related idea is a TSR version of mTCP that allows users from other programming languages to use a software interrupt to get at the mTCP functions, in the same way that the Trumpet NTCPDRV program works. I'd like to help get all of those Pascal and BASIC users network enabled, but that's also a very ambitious project.

Reply 9 of 10, by sunaiac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A binary default mode for FTP ? 😁

R9 3900X/X470 Taichi/32GB 3600CL15/5700XT AE/Marantz PM7005
i7 980X/R9 290X/X-Fi titanium | FX-57/X1950XTX/Audigy 2ZS
Athlon 1000T Slot A/GeForce 3/AWE64G | K5 PR 200/ET6000/AWE32
Ppro 200 1M/Voodoo 3 2000/AWE 32 | iDX4 100/S3 864 VLB/SB16

Reply 10 of 10, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Strictly speaking it is not possible ... the default file transfer mode is set by the server, not the client.

What can be done is to add an option to send the "bin" command after the client detects that the login has completed. I think that would prevent the unfortunate "I transferred your zip file as a text file" mistakes.

(And probably to protect more people I would make that the default setting, and make people add a configuration setting if they wanted the standard behavior.)

Mike