VOGONS

First post, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've ported an Amiga app which allows a PC equipped with a HxC Floppy Emulator to change between disk images on the fly.
This makes it much easier to manage large numbers of disk images, and also makes the cheaper "slim" version of the emulator more usable.
You can download it here:

http://github.com/bjt42/hxcfs

It should run on anything from an original IBM PC with MDA upwards.
I've made a video showing it in action here:

https://youtu.be/rfovFoMaL54

UPDATE 07/09/2015 - Release 1.10b is now available and fixes a couple of bugs with keyboard and floppy error handling.

Last edited by bjt on 2015-09-07, 09:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

very nice! surely this will be ultra-handy to HxC users... almost tempted to build some XT machine with a CGA for composite goodness 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 18, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep CGA composite looks nice. Unfortunately it's not that easy to find a compatible display for us PAL people, it requires a TV that can not only handle 60Hz but also NTSC colour encoding.

One option is an Extron DVS204 scaler, it can convert from NTSC composite to RGB. Then you just need a TV that can handle 60Hz RGB via SCART.

Reply 3 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have found several NTSC-supporting sets here, the key is to look for the latest models... the best I have are a 14" Sony and a 21" Philips sets, both flat and trinitron... ntsc encoding is tested, the reason I searched them is because I have a famicom 😀 , really tempted to make a cga build 😎

I do find the HxC expensive though... 😒

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 18, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, agree that it's pricey new. I think I paid 35 euro inc postage for my slim from someone on Amibay.
Would have liked the 3.5 bay version with display but it's too expensive.

Reply 5 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ yeah she's a beauty but beauty demands 100eur 🤣
maybe some day...

Reply 6 of 18, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjt wrote:

One option is an Extron DVS204 scaler, it can convert from NTSC composite to RGB. Then you just need a TV that can handle 60Hz RGB via SCART.

Seems like that model is 'retired' as per Extron's website. I may be in the market for such a thing soon...

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 7 of 18, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are quite a few Chinapride NTSC/PAL composite to VGA adapters on the market for dirt cheap. If you think finding a NTSC monitor is Europe is tough, try finding a PAL one in the US. Multi system hardware was always an expensive niche product here. If anything, flat panels made it more common. I have a few Samsung LCD monitors here that accept NTSC/PAL/SECAM on its video inputs.

Reply 9 of 18, by Yrouel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello I tried using your dos manager with the latest HxC firmware (v3.0.8.1a) on a Gotek emulator. I'm not sure how do you exactly are supposed to use it but what I did was to use the DosDiskBrowser to put the hxcfs.exe into the first disk image.
When I try to launch it from there I get floppy access error and the display of the Gotek shows only ===. Am I doing something wrong?

Reply 11 of 18, by Yrouel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bjt wrote:

Yes, what you did should be fine.
I'm still using v3.0.6.6a, I'll try the latest version when I get a chance.

Thanks. Any chance your DOS manager will become official and bundled with the others (with a ready to use AUTOBOOT.HFE etc)?

Reply 13 of 18, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Amiga has ADF, Atari has ST, what is the suitable Disk-Image-Format for the PC
if I consider to use the Floppy-Emulator with a Euro-PC (XT) or a Tandy 1000.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 14 of 18, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Yrouel wrote:

Hello I tried using your dos manager with the latest HxC firmware (v3.0.8.1a) on a Gotek emulator. I'm not sure how do you exactly are supposed to use it but what I did was to use the DosDiskBrowser to put the hxcfs.exe into the first disk image.
When I try to launch it from there I get floppy access error and the display of the Gotek shows only ===. Am I doing something wrong?

I tried it here with the 3.0.8.1a firmware, works OK. I think you are running into a bug I already reported to Jeff but I don't think is fixed yet. The Gotek fails to enter direct access mode when a 1.44MB image is mounted, try putting hxcfs.exe in a 720k image instead.

You can also run hxcfs.exe from another drive e.g. a hard or ram disk.

Reply 15 of 18, by Yrouel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bjt wrote:

I tried it here with the 3.0.8.1a firmware, works OK. I think you are running into a bug I already reported to Jeff but I don't think is fixed yet. The Gotek fails to enter direct access mode when a 1.44MB image is mounted, try putting hxcfs.exe in a 720k image instead.

Thank you! It works now 😁

Reply 16 of 18, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote:

Amiga has ADF, Atari has ST, what is the suitable Disk-Image-Format for the PC
if I consider to use the Floppy-Emulator with a Euro-PC (XT) or a Tandy 1000.

For PC it's HFE (HxC's own format).
The Windows tools can convert from other formats (e.g. WinImage and raw disk images) to HFE.

Reply 18 of 18, by AmstradPCUser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry if this has been asked before, I haven't read all of the answers.

What I wonder is what can you make if you want to have some floppy images that you need in order when you can't use the HxCFS program.

I mean for example that you want to install MSDos. I've tried creating a drawer and inside I've got the files named with the usual DSKA0000 and next names, so I selected using the Flopply emulator manager for Dos the first as A: But when the MSDos installation asked for the second floppy, clicking the Gotek button didn't work to change to the next floppy on that drawer.