VOGONS

Quake2 + Acebot for DOSBox (128mb)

Topic actions

Reply 820 of 862, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, that's what I do. I always just set skill 0. Honestly a lot of the newer maps are so damn big with this whole what i like to call "contra style" wave of too many hard enemies all at the same time that I usually end up cheating at some point.

bind g god
forever in my autoexec.cfg 😁

Reply 825 of 862, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a trend with any game that allows level editing for the most part that has a community that's been on-going long since the game has ran out of steam for the average person. Everyone has played the game so many times to death they need some real challenge.

However, slightly off topic, but an excellent map pack for any game that I played a while ago was Death Wish for Blood. It's challenging on easy, but not enough where its enough to make me resort to cheating and honestly 100% the maps are above and beyond Monolith quality. It's 3 whole episodes too. Something to check out when you're getting tired of all the real 3d 😜

EDIT: verify the qdosfx error if you can. I think it said getspace overflow for me in qdosfx

Reply 827 of 862, by __ggorts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll definitely try that suggested map pack.

Qdosfx loads locust, but telefragged has the allowoverflowset error (as you noted!).

That's an interesting point about the community, it reminds of the Doom1 community and their very popular mod at moddb.

Reply 828 of 862, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah. However Doom 2 had some cool stuff like Memento Mori, Requiem and Icarus. There is a Plutonium 2 that's recent but will run in vanilla doom and is somewhat hard (had to cheat a few times) but overall very nice.

Reply 829 of 862, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also if you get NE2000 working in your dosbox builds we could play on my custom coop server on quakeworld. Or if you just want to "cheat" I do maintain a Windows port for debugging purposes but I maintain a binary on the QDOS homepage from time to time.

Reply 832 of 862, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
__ggorts wrote:

Thanks for the guide. I'm always been a fan of Doom/2, especially the music.

Edit: thanks, I'll verify the ne2000 patch, but perhaps the windows port is in fact a better option.

Speaking of Doom do you have private messaging I got something doom related for you.

Reply 836 of 862, by __ggorts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks! I sent back a reply.

In any case with the above maps, I think many in the map packs should work and those two in question must have steeper system requirements. They are good tests for adding code bits.

Reply 839 of 862, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You won't be able to play it in DOS unless you had a serious machine. I can barely hit 4-10 frames on that p3 and in software it can barely manage about the same. You could play it in software in windows, but I don't have fence textures so those grates on teh floor will be pink unless you modify the texture in the pak. Which I might end up doing for fun.

Anyways, quakespasm is really the best to be able to play that particular mod. Telefragged is really good actually.