VOGONS

DOSMid - an open-source MIDI player for DOS

Topic actions

Reply 101 of 104, by mateusz.viste

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
imi wrote on 2020-11-07, 20:20:

sorry if I missed it, but is it possible to loop tracks?

There is no "replay" feature, if that's what you are asking about. I think the only workaround to play a single file in loop would be to create a single-entry M3U playlist and play it with the /random switch.

ECHO FILE.MID > PLAYLIST.M3U
DOSMID /random PLAYLIST.M3U

http://mateusz.viste.fr | gopher://gopher.viste.fr

Reply 103 of 104, by vladimiro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mateusz.viste wrote on 2020-10-13, 07:39:
I'm glad you like it, thanks for the heads up! […]
Show full quote
sarp wrote on 2020-10-12, 21:11:

Thanks mateusz, very useful program .... Cheers mate

I'm glad you like it, thanks for the heads up!

vladimiro wrote on 2020-09-18, 20:01:

Hello, how do you change the tempo ???
by default it is 95 and they are heard slow.
Thank you!

DOSMid follows tempo instructions that are present in the MIDI stream, the tempo may change dynamically many times during the song hence making it manually adjustable does not seem to be a useful feature. Some files may miss an explicit tempo instruction, in such case DOSMid is supposed to fall back to 120 BMP, that's a recommendation I had found in some MIDI specifications. Could you please provide me an example of a MIDI file that you have troubles with (ie. that DOSMid plays too slow)? I'd be interested to take a look at it and compare the playback with a few other players.

Hi. I tested with the midi of doom 1 and 2, blood, duke nukem 3d, these last two were extracted.

Reply 104 of 104, by mateusz.viste

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vladimiro wrote on 2020-12-01, 04:42:

Hi. I tested with the midi of doom 1 and 2, blood, duke nukem 3d, these last two were extracted.

The titles you mention are stored in-game in the MUS format. MUS is 140 bpm, as opposed to MIDI which is (by default) 120 bpm. Perhaps the tool you used to convert MUS files to MIDI forgot to adjust the tempo? That would explain why it plays too slow. Best would be to use the original MUS data - DOSMid supports MUS natively. But most important question: are other MIDI players playing your files correctly (without manual tempo tuning)?

http://mateusz.viste.fr | gopher://gopher.viste.fr