VOGONS

Reply 40 of 151, by sean1978

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Question. Can I use this to play MIDI on the SoundBlaster and sequence it externally?
Could I play this with a MIDI keyboard?

EIDT: in this video I'm using Voyetra sequencer plus to sequence internal sound blaster noises on one port and my Akai sampler on the midi out. I'd really like to control the SoundBlaster via MIDI IN and sequence the notes on my Atari ST. I have been looking and all of the programs I have found only allow me to control a single in channel at a time.

Basically I'd like to use my PS/2 like a midi sound module.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmNVsH-mp14

SIMPLETHINGS: Fun stuff from the 80's and 90's!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLxoVzIzuIN1tQ7DRO7gB6g

Reply 41 of 151, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It can work with external devices that accept a MIDI input but not vice versa.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 42 of 151, by mateusz.viste

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sean1978 wrote:

Question. Can I use this to play MIDI on the SoundBlaster and sequence it externally?

No, DOSMid only accept one type of input: MIDI files. It doesn't provide any way to "listen to" incoming MIDI notes from an external device to play them in real-time on another MIDI device.

Could I play this with a MIDI keyboard?

If your intention is to play a MIDI file through your keyboard (using it as a synth), then yes, DOSMid can do that, it will emit MIDI notes through the MPU-401 port of your sound card, and if you hook it to the MIDI IN port of your keyboard, the latter will play whatever it receives.

Reply 43 of 151, by sean1978

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If it will play input notes from a MIDI keyboard then it can also be sequenced externally. I have seen several programs that have this functionality. What would make it extremely useful for musicians is if it could play multiple channels of input notes in real time to separate patches. '

As an example I can use a program like the Sound Blaster intelligent organ and sequence it as a single channel via MIDI. As far as the program is concerned it's the same as using a midi keyboard. What I can't do is send multiple channels at it at the same time (a bassline and a drum pattern for example)

If you don't understand what I'm saying I could maybe chat on facebook or something. As far as I have seen no program exists that can use a soundblaster card multi timbrally from the MIDI in. All of the trackers that make cool noises only let you sequence your tracks internally.

With something like this any professional musician could integrate a soundblaster PC as a synth into their studio setup.

SIMPLETHINGS: Fun stuff from the 80's and 90's!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLxoVzIzuIN1tQ7DRO7gB6g

Reply 44 of 151, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@mateusz.viste

Thanks for the latest build!
This was very "under the table", it would be nice of you to at least bump this thread with a "new version" notice.
Thank you!

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 45 of 151, by macthebomb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I usually do gigs with a Roland Keyboard that plays my midi files but have started using this player for smaller gigs. I have just one question: how do you stop the player from shuffling to the next random file. I have only found one toggle which repeats the same midi but not a toggle that stops the player at the end of the song.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Reply 47 of 151, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is the DOSMid thread which is a great DOS midi player.

Falcosoft thread is here: Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi latest beta is 4.2 on the last page.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 48 of 151, by mateusz.viste

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
James-F wrote:

This was very "under the table", it would be nice of you to at least bump this thread with a "new version" notice.

Indeed, I discreetly released a public v0.9.1 at the end of last month, and didn't thought about dropping a message here (to be honest I am rarely browsing vogons, not that much into these "forum" things). I'm actually surprised you noticed the new release so quick :)

Anyway, here's the (somewhat late, sorry!) announcement:

Dear Vogoners, I'm happy to announce the release of DOSMID v0.9.1. This is a minor upgrade that brings a few improvements kindly suggested by james-f:

- resetting channels to "all piano" before playing MIDI files,
- syx files can be set from within DOSMID.CFG now,
- configurable extra delay before playing files (/delay=X).

The latest version of DOSMID can always be downloaded from its website at http://dosmid.sourceforge.net

Reply 49 of 151, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mateusz.viste wrote:
James-F wrote:

Dear Vogoners, I'm happy to announce the release of DOSMID v0.9.1. This is a minor upgrade that brings a few improvements kindly suggested by james-f:

- resetting channels to "all piano" before playing MIDI files,

does it play well with fdimples ? joking... I hate that soft !

Reply 51 of 151, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have made a m3u playlist file, but I can not seem to make DOSMID play the files in the order they appear in the playlist. It seems to play in random order?!?

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 52 of 151, by mateusz.viste

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elianda wrote:

I have made a m3u playlist file, but I can not seem to make DOSMID play the files in the order they appear in the playlist. It seems to play in random order?!?

Hello Elianda, you are correct - first DOSMid versions (until very recently) played playlists in random order, simply because it was the easiest to implement.

Today I released a new version of DOSMid, the version 0.9.2, with following changes:

DOSMid v0.9.2 [06 Jun 2017]
- fixed parsing of the /SBMIDI=xxx value (bug reported by James-F),
- sequential playlist playing (inspired by a patch from Graham Wiseman).

So as of today, playlists are played in their 'normal' order. Wanna randomize, as it was before? Simply run DOSMid with the "/random" parameter!

homepage: http://dosmid.sourceforge.net

Reply 53 of 151, by thierry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mateusz.viste wrote:
Hello Elianda, you are correct - first DOSMid versions (until very recently) played playlists in random order, simply because it […]
Show full quote
elianda wrote:

Hello Elianda, you are correct - first DOSMid versions (until very recently) played playlists in random order, simply because it was the easiest to implement.

Today I released a new version of DOSMid, the version 0.9.2, with following changes:

DOSMid v0.9.2 [06 Jun 2017]
- fixed parsing of the /SBMIDI=xxx value (bug reported by James-F),
- sequential playlist playing (inspired by a patch from Graham Wiseman).

So as of today, playlists are played in their 'normal' order. Wanna randomize, as it was before? Simply run DOSMid with the "/random" parameter!

homepage: http://dosmid.sourceforge.net

Exelent , thanks for this , try it today

Reply 55 of 151, by mateusz.viste

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

New version of DOSMid is out.

http://dosmid.sourceforge.net

Version 0.9.3 is a maintenance release that brings improvements related to RAM management. No need to upgrade, unless you run DOSMid on a machine without XMS memory and would like to play slightly bigger files than before. v0.9.3 is able to load 25% longer files using the same amount of memory as v0.9.2.

Reply 58 of 151, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi Mateusz,
I also like and use your player under DOS. Previously you have already discussed with James-F that by default all midi channels are Program 0 (Acoustic Grand Piano) after a reset according to GM specification. Now your player plays the files good even when explicit PC messages are missing in files. But the visualization still reflects the old 'buggy' behavior when you iterated the channels from 0 to 15 and assigned the corresponding programs to channels. So when you load a file DOSMid still displays the wrong instruments on channels where explicit PC messages are missing. To be clear: If you play a midi file that does not use PC messages at all you hear piano on all channels that is good, but you can still see the following wrong instruments associated with the channels (on the left side of the UI):

Acoustic Grand 
Bright Acoustic
Electric grand
Honky Tonk
Electric Piano
Electric Piano
Harpsichord
Clavinet
Celesta
Percussion
Music Box
Vibraphone
Marimba
Xylophone
Tubular bells
Dulcimer

Instead of the right:

Acoustic Grand
Acoustic Grand
Acoustic Grand
Acoustic Grand
Acoustic Grand
Acoustic Grand
Acoustic Grand
Acoustic Grand
Acoustic Grand
Percussion
Acoustic Grand
Acoustic Grand
Acoustic Grand
Acoustic Grand
Acoustic Grand
Acoustic Grand

Thanks
Ps: Here's a test file that uses Ch#13 as Acoustic Grand Piano (and sounds good) but displays the instrument as 'Marimba':

Filename
A Midsummer Fairy's Dream_ch13.zip
File size
28.94 KiB
Downloads
75 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 59 of 151, by mateusz.viste

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Falcosoft wrote:

I also like and use your player under DOS. Previously you have already discussed with James-F that by default all midi channels are Program 0 (Acoustic Grand Piano) after a reset according to GM specification. Now your player plays the files good even when explicit PC messages are missing in files. But the visualization still reflects the old 'buggy' behavior when you iterated the channels from 0 to 15 and assigned the corresponding programs to channels.

Hi Falcosoft, I'm glad you like DOSMid. Indeed, the UI was still presenting default channels 'the old way', that's clearly a bug. I fixed it in project's svn, so it will be included in the next release. Thank you for reporting it!

http://mateusz.viste.fr | gopher://gopher.viste.fr