- mods?
- CD Audio tracks?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 1 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

oh god. the sourceports you'll find for those three will be "i'm the best!!! cruft cruft cruft" variety. Makes me all 🙄 and just go for the most purist thing.

Wolf3D - Stick with the original binaries. though ECWolf is looking pretty good. Ports for this often break stuff (like endings)
RTCW - Knightmare's unofficial RTCW patch. Could have been done better. What it does is fix bugs and does it wider.
Q2- Knightmare's Quake II 3.24 patch. Also could have been done better. Most of the other ports out there are shooting-in-foot "this is how it should be done!! recompile your mods get a 3d card" or some particle/shader system coder fantasy high things as if they mattered.
Q3A- superlatives are also very abused here (often together wth the strange word "SDL".). I'll just say two ports even bother with proper widescreen expansion and it's not the popular one but rather obscure ones. One of them even stops by here and posts things

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 7, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:
oh god. the sourceports you'll find for those three will be "i'm the best!!! cruft cruft cruft" variety. Makes me all :rolleyes […]
Show full quote

oh god. the sourceports you'll find for those three will be "i'm the best!!! cruft cruft cruft" variety. Makes me all 🙄 and just go for the most purist thing.

Wolf3D - Stick with the original binaries. though ECWolf is looking pretty good. Ports for this often break stuff (like endings)
RTCW - Knightmare's unofficial RTCW patch. Could have been done better. What it does is fix bugs and does it wider.
Q2- Knightmare's Quake II 3.24 patch. Also could have been done better. Most of the other ports out there are shooting-in-foot "this is how it should be done!! recompile your mods get a 3d card" or some particle/shader system coder fantasy high things as if they mattered.
Q3A- superlatives are also very abused here (often together wth the strange word "SDL".). I'll just say two ports even bother with proper widescreen expansion and it's not the popular one but rather obscure ones. One of them even stops by here and posts things

As with most iD Tech games you can simple drop console in Quake III (and RTCW) and add :

/r_displayheight x
/r_displaywidth x
/r_mode -1
/r_displayrefresh x
/vid_restart

To set custom (widescreen) resolutions. Remember to change /cg_fov x also.

Hopefully the GOG release will bring some new players to the game for a while. I know Quake Live is on STEAM but it's very different (worse) than the original Quake III with all the loadout system and damage reduction they have done to the weapons in order to make it more balanced (casual). I wonder if OSP will work with the GOG release...

Anyways, thanks for the heads up. A DRM free copy of Quake II is always welcome. As for the others, it has to be vanilla for me. Quake III might be interesting though, if there are new players. Even for a short time.

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 3 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That depends if GoG generates cdkeys for Q3, because that's strictly on authenticated printed keys. That was a problem for UT2004 with all those players conflicting with the same UID

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 7, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think I will get this release. Wolf3D I've already got, I think through the 3D Realms Anthology, and also on Steam. RTCW through Steam. Quake II I've got the original CD and not really interested in Quake III to be honest.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 5 of 7, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Even though I've got the original discs for Quake II and III in storage, I think I'm still going to grab the GoG releases. My Quake II disc is badly scratched to the point that I can't listen to the last audio track.

Reply 6 of 7, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Even though I've got the original discs for Quake II and III in storage, I think I'm still going to grab the GoG releases. My Quake II disc is badly scratched to the point that I can't listen to the last audio track.

What is a Quake II original CD, without the glory of the full audio tracks? 🤣 🤣

I would buy them all if the money went to Carmack, Romero, Cloud etc... but I'll be damned if Zenimax is getting a PENNY from me until the day I die.

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 7 of 7, by Tiger433

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Quake II is nothing without music, I bought years Quake 2 from some magazine and I saw that game CD is without CD-track`s. I don`t buy them on GoG until they are normally priced. When prices are lower I buy even old Wolfenstein 3D because I like that game very much 😀

W7 "retro" PC: ASUS P8H77-V, Intel i3 3240, 8 GB DDR3 1333, HD6850, 2 x 500 GB HDD
Retro 98SE PC: MSI MS-6511, AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 512 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128, 80GB HDD
My Youtube channel