VOGONS

SBVGM (DOS) VGM Player

Topic actions

Reply 340 of 344, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had many difficulty using sbvgm 1.33, to boot from : I like how it display it when all synth needed playing a music, but my request being : can it also display it when it fail at matching a play ? Also why I have to specify -t2c0 while opl388 is autodetected ? This dont make sense. Why some players are autodetected and some are not ? I would prefer audio device being autodetected via command line parameters. It but crash the player if I dont thoroughly disable the sblive in there too

Last edited by ElBrunzy on 2020-12-24, 17:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 342 of 344, by OPLx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ElBrunzy wrote on 2020-12-24, 17:45:

I had many difficulty using sbvgm 1.33, to boot from : I like how it display it when all synth needed playing a music, but my request being : can it also display it when it fail at matching a play ? Also why I have to specify -t2c0 while opl388 is autodetected ? This dont make sense. Why some players are autodetected and some are not ? I would prefer audio device being autodetected via command line parameters. It but crash the player if I dont thoroughly disable the sblive in there too

I'll keep displaying the names of the chips that caused the player to fail in mind for when I can work on fixes for the next version. In the case of SN76489 detection: The primary reason is that there is simply no auto-detection method available on the current SN76489 sound cards. In regards to the crash that you are experiencing with the sblive installed, what are your environment variables settings for the sound card and what are the sound devices (including their port addresses)?

ElBrunzy wrote on 2020-12-24, 17:48:

also I hope your coding team are also working on the PSG playing problem that skip some bass notes

I haven't forgotten about that and have an idea for how to fix it, it's just been very busy lately. I will try to take care of it as soon as possible. Thank you for the feedback! 👍

Reply 343 of 344, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

About the set blaster bug, I think any random (but wrong) set blaster= settings might cause the player to crash. I'll try to give you the info if I can find them.
About auto-detect of audio chip really, I think you should add a way to disable them or ask to detect them, like "sbvgm 123.vgm +t2c0 -opl3" so that would add tandy and remove opl from the mix. Now you have a new version of your engine you might also try to make it more modular, like you add players in command line "sbvgm.exe music.vgm +synth1 +synth2 -synth3"

about the psg note bug. I'm about ready to make a audio of using sbvgm.exe on the saa1099 and sn76489 for comparison. I was wondering if you had any music in mind that you would like me to use. Do you want to delay this project until you fix the PSG Bass note problem ?

Reply 344 of 344, by OPLx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ElBrunzy wrote on 2020-12-26, 03:02:

About the set blaster bug, I think any random (but wrong) set blaster= settings might cause the player to crash. I'll try to give you the info if I can find them.
About auto-detect of audio chip really, I think you should add a way to disable them or ask to detect them, like "sbvgm 123.vgm +t2c0 -opl3" so that would add tandy and remove opl from the mix. Now you have a new version of your engine you might also try to make it more modular, like you add players in command line "sbvgm.exe music.vgm +synth1 +synth2 -synth3"

Having some kind of command line option to exclude certain chips is not a bad idea. At the moment I am not sure if changing the format (+ for adding and - for exclusion) is a good idea since that could break other programs that assume the current format.

ElBrunzy wrote on 2020-12-26, 03:02:

about the psg note bug. I'm about ready to make a audio of using sbvgm.exe on the saa1099 and sn76489 for comparison. I was wondering if you had any music in mind that you would like me to use. Do you want to delay this project until you fix the PSG Bass note problem ?

Since things are a bit busy at the moment, I'm not sure how soon I will be able to fix the problem. If you wanted to work on the project and not wait, you could use VGM files that don't exhibit the bug.