VOGONS

SBVGM (DOS) VGM Player

Topic actions

Reply 360 of 361, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice work as usual OPLx. I took some time to test the player with what I had under my hand tonight. One computer had a sb1.5+cms and the other only have the tndy nano. With the help of -noscan, I could quickly select OPLL and/or PSG music by using the -a and/or -C switch. On the tndy nano (still not sure why matze79 removed the A from tandy) the "-t2C0 -noauto" argument save the day by near instantly skip all unsupported files.

On msdos you don't have much char to name your file and you cannot have FM/PSG subdir since the "for file" batch command don't support subdir. As you know, the best SEGA Master System soundtrack often had PSG and FM version and for those reasons I believe people might store them in the same directory. I believe that It's at this moment then that the -noauto comes in handy.

On the ym2151 topic, the guys at TexElec quickly shipped me the soundcard so I will have some time this spring to familiarize with it and hopefully this summer I will be able to host the final Showdown and know which of the three contender is worthy to yield the Golden Axe of the best soundtrack : Sega Megadrive, PC Adlib, or Arcade YM2151 ?

Reply 361 of 361, by OPLx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ElBrunzy wrote on 2021-03-17, 04:16:

Nice work as usual OPLx. I took some time to test the player with what I had under my hand tonight. One computer had a sb1.5+cms and the other only have the tndy nano. With the help of -noscan, I could quickly select OPLL and/or PSG music by using the -a and/or -C switch. On the tndy nano (still not sure why matze79 removed the A from tandy) the "-t2C0 -noauto" argument save the day by near instantly skip all unsupported files.

On msdos you don't have much char to name your file and you cannot have FM/PSG subdir since the "for file" batch command don't support subdir. As you know, the best SEGA Master System soundtrack often had PSG and FM version and for those reasons I believe people might store them in the same directory. I believe that It's at this moment then that the -noauto comes in handy.

Glad the new parameter has helped out. Hopefully others will benefit from it as well.

ElBrunzy wrote on 2021-03-17, 04:16:

On the ym2151 topic, the guys at TexElec quickly shipped me the soundcard so I will have some time this spring to familiarize with it and hopefully this summer I will be able to host the final Showdown and know which of the three contender is worthy to yield the Golden Axe of the best soundtrack : Sega Megadrive, PC Adlib, or Arcade YM2151 ?

Hopefully there will be more software support for TexElec's SAAYM card. SAAYM brings something unique to the PC platform, but the OPL3's 4-operator mode never fully saw much use. Reality ADlib Tracker version 2 and Adlib Tracker II allow use of the OPL3's 4-operator mode. My guess is that the reason why there are so few OPL3 4-operator songs is possibly due to there being more nostalgia with the other platforms and other sound chips.

As far as the Golden Axe soundtrack goes, I'm biased towards the original YM2151 version; it seems to have a more symphonic feel than the other versions. 😀