VOGONS

Day of the Tentacle Remastered

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 34, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wouldn't be surprised if a retail version (boxed) will popup later.

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 22 of 34, by TheDosPlace

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Buy the original secondhand if you desire boxy box.

This doesn't need to be yet another "ahhh down with digital's!!! physical's best" dead horse thread.

I apologize for this travesty. Actually, don't get me wrong- I wasn't trolling and quite like digital-only games. Also: I own the original second hand already! 😀 I just think that remastered games are a special case for themselves: if they're remastering a game that had a box in the past, it seems only logical that the remaster should have a remastered box too.

Myloch wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if a retail version (boxed) will popup later.

Here's hoping! It happened with Monkey Island 5!

^Dave from TheDosPlace
http://www.facebook.com/TheDosPlace

Reply 23 of 34, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I sat down and did a complete play-through of this last night.

The new art is fantastic, I really appreciate the effort that's gone in to re-drawing everything.

Disappointingly, many of the sound effects are different. They're certainly of a higher quality, but they are noticeably different and offend my nostalgia-lobe. Some examples I can think of off the top of my head:

- the generic *ding* sound (front desk bell, microwave finishing, shrink gun failing to fire)
- the two effects used for the tentacles jumping around (also used for the barf peeling off the ceiling and hitting the floor)
- that deep gut-churning "GLOOOP" sound when Hoagie squeezes out through the window.
- many of the cartoony stretch/doioioing/klaxon etc type sounds

I can only assume this is because they used stock sounds for the original, and they are no longer available, or aren't available at a quality level that would fit.

Moving along...

The spoken dialogue sounds amazing! So clear, no obvious jumps in sample rate/compression level like there were in DOTT '93. I'd really like to see the same treatment given to Sam & Max Hit the Road.

The verb-wheel thing works pretty well, and gameplay is paused while it's up, so Ben Franklin's kite is easier if you aren't a fast mouser. It also serves as a hint, because it only shows verbs that are valid for the current item.

The music sounds nice, they've used a decent sound font, though I don't have the nerd cred to tell you which sound font (or HW synth?) they might have used. When playing the game in classic mode, you hear the AdLib music. It sounds authentic enough, I'll need to do a full playthrough in classic mode before I can say for sure. When I've played the game previously on DOSBox or ScummVM, I've always picked immediately where something didn't sound like real OPL.

Miscellaneous things, there is currently no way to skip dialogue. You can skip certain cutscenes, but not dialogue. Minor gripe though, since the dialogue is always smile-inducing to hear. I only noticed this because I was trying to beat the game quickly.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with how this has turned out. Two thumbs up, Double Fine!!

Last edited by SquallStrife on 2016-03-23, 00:04. Edited 2 times in total.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 28 of 34, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I actually prefer the new graphics. It is so nice to finally have full screen widescreen in this classic. IMO, they did an outstanding job redrawing everything. It is just how I would have imagined it being. The only downside is that with high res artwork, the low framerate of the animation really stands out now. It was less noticeable with the old graphics. It would be beyond the scope of the budget to add all the additional frames to smooth everything out. Minor quibble really.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 29 of 34, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's not bad. I'm a little disappointed by some of the sound effects being changed when they did not need to be, particularly using more realistic than cartoon like sounds. The animation is a little variable, not quite up to the original, and the music is a lot better than OPL, perhaps a little different than Roland, though.

The old graphics oddly look better through SCUMMVM (even unscaled) than through the revamped DOTT(!).

Haven't tried widescreen, because all my monitors are 4:3, even the TFTs.

Overall, for a modern gamer it's well worth it, and a lot easier than buying the old version, and fiddling with SCUMMVM with Munt built in.

Reply 30 of 34, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So, should I buy the remastered edition in order to obtain legitimate access to the high quality voice samples in the hopes that someday someone would add them back to the DOS game as an Ultimate Talkie Edition along the lines of MI1 and MI2? I believe the samples on the DOS CD version are in 8-bit, 22KHz quality at best. Could they use an 11KHz sample rate, or was there compression going on?

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 32 of 34, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just beat this the other day, was a blast coming back to it. The commentary was great and I also watched a video of Tim and Dave playing through the original game, which also provided tons of insight.

I still have mixed feelings about the updated visuals, however the voices and music are top notch remasters. Not sure how I feel about some of the sound effect changes, they were too iconic to mess with but probably couldn't find them in better quality 🙁.

Reply 34 of 34, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So, this game is not compatible with Windows XP out of the box. Even though when it was initially released, many sites stated that it was compatible with XP. But there are a couple of tiny hex edits that make it XP compatible:
https://www.gog.com/forum/day_of_the_tentacle … wont_run/post12

I just tried and it works perfectly.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks