VOGONS

Reply 1681 of 1699, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OutlawHusbando wrote on 2024-03-25, 13:12:

I know this is a tricky request but is the codebase compatible to be ported to Linux ? I'm not sure if MidiPlayer use QT for GUI if it's QT or GTK I guess we have a decent chance to port it to Linux.

Linux sadly, currently doesn't have a good Midi Player which is sad, I'm enjoying Linux but the lack of a great player really makes me feel a bit uncomfortable whenever I want to listen to MIDI music.

Unfortunately, almost everything (MIDI) on Linux is based around FluidSynth and SoundFont files, so you won't find anything sophisticated for hardware modules or anything widely used beyond simple SoundFont usage. Timidity++ is likely as good as you'll find unless someone writes something from scratch or ports something from Windows, like the Jazz MIDI sequencer.

Reply 1682 of 1699, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2024-03-25, 17:59:
OutlawHusbando wrote on 2024-03-25, 13:12:

I know this is a tricky request but is the codebase compatible to be ported to Linux ? I'm not sure if MidiPlayer use QT for GUI if it's QT or GTK I guess we have a decent chance to port it to Linux.

Linux sadly, currently doesn't have a good Midi Player which is sad, I'm enjoying Linux but the lack of a great player really makes me feel a bit uncomfortable whenever I want to listen to MIDI music.

Unfortunately, almost everything (MIDI) on Linux is based around FluidSynth and SoundFont files, so you won't find anything sophisticated for hardware modules or anything widely used beyond simple SoundFont usage. Timidity++ is likely as good as you'll find unless someone writes something from scratch or ports something from Windows, like the Jazz MIDI sequencer.

I've beeing using MidiPlayer with Sound Canvas VA for years now on Linux with Wine. It works flawlessly:

9Kt0KUG.png

Reply 1683 of 1699, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can it actually send to or receive from real MIDI devices through Wine? If it can, that would be amazing.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1684 of 1699, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2024-03-26, 11:07:

Can it actually send to or receive from real MIDI devices through Wine? If it can, that would be amazing.

I don't have any such devices anymore, but I don't see why it can't. Last time I tried something like that was 10 years ago, running a Windows DAW (Reaper) on Linux with Wine and using a MIDI keyboard with it. It worked just fine. MidiPlayer shows up as a MIDI client, just like anything else that uses MIDI. You can hook it up using standard Linux ALSA MIDI routing to anything you like.

Edit:

Actually, now that I think about it, it works better than on Windows 😜 There, I have to install additional software to connect MIDI applications with each other. I don't need any of that on Linux. I just start MidiPlayer and DOSBox, PCem, etc, can just output to its MIDI port. MIDI ports and routing is built-in into the OS.

Reply 1685 of 1699, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
realnc wrote on 2024-03-26, 11:43:
I don't have any such devices anymore, but I don't see why it can't. Last time I tried something like that was 10 years ago, run […]
Show full quote
appiah4 wrote on 2024-03-26, 11:07:

I don't have any such devices anymore, but I don't see why it can't. Last time I tried something like that was 10 years ago, running a Windows DAW (Reaper) on Linux with Wine and using a MIDI keyboard with it. It worked just fine. MidiPlayer shows up as a MIDI client, just like anything else that uses MIDI. You can hook it up using standard Linux ALSA MIDI routing to anything you like.

Edit:

Actually, now that I think about it, it works better than on Windows 😜 There, I have to install additional software to connect MIDI applications with each other. I don't need any of that on Linux. I just start MidiPlayer and DOSBox, PCem, etc, can just output to its MIDI port. MIDI ports and routing is built-in into the OS.

I know that alsa can route midi channels to/from each other, what I am not sure about is how exposed the USB ports or sound cards (through alsa) are to Wine as a layer.. If MidiPlayer (when ran through wine) is a valid midi destination (or source) for alsa, the all is fine 😀

Reply 1686 of 1699, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2024-03-27, 07:02:

I know that alsa can route midi channels to/from each other, what I am not sure about is how exposed the USB ports or sound cards (through alsa) are to Wine as a layer.. If MidiPlayer (when ran through wine) is a valid midi destination (or source) for alsa, the all is fine 😀

Yep, in the settings of MidiPlayer, I can see the ALSA ports available as outputs and inputs.

If I start Qsynth or Munt, then in MidiPlayer I can select them as "MIDI out". If I play something in MidiPlayer, MIDI events are sent to Qsynth or Munt and they render the audio.

The "MIDI in" list consists of all available ALSA MIDI sources , so if a USB MIDI keyboard is attached, you should be able to use it (I don't have one anymore, so can't test, but source ports show up, it should work.)

Overall, it doesn't seem to care if something is USB or a MIDI card. If it has an ALSA MIDI port, you can use it.

Reply 1688 of 1699, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2024-03-25, 17:59:

Unfortunately, almost everything (MIDI) on Linux is based around FluidSynth and SoundFont files, so you won't find anything sophisticated for hardware modules or anything widely used beyond simple SoundFont usage.

MUNT has a Linux based command line or Qt GUI client, and is also included in certain DOSBox forks. So MT-32 emulation is still as easily accessible on Linux as it is on Windows.

NukeYKT's SC-55mkii emulator will probably be the best possible thing to having a "native" SC-55 emulator for Linux.

realnc wrote on 2024-03-26, 10:49:

I've beeing using MidiPlayer with Sound Canvas VA for years now on Linux with Wine. It works flawlessly

Probably the only way you're ever going to use VST anything is through that method, so if you don't mind the slight overhead of Wine's wineserver and the necessary GDI+/DirectDraw/Direct2D things, more power to you.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1689 of 1699, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DracoNihil wrote on 2024-03-28, 11:53:

I've beeing using MidiPlayer with Sound Canvas VA for years now on Linux with Wine. It works flawlessly

Probably the only way you're ever going to use VST anything is through that method, so if you don't mind the slight overhead of Wine's wineserver and the necessary GDI+/DirectDraw/Direct2D things, more power to you.

Since I can run Doom 4 at 200FPS with Wine, I'm pretty sure MidiPlayer is just fine with "overhead" 😜

Reply 1690 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
realnc wrote on 2024-03-28, 17:31:
DracoNihil wrote on 2024-03-28, 11:53:

Since I can run Doom 4 at 200FPS with Wine, I'm pretty sure MidiPlayer is just fine with "overhead" 😜

Moreover MidiPlayer does not use any fancy GDI+/DirectDraw/Direct2D API calls only oldschool GDI (-). For performance critical graphics like Visualization panel it uses Win32 GDI DIB sections (like WinG did before DirectX) .

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 1691 of 1699, by Karmeck

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

so, with this emulator released, I'm trying to get music from the midi player use the emulator. But I fail to succeed at this. For other use cases the midi player has worked perfectly together with loopmidi. but this is a different use case.

selecting loopmidi as output makes loopmidi stop(?) the port, it turns red. Is there a loop here ? As I have loopmidi as both input and output.

emulator in question
https://github.com/nukeykt/Nuked-SC55

Edit, first thing I try, after this post, is to set the input to non active. Worked directly.

Thank you, for this wonderful software.

Reply 1692 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Karmeck wrote on 2024-04-02, 17:53:
so, with this emulator released, I'm trying to get music from the midi player use the emulator. But I fail to succeed at this. F […]
Show full quote

so, with this emulator released, I'm trying to get music from the midi player use the emulator. But I fail to succeed at this. For other use cases the midi player has worked perfectly together with loopmidi. but this is a different use case.

selecting loopmidi as output makes loopmidi stop(?) the port, it turns red. Is there a loop here ? As I have loopmidi as both input and output.

emulator in question

Edit, first thing I try, after this post, is to set the input to non active. Worked directly.

Hi,
Yeah, If you select the same port for both input and output then you create and infinite Midi loop (not LoopMidi 😀 )
This can never work so in such cases you either have to select a different Midi In port or disable Midi In.

Reply 1693 of 1699, by Karmeck

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-04-02, 19:41:
Hi, Yeah, If you select the same port for both input and output then you create and infinite Midi loop (not LoopMidi :) ) This c […]
Show full quote
Karmeck wrote on 2024-04-02, 17:53:
so, with this emulator released, I'm trying to get music from the midi player use the emulator. But I fail to succeed at this. F […]
Show full quote

emulator in question

Hi,
Yeah, If you select the same port for both input and output then you create and infinite Midi loop (not LoopMidi 😀 )
This can never work so in such cases you either have to select a different Midi In port or disable Midi In.

Makes sense. I'm uping my post count so I can reply to your pm.

Reply 1694 of 1699, by zaphod77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

loopbe1 has stupidly sensitive feedback detection that false positives on a lot of stuff that works fine on real synths, and chokes whenever a midi player tries to fast forward to the music.

i suggest springbeats virtual midi cable driver instead, which should work fine. it now works under windows 11.

the emulator will auto assign itself to the first available virtual midi port on startup, and doesn't seem to let you pick which one, while something like savihost does let you pick which one it listens to. if you have no virtual midi cables, it just won't play a thing.

I wonder what Roland has to say about this? the emulator is using the MAME license, which prohibits commercial use, and i'm reasonably sure this is intentional.

Reply 1695 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zaphod77 wrote on 2024-04-03, 17:39:
loopbe1 has stupidly sensitive feedback detection that false positives on a lot of stuff that works fine on real synths, and cho […]
Show full quote

loopbe1 has stupidly sensitive feedback detection that false positives on a lot of stuff that works fine on real synths, and chokes whenever a midi player tries to fast forward to the music.

i suggest springbeats virtual midi cable driver instead, which should work fine. it now works under windows 11.

the emulator will auto assign itself to the first available virtual midi port on startup, and doesn't seem to let you pick which one, while something like savihost does let you pick which one it listens to. if you have no virtual midi cables, it just won't play a thing.

I wonder what Roland has to say about this? the emulator is using the MAME license, which prohibits commercial use, and i'm reasonably sure this is intentional.

1. We were talking about LoopMidi and not Loopbe1. And LoopMidi also works without problems.
2. I have reported this problem on the Github repository and a fix has already been released:
https://github.com/nukeykt/Nuked-SC55/issues/5
3. Yeah, I think the same.

Reply 1696 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As every Midi enthusiast should know Nuked SC-55 has been released:

If someone is interested here is a dual instance Nuked SC-55 test video with everquest_theme that has serious polyphony problems with a single instance of SC-55.
It's still not perfect but much better than on a single instance.
In the test I used FSMP + its integrated WinMM Multiport VSTi plugin. For 1st port even channels were selected and for 2nd port odd channels:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9_C7sQAnGk

Here is a download link to the test Midi file:
download/file.php?id=190349

PS:
Make sure that you start the 2nd instance of the emulator with the command line argument '-p:x' where x denotes the 2nd port.

Reply 1697 of 1699, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-04-07, 23:02:
As every Midi enthusiast should know Nuked SC-55 has been released: https://github.com/nukeykt/Nuked-SC55 […]
Show full quote

If someone is interested here is a dual instance Nuked SC-55 test video with everquest_theme that has serious polyphony problems with a single instance of SC-55.
In the test I used FSMP + its integrated WinMM Multiport VSTi plugin. For 1st port even channels were selected and for 2nd port odd channels:

PS:
Make sure that you start the 2nd instance of the emulator with the command line argument '-p:x' where x denotes the 2nd port.

Oh wow. I hadn't heard about this project! I wonder if it could be implemented into MT32-Pi instead of Fluidsynth...

Reply 1698 of 1699, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2024-04-15, 12:38:
As every Midi enthusiast should know Nuked SC-55 has been released: https://github.com/nukeykt/Nuked-SC55 […]
Show full quote

PS:

Oh wow. I hadn't heard about this project! I wonder if it could be implemented into MT32-Pi instead of Fluidsynth...

Unfortunately no.
1. The license is non-commercial so it cannot be included in GPL licensed projects (such as MT32-Pi).
2. Because of the emulator current performance requirements it would not be easy to select a proper platform to host the emulator (current Raspberry PI's are too weak for it).

More info:
Re: Nuked-SC55, low-level Roland SC-55mkII emulator announcement

Reply 1699 of 1699, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-04-15, 12:44:
Unfortunately no. 1. The license is non-commercial so it cannot be included in GPL licensed projects (such as MT32-Pi). 2. Becau […]
Show full quote
appiah4 wrote on 2024-04-15, 12:38:
Show full quote

PS:

Unfortunately no.
1. The license is non-commercial so it cannot be included in GPL licensed projects (such as MT32-Pi).
2. Because of the emulator current performance requirements it would not be easy to select a proper platform to host the emulator (current Raspberry PI's are too weak for it).

More info:
Re: Nuked-SC55, low-level Roland SC-55mkII emulator announcement

Oh. I see. That's ok, there is still Masterpiece.sf2 😀