VOGONS

Reply 1060 of 1687, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry I meant the preamp output of the xfi. If the overall volume level of the midi output is higher, it's easier to balance the two, as I can just reduce the xg50 as you said. I will look into the plugin as well though.

Reply 1061 of 1687, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2019-09-01, 06:59:
Hi, Unfortunately I do not have much time nowadays to add new features, especially features that require substantial changes. As […]
Show full quote

Hi,
Unfortunately I do not have much time nowadays to add new features, especially features that require substantial changes.
As I have written before you can use Main menu -> Patch Change Hotkeys to achieve something similar or use the Event Viewer/Debugger to change patches permanently.
You can also use Midi-OX (together with FSMP) to override patches. In Midi-OX you can find this feature in Options->Data Mapping.

Hi again. I worked a lot to understand MidiOX, but there's no way: with data Mapping this function is not possible, because it process midi message one by one and program change and CC are different row. I was thinking, if in the compatibility settings, you'll just add a text area, where could be possible to write and process something like this:

Row 0:
channel (even all); program; bank msb; bank lsb; new program; new bank msb; new bank lsb;
Row n;
channel (even all); program; bank msb; bank lsb; new program; new bank msb; new bank lsb;

And processing this on the fly would be fantastic. I use a lot of synth... Always there are more than 1000 sounds... But GM palette is not always optimized...
Changingf this thext are, fort example, for doom midi music, if i just specify a row like this:

all (channel); 029 (program overdrive guitar); 0 (msb); 0 (lsb); 085 (program another overdrive guitar); 10(new msb); 10(new lsb);

I could test or record all doom midi file (for example) with an updated guitar... without affecting midi... And changing a single line... adapt this midi to every Synth.
Using channel all, that instrument will be changed in the whole midi... wasn't this fantastic to implement?
All with a row, to be interpreted...

Please, I really hope you cold have time to try to implement this.

Thank you Again for yout great software.

Aldo

My Videogames Music Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RetroGamesClub

Reply 1062 of 1687, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroGC wrote on 2020-05-30, 18:37:
Hi again. I worked a lot to understand MidiOX, but there's no way: with data Mapping this function is not possible, because it […]
Show full quote
Falcosoft wrote on 2019-09-01, 06:59:
Hi, Unfortunately I do not have much time nowadays to add new features, especially features that require substantial changes. As […]
Show full quote

Hi,
Unfortunately I do not have much time nowadays to add new features, especially features that require substantial changes.
As I have written before you can use Main menu -> Patch Change Hotkeys to achieve something similar or use the Event Viewer/Debugger to change patches permanently.
You can also use Midi-OX (together with FSMP) to override patches. In Midi-OX you can find this feature in Options->Data Mapping.

Hi again. I worked a lot to understand MidiOX, but there's no way: with data Mapping this function is not possible, because it process midi message one by one and program change and CC are different row. I was thinking, if in the compatibility settings, you'll just add a text area, where could be possible to write and process something like this:

Row 0:
Row n;

And processing this on the fly would be fantastic. I use a lot of synth... Always there are more than 1000 sounds... But GM palette is not always optimized...
Changingf this thext are, fort example, for doom midi music, if i just specify a row like this:

all (channel); 029 (program overdrive guitar); 0 (msb); 0 (lsb); 085 (program another overdrive guitar); 10(new msb); 10(new lsb);

I could test or record all doom midi file (for example) with an updated guitar... without affecting midi... And changing a single line... adapt this midi to every Synth.
Using channel all, that instrument will be changed in the whole midi... wasn't this fantastic to implement?
All with a row, to be interpreted...

Please, I really hope you cold have time to try to implement this.

Thank you Again for yout great software.

Aldo

Sorry Aldo, but it's not likely I can do this anytime soon...

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 1063 of 1687, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Keep waiting... Btw, I hope, with my pooor english, to have explained my request in the correct way.
Thank you for your help.

Reply 1064 of 1687, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@falcosoft,

Just wanted to make you aware that SCVA VST plug-in 32bit is officially no longer available from Roland:

Sound Canvas VA VSTi - No Longer Available in 32bit

I confirmed it today with a rep from Roland.

Reply 1065 of 1687, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
QBiN wrote on 2020-06-01, 15:12:
@falcosoft, […]
Show full quote

@falcosoft,

Just wanted to make you aware that SCVA VST plug-in 32bit is officially no longer available from Roland:

Sound Canvas VA VSTi - No Longer Available in 32bit

I confirmed it today with a rep from Roland.

Thanks for your report. Yes, it's a really sad move from Roland. Nevertheless the trial version (including the 32-bit version) can still be downloaded from Roland and it can be used semi-legally in a never ending trial period for 10 minute sessions...
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/zip/sc … a_win_trial.zip

By the way if your report was related to problems with FSMP an SC-VA I would like to note that 64-bit FSMP works perfectly with 64-bit version of SC-VA VSTi plug-in.

Reply 1066 of 1687, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Falcosoft wrote on 2020-06-01, 17:55:

By the way if your report was related to problems with FSMP an SC-VA I would like to note that 64-bit FSMP works perfectly with 64-bit version of SC-VA VSTi plug-in.

No. Not a problem. I just have both the 32bit and 64bit versions of FSMP installed now, and both work extremely well. Thank you very much for such quality software. I have one 32bit instance to handle the SYXG50 VST plugin, and another to handle SCVA, Munt, and Bassmidi, all in 64bit. It's just a shame, because using Sysex presets to a single instance of FSMP to switch between VST's is no longer possible unless you have a legitimate older 32bit SCVA plugin purchased before these changes by Roland.

(Now... if only a 64bit SYGX50 plugin became available...)

Reply 1067 of 1687, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's a version which possibility to select Asio4All drivers for input when recording?
I've spent about a day trying to get Halion6 working as VST but nothing to do... I've not been able... So i decided to use loop midi and use Halion6 stand alone with loopmidi input... Midi Timing Disaster... so i figured out that it was Sound Blaster SBX Audio Drivers... I've INstalled Asio4All adn magically midi timing issue vanished but... I can no more record anythig because of Asio4All...
Maybe I'm doing something wrong... thank you for your help.
Aldo

Reply 1068 of 1687, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroGC wrote on 2020-06-02, 19:49:
There's a version which possibility to select Asio4All drivers for input when recording? I've spent about a day trying to get Ha […]
Show full quote

There's a version which possibility to select Asio4All drivers for input when recording?
I've spent about a day trying to get Halion6 working as VST but nothing to do... I've not been able... So i decided to use loop midi and use Halion6 stand alone with loopmidi input... Midi Timing Disaster... so i figured out that it was Sound Blaster SBX Audio Drivers... I've INstalled Asio4All adn magically midi timing issue vanished but... I can no more record anythig because of Asio4All...
Maybe I'm doing something wrong... thank you for your help.
Aldo

Unfortunately on Win 7/8/10 Asio4All uses exclusive WASAPI mode that blocks all other audio applications ( only the application that connects to Asio4All works) . It has nothing to do with FSMP this affects all audio applications no matter what API they try to use:
https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/thre … olution.170686/
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=197342
Not all ASIO drivers have this blocking nature e.g. Sound Blaster ASIO drivers enable other audio applications to function properly.

Reply 1069 of 1687, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This times, it took to me a lot of time to solve. I've used generic Asio low latency driver... but now i Think I'll try again with asio4all (but not know... this time it has been frustrating to have all things working). I've used loopmidi to arrive to Halion6. Then output audio to Digital Output of my SB ZX; then i plugged an optical cable to my SB connecting Digital optical Out to Digital Optical In and I've been able to record from SB ZX audio from Digital input. Halion is absolutely interesting, even if GM palette is not so optimized... and I think it will took really a lot of time to get good results... btw, in this configuration, it's pleasant to use, because there's no need to get creazy with cubase (as I'm not a musician but just a user).

Reply 1070 of 1687, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

HI,
just another info... I'm just trying another synth (I've just sold the Yamaha motif... for that trouble with the start of the midi file)... and here I?ve almost the same issue (but i've not tryied the usb... just the midi cable)... It's hard, to insert a flag... to add a second (abount... 4/4... i don't know) of silence.... inside the midi file when playing... so that this issue could be solved with every external synth...
As usual, thank you for your help.
Aldo

Reply 1071 of 1687, by RetroGC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Edit: in this case it was something like a digital pop at the beginning of each track, no a midi issue. Solved, I mean: i was trying to record road rash music... but i think that there's something inside the midi (maybe a sysex or i don't kown... if some one want to analize, it's from mirsoft that i get those midi)... Now I'm recording bermuda syndrome music and in this case midi files are working fine with no pop ad the beginning of the track. Tryed different settings... seems like a small pop with those tracks remain.

Reply 1072 of 1687, by Meowdori

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Zoltan

I've been using your program for well over a year already, mostly for general playback of XG and GS MIDI music outside of games, and it quickly earned my approval. At this point, after all the improvements and feature implementations it's gone through over time i don't think there's anything better suited for my purposes, at least on Windows systems. So thank you for developing FSMP in the first place.

I have several questions, mostly concerning the maintenance of the program itself rather than new features (probably because i don't have much to suggest, as fuctionality-wise it already covers most of my needs, on top of you not having much time to dedicate to it recently)

1. Do you keep the archive of previous releases public and online? I wasn't able to locate it myself. Even though at this moment i don't really need older versions, since the latest works perfectly, i think it's good to have the possibilty of downgrading if such a need arises, for whatever reason (compatibilty with older systems especially comes to mind, although FSMP doesn't seem to be in danger of breaking it anytime soon)

In case there's no such thing/you don't plan to maintain it, i'm thinking of archiving each release on my Archive.org profile (to my understanding the license permits redistribution - correct me if i'm wrong)

2. Have you ever considered switching the licensing model to open source? Setting my preferences aside, i think it would be actually beneficial for the community of its users in the event of you ever deciding to halt or abandon the development indefinitely, so it wouldn't ever end up stuck in eternal limbo (which would be a very sad perspective, given how good it is)

3. Now to actual feature request, i briefly skimmed through the thread, and remember someone suggesting adding full support for multi-port MIDI sequences, using port preference metadata to map additional 16-channel domains (including external MIDI outputs, aside of the internal BASS engine). I know this was one of the most complex and unlikely ones to ever see the light of the day, but just for the sake of it, i wanted to say that you have one more person who's interested in it now.

4. Out of pure curiosity, as i don't care for that component myself (i'd rather use trackers to write and play module music) - why is the mod2midi even a thing in FSMP? MIDI and module music being inherently very different technologies with different goals don't translate between each other well, so the mere idea of mod2midi had always been perplexing me.

Reply 1073 of 1687, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Meowdori wrote on 2020-06-16, 11:54:
Hello Zoltan […]
Show full quote

Hello Zoltan

I've been using your program for well over a year already, mostly for general playback of XG and GS MIDI music outside of games, and it quickly earned my approval. At this point, after all the improvements and feature implementations it's gone through over time i don't think there's anything better suited for my purposes, at least on Windows systems. So thank you for developing FSMP in the first place.

1. Do you keep the archive of previous releases public and online? I wasn't able to locate it myself. Even though at this moment i don't really need older versions, since the latest works perfectly, i think it's good to have the possibilty of downgrading if such a need arises, for whatever reason (compatibilty with older systems especially comes to mind, although FSMP doesn't seem to be in danger of breaking it anytime soon)

In case there's no such thing/you don't plan to maintain it, i'm thinking of archiving each release on my Archive.org profile (to my understanding the license permits redistribution - correct me if i'm wrong)

2. Have you ever considered switching the licensing model to open source? Setting my preferences aside, i think it would be actually beneficial for the community of its users in the event of you ever deciding to halt or abandon the development indefinitely, so it wouldn't ever end up stuck in eternal limbo (which would be a very sad perspective, given how good it is)

3. Now to actual feature request, i briefly skimmed through the thread, and remember someone suggesting adding full support for multi-port MIDI sequences, using port preference metadata to map additional 16-channel domains (including external MIDI outputs, aside of the internal BASS engine). I know this was one of the most complex and unlikely ones to ever see the light of the day, but just for the sake of it, i wanted to say that you have one more person who's interested in it now.

4. Out of pure curiosity, as i don't care for that component myself (i'd rather use trackers to write and play module music) - why is the mod2midi even a thing in FSMP? MIDI and module music being inherently very different technologies with different goals don't translate between each other well, so the mere idea of mod2midi had always been perplexing me.

Hi,
Thanks for your kind words. You're welcome.
1. Since I have very restricted free space on my server only the latest test, latest official, and last but one official releases are available. Currently:
http://falcosoft.hu/midiplayer_58_test.zip (both x86 and x64 versions are included).
http://falcosoft.hu/midiplayer_57.zip
http://falcosoft.hu/midiplayer_57_x64.zip
http://falcosoft.hu/midiplayer_56.zip
http://falcosoft.hu/midiplayer_56_x64.zip

But I have all binaries saved up until version 3.0. All of them are about 100 MB. Of corse you can upload them to Archive.org. I have absolutely no problem with this. The question is where I should upload all the zips to (where you can download them from).

2. There are many problems that prevent making FSMP open source currently . You can read about some of them here:
Re: Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi

3. Definitely not in the near future 😀

4. It was an experiment with my SB Live! to use its hardware synth engine (hw based interpolation etc.) for module playback. In some way this method is similar to how GUS was used in trackers. Actually it can sound very good when the conversion is successful. Of course it's not a must have feature for everyone but it can be a nice one for the ones who are interested in some experimenting 😀 E.g.:
Re: Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi

Reply 1074 of 1687, by Meowdori

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Zoltan
Thanks for very swift reply!

1. As for the archiving, i'm glad you kept all these old releases - If you wish to make them available for me (and others) to dowload i think you could put them onto, say, Google Drive (or different cloud drive if you use something else), either as a folder or a single, zipped archive. I'll get to uploading them sometime soon onto archive.org and will share the link here for preservation.

2. Oh, that's unfortunate, but i can understand the licensing issues that individual components introduce

3&4. Ahhh i see, thanks for explanation 😁

@RetroGC

RetroGC wrote on 2020-06-02, 19:49:

I've INstalled Asio4All adn magically midi timing issue vanished but... I can no more record anythig because of Asio4All...
Maybe I'm doing something wrong...

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to achieve, but there's an open source generic ASIO implementation that seems better than ASIO4ALL, and lets you pick any of the OS' backend APIs, so you're not limited to WASAPI Exclusive Mode or Kernel Streaming, like it's the case with A4A. You might want to give it a go and see if it's of any help.
https://github.com/dechamps/FlexASIO

Reply 1075 of 1687, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Meowdori wrote on 2020-06-16, 12:54:

@Zoltan
Thanks for very swift reply!
1. As for the archiving, i'm glad you kept all these old releases - If you wish to make them available for me (and others) to dowload i think you could put them onto, say, Google Drive (or different cloud drive if you use something else), either as a folder or a single, zipped archive. I'll get to uploading them sometime soon onto archive.org and will share the link here for preservation.

Here's the Google drive link you can use to download older binaries from:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1y8qfr … 475?usp=sharing

Reply 1077 of 1687, by Meowdori

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I uploaded the entire archive, it's live now at https://archive.org/details/falcosoft-midi-player

I packed all of them into yet another archive to contain them all, in hindsight i'm not sure if it's better this way or to upload the all files individually (might change it with the next update, depending on what others think is more convenient)

I wasn't sure what to put into the "publication date" field. Since it's multiple relases, i think the date of the earliest one would be the most logical, but unfortunately i don't have the information on when v3.0 was released, so for now it's set to the date of the latest stable release. Let me know if i should change it to anything specific.

PS. It's not really a necessity, but whenever (and if) you have time, i'd like to get the checksums (i.e. SHA-1/SHA-256) for each version's zip archive, just to ascertain that nothing got corrupted during the transfer over my not-the-most-reliable connection.

PS. 2 You can remove the files from your Google Drive now, if you feel like they're taking up space unnecessarily

Thanks again!

Reply 1078 of 1687, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Meowdori wrote on 2020-06-16, 20:09:
I uploaded the entire archive, it's live now at https://archive.org/details/falcosoft-midi-player […]
Show full quote

I uploaded the entire archive, it's live now at https://archive.org/details/falcosoft-midi-player

I packed all of them into yet another archive to contain them all, in hindsight i'm not sure if it's better this way or to upload the all files individually (might change it with the next update, depending on what others think is more convenient)

I wasn't sure what to put into the "publication date" field. Since it's multiple relases, i think the date of the earliest one would be the most logical, but unfortunately i don't have the information on when v3.0 was released, so for now it's set to the date of the latest stable release. Let me know if i should change it to anything specific.

PS. It's not really a necessity, but whenever (and if) you have time, i'd like to get the checksums (i.e. SHA-1/SHA-256) for each version's zip archive, just to ascertain that nothing got corrupted during the transfer over my not-the-most-reliable connection.

PS. 2 You can remove the files from your Google Drive now, if you feel like they're taking up space unnecessarily

Thanks again!

Hi,
1. I have just checked and it seems Google drive has preserved the original dates of the zip files. (It's the last modified field if you change the view of the folder to List view on Google drive). The date of the earliest version 3.0 is : Sep. 26, 2015

2. Maybe later. (But I do not think it's necessary. It's very easy to check. If you can successfully unzip the content then the zip is not damaged.)

3. Contrary to my server my Google drive has more space than needed so it's not urgent for me to delete the files.

4. !Important: It seems you missed the right license. I have just checked and it's right on my site and also in the Readme.html file but wrong on your Archive.org page.
This is the right one:
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. ( https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/ )
But on your page you listed this one:
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. ( https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/ )

The non-commercial part is important because of the bad habit of different download sites that notoriously bundle my software together with different adware/malware even without opt-out possibility (so called download managers...).

Reply 1079 of 1687, by Meowdori

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi
Sorry for having kept you hanging, i wasn't online at the time you noticed it, can't believe i overlooked the non-commercial part. It's all corrected now, including the publication date set to reflect the v3.0.
And yeah, i totally agree bundling adware (or rather straight up malware, because more often than not it behaves similarly invasive) is an off-putting practice, i'm always extremely wary of it.

EDIT: Small bug report for version 5.7 (32bit):
When playing a file, using a VSTi (specifically S-YXG50 in this particular tested case), going to device setup menu and repeatedly (rather quickly) untincking/ticking the "Use BASS" checkbox at least 3 times results in a memory protection fault (recoverable, without a crash). Tested OS is Windows XP Pro SP3 32bit.